User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/8" 18v cordless drill/driver recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 3/8" 18v cordless drill/driver recommendations?

(feel free to move this to OT if it's not bicycle-centric enough)

I want an 18volt 3/8" cordless drill/driver for around-the-house construction & repairs. I'm sure I don't need "the best" but I don't want something that I'll need to replace in another 12 months. I had a modestly-priced Black & Decker several years ago that worked great until exactly two weeks after the warranty expired...since then I've been making do with my grandfather's 50-year-old corded drill.

Last I looked Makita, DeWalt, and Hilti were considered the shiznit. Any specific recommendations?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 3/8" 18v cordless drill/driver recommendations?

Rigid has a free battery replacement program if that matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't 18v and it's not 3/8" chuck but for most things it is superior to a regular screw gun. Impact is where it's at.

M12â„¢ Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/4" Hex Impact Driver M12â„¢ Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/4" Hex Impact Driver | Milwaukee Tool

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a combo from Rigid, an 18v cordless drill and 18v impact driver for about the cost of some other 18v cordless drills on their own. They have been working fantastic, batteries hold their charge for long enough and the build quality seems nice.

I'll echo what Jonathan said, biggest selling feature for me was lifetime warranty including batteries. Batteries dying are pretty common thing to wear out with most cordless tools and a new battery can sometimes cost you $70-$90...so long term, I thought this was good option. There are enough Home Depot's around to support you as well.

Impact driver is nice to have, but it drives the screws in really fast which isn't good for a lot of applications where things are a bit torque sensitive like drywall or certain woods. At least that's what I found. Building a storage loft in my garage out of 2x4's was a breeze with the impact driver though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have put Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Rigid and everything else sold in NY State through hard construction site workouts and regular use around the home. I also spent time speaking with a tool repair guy who is a warrantee service center for all of them.

Makita, Makita, Makita. The batteries do die, I got some bad ones and had to trade them in. But I will not buy a different brand again unless something changes dramatically.

I also concur with the poster above, if driving is what you want to do, get an impact driver. It will make a difference and last forever. I have driven literally thousands of ledger lock screws 6"-12" with an 18v Makita impact driver, sometimes as much as a hundred a day. A drill would have burned out long before that. If you must get a drill and make it work for all, invest. The difference between the cheep ones and the good ones is big in real application. Driving with a drill is hard work.

-doug
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I bought a Makita 2-piece kit with an impact driver and drill a few years ago. After blowing through several other similar items from Bosch and Milwaukee, the Makitas are night and day better. Hold a charge forever, great torque, good ergonomics, fast charging. They're one of the few tools I have where, every time I pick them up, I think what a great investment they were. Buy from a reputable source and make sure you're getting the real deal (not from Home Depot; many manufacturers must cut costs to meet their price points and provide alternate models with cheaper parts) and you won't regret it.

The whole kit with impact driver, drill, 2 batteries, charger and case was <$300. Worth every penny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    I bought a Makita 2-piece kit with an impact driver and drill a few years ago.
    every time I pick them up, I think what a great investment they were.
    $300. Worth every penny.
    This is spot on with my experience. Well worth the investment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this drill from Hilti. Lithium ion seems key. The batteries have a lot of oomph. But they are also big and the drill can actually get in its own way sometimes, so I have a smaller cordless driver that really comes in handy. Amazingly, it is not a piece of crap, even though it looks exactly like some of those cheaper do-alls. The Hilti is WAY more drill than I need now (I wish I had it when I worked on houses,) but I was weak, it was on sale, and I am a sucker for good tools. The big deal on these things (other than the batteries) is the gears inside. There are fancy drills that go through gears like water and not so fancy drills that last forever. I am definitely not testing the limits on mine, but so far so good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 more for Rigid, their tools are awesome. The impact driver is a beast and is likely overkill for many applications.

I prefer a corded drill for stuff around the shop and cordless for construction and up on the ladder. The Dewalt 3/8th corded is a great tool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 and note, usually when they give you the 2 pc kit they give you the low end drill. This is not a problem if you know it and can deal with it. If that is the case, you must not drive with that drill, and keep the drilling to moderate strain applications. These are good deals if you know what you are getting and use it the way it's designed.

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    This is spot on with my experience. Well worth the investment.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    I bought a combo from Rigid, an 18v cordless drill and 18v impact driver for about the cost of some other 18v cordless drills on their own. They have been working fantastic, batteries hold their charge for long enough and the build quality seems nice.

I'll echo what Jonathan said, biggest selling feature for me was lifetime warranty including batteries. Batteries dying are pretty common thing to wear out with most cordless tools and a new battery can sometimes cost you $70-$90...so long term, I thought this was good option. There are enough Home Depot's around to support you as well.

Impact driver is nice to have, but it drives the screws in really fast which isn't good for a lot of applications where things are a bit torque sensitive like drywall or certain woods. At least that's what I found. Building a storage loft in my garage out of 2x4's was a breeze with the impact driver though!
    This is what I eventually moved to as well, the added benefit to the Rigid / Ryobi is that the battery packs can be opened so when they give up the ghost, and they will, I can take them to the local battery shop and get them rebuilt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craftsman 19.2v - going on 11 yrs and both batteries still work - perferct for DIYer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seems to me, in my experience that folks who make a living using their tools, in the majority choose the familiar yellow dewalt brand. that was good enough for me, and i have a nice 18v dewalt. it'd done plenty of hard work and keeps going, no complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the makita 2 pack for around 220.00. You get a drill and an impact driver. Decent tool. Wanna spend more money? Get a Panasonic IP drill. Nicer fit and finish- better ergonomics, better batteries. Wanna spend even more money? Get a Festool. They make two types: T handle style and a D handle style. They also sell a kit that allows you to put on three different chucks(eccentric, right angle, and quick release). Really, really nice. They recently came out with a smaller Dhandle type drill that is less money. I have the festool and was an rabid panasonic user until the price of their drills almost doubled. The makita is a really good drill for the price. I've a few around the shop and they get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Might I suggest as an alternative notion the 12v combo set by Hitachi--the drill driver and impact wrench,that you can get for less than $100 refurbed. Not a set for building a deck, but for 95% of the other stuff, you'll appreciate the size and weight of this set, and for the price you really can't go wrong. I'm rebuilding a flooded camp house and always reach for these before the big heavy dewalt stuff. Makita is nice too. Make sure you get lithium ion and not ni-cad or ni-mh whatever you do

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    Hitachi--the drill driver and impact wrench,that you can get for less than $100 refurbed.
    I started grown-up life with a Dewalt that was superb. Eventually, the battery withered to a point of worthlessness and it wasn't cost-effective to replace. Tried a Craftsmen that I never liked.
    Almost bought the Makita Li-Ion, but my dad, who uses tools for a living, had a horrible time with his set. He's gone through countless replacement batteries that the company has been great in supplying, but he advised against it.
    Decided to pick up the Hitachi from BigSkyTool and LOVE 'em. So small, simple, ergonomic and powerful. Charge is super-fast. Way, way, way nicer than lots of the options and pretty darn cheap. Really can't go wrong given the cost when they're on sale (which always seems to be the case with one kit or another).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VTMike View Post
    I started grown-up life with a Dewalt that was superb. Eventually, the battery withered to a point of worthlessness and it wasn't cost-effective to replace. Tried a Craftsmen that I never liked.
    Almost bought the Makita Li-Ion, but my dad, who uses tools for a living, had a horrible time with his set. He's gone through countless replacement batteries that the company has been great in supplying, but he advised against it.
    Decided to pick up the Hitachi from BigSkyTool and LOVE 'em. So small, simple, ergonomic and powerful. Charge is super-fast. Way, way, way nicer than lots of the options and pretty darn cheap. Really can't go wrong given the cost when they're on sale (which always seems to be the case with one kit or another).
    Yup. That's the set I got, same source. Like I said, you really appreciate the size getting into tight spots, and working overhead or other awkward spots where the macho big drills just won't go or get dang heavy. And the impact feels like it could just about break a wrist (people get hung up on volts, but don't get that volts don't equal amps--bigger battery and capacity, yes)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryobi is just fine, no need to spend more for a home handyman. Even jobbers use Ryobi, not because they are better than Milwaukee but because they are good and stuff gets stolen from job sites. I have had mine for years and done full on large remodel projects. If Rigid has a battery warranty then go for that because the batteries die and they aren't cheap. Rigid is same manufacturer and higher spec (maybe) as Ryobi. Think Buick versus Chevy - same assembly line. As far as I can tell Rigid and Ryobi are Home Depot house brand or near abouts. Unless you need a 1/2 inch drill or a hammer drill don't even consider a corded drill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stay the hell away from Rigid imho. We've burned up three of them in the last year and a half. Warranty claims have been a major hassle with all of them (one of them had to go back 4 times).

Makita, Milwaukee, and Bosh are all holding up here.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've gotten new Rigid batteries a few times. Just a couple of minutes for an over the counter exchange. If you need a more serious repair to a Rigid tool, be prepared to wait. In my case a part needed to be ordered and - get this - it came from China by container ship. Took two months to get the tool fixed. That said, my repair depot claims they'll fix any Rigid product no matter the cause of damage. If you drive your truck over a tool, it's covered. (In the case described above, I dropped the tool and it cracked. All fixed now, good as new.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast