Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My Steinhart needs a deep clean

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Steinhart needs a deep clean

I've done a search and I know it's been asked before but... I have a Steinhart Ocean Classic - ETA 2824 movement that's about 6 years old maybe 7. It's loses about 15 minutes a week and is way over due for a deep clean and lube. Send it back to Steinhart? Is there a good place Stateside to send? Inquiring minds and all. Thanks in advance. Stay safe and warm my East Coast Brothers!
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My Steinhart needs a deep clean

RGM Watches in Mount Joy, PA would do a superb job.
    RGM Watch Co.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    RGM Watches in Mount Joy, PA would do a superb job.
    RGM Watch Co.
    Jinx. I was going to say the same. They did a tune up on my Omega Seamaster a while back. They repair watches of all kinds, go figure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would not call 6 years "way overdue" for an overhaul of a swiss ETA movement personally. Its ready, for sure, but not way overdue. it's not out of the question to get 10 years between overhauls on a swiss auto.

15 minutes/week is really pretty bad. if you noticed this as a "step change" loss of accuracy, and the mechanical movement sounds otherwise OK (sweep hand moves smoothly, no obnoxious noises when you put it to your ear...), there is a good chance the watch has become magnetized. I've had this happen to auto watches before, and i bought a cheap $10 electric watch de-magnetizer from ebay that cured the watch instantly.

by all means send the watch to RGM to have it overhauled, but if you want to potentially buy a little more time, the de-magnitizer may be a first step. just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    i would not call 6 years "way overdue" for an overhaul of a swiss ETA movement personally. Its ready, for sure, but not way overdue. it's not out of the question to get 10 years between overhauls on a swiss auto.

15 minutes/week is really pretty bad. if you noticed this as a "step change" loss of accuracy, and the mechanical movement sounds otherwise OK (sweep hand moves smoothly, no obnoxious noises when you put it to your ear...), there is a good chance the watch has become magnetized. I've had this happen to auto watches before, and i bought a cheap $10 electric watch de-magnetizer from ebay that cured the watch instantly.

by all means send the watch to RGM to have it overhauled, but if you want to potentially buy a little more time, the de-magnitizer may be a first step. just a thought.
    Perhaps I'm misinformed, but it was my impression that a magnetized watch typically gains time, not loses time, right? That was certainly my experience with my wife's watch that was magnetized. We also bought the cheap demagnetizer from Amazon, and now my wife's watch keeps great time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

europeanwatch.com

Great service, great watches yes I have a watch problem

KJ