User Tag List

Thread: Tapered head tubes: Suppliers and mitering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tapered head tubes: Suppliers and mitering.

Couple of questions in two areas, both regarding tapered 1.125/1.5 head tubes.

1) Suppliers for steel tapered head tubes. I know there's Nova, Deddachiai, and there was one posted a couple days ago (a MTB builder that I forgot to bookmark and can't find now -- anyone?). What others?

2) I don't have BikeCAD in front of me, as I'm at my day job, and the Nova tube notcher doesn't cover it... Those programs that pump out the paper templates for miters -- which one(s) will accommodate the tapered head tube? I could use the multi-million $$ CAD system at my day job during the off-times to generate a template, and I can see where there would be so many variables as to make it near impossible to program (how far from the end the down tube intersects, what the actual taper is on the HT, etc). Are there any out there?

TIA!
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tapered head tubes: Suppliers and mitering.

Columbus makes this one
    Solid BMX is marketing some too

Bike Cad can do a tapered head tube spec - it allows you to dimension the sections of the HT - taper length , diameters at top, bottom, top / bottom section length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    Couple of questions in two areas, both regarding tapered 1.125/1.5 head tubes.

1) Suppliers for steel tapered head tubes. I know there's Nova, Deddachiai, and there was one posted a couple days ago (a MTB builder that I forgot to bookmark and can't find now -- anyone?). What others?

2) I don't have BikeCAD in front of me, as I'm at my day job, and the Nova tube notcher doesn't cover it... Those programs that pump out the paper templates for miters -- which one(s) will accommodate the tapered head tube? I could use the multi-million $$ CAD system at my day job during the off-times to generate a template, and I can see where there would be so many variables as to make it near impossible to program (how far from the end the down tube intersects, what the actual taper is on the HT, etc). Are there any out there?

TIA!
    Apart from the tapered specific ones (columbus, deddacciai, etc), you can also use any of the 44mm ones (paragon, reynolds, etc) and combine zs44 top and ec44 low cups so to fit any tapered steering tube, which gives you much "easier" mitering if you're into templates.

Anyway, if you definetly want a "pure" tapered headtube shape, then have a tryo to do the mitering by hand-eye coordination and you'll see it's much more easy than thought, no templates needed, just a bit of practice/patience and you'll end up doing it as a memorized routine

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amaro Bikes View Post
    Apart from the tapered specific ones (columbus, deddacciai, etc), you can also use any of the 44mm ones (paragon, reynolds, etc) and combine zs44 top and ec44 low cups so to fit any tapered steering tube, which gives you much "easier" mitering if you're into templates.

Anyway, if you definetly want a "pure" tapered headtube shape, then have a tryo to do the mitering by hand-eye coordination and you'll see it's much more easy than thought, no templates needed, just a bit of practice/patience and you'll end up doing it as a memorized routine

Cheers
    This is where a full size frame drawing makes it easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are additional stocking reinforcement rings for our tapered head tubes.

Pictures tomorrow.

Solid Bikes — Tapered Headtube Reinforcement Rings, 34/44

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Albie View Post
    We are additional stocking reinforcement rings for our tapered head tubes.

Pictures tomorrow.

Solid Bikes — Tapered Headtube Reinforcement Rings, 34/44
    Sweet!
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john