Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

Man - that sounds like all of the good stuff. Every time we go out to the country, my wife tells me I should relax a little, just doesn't get the work itself is the reward. Enjoy it - should be a lovely weekend for wholesome labor.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We're making plans for our trip to Wyoming in about a month. We will be at my sister-in-law's place for a week while we re-grade the driveways and get the electrical set up. We're going to see how much it will cost to run the water line from the road to the cabin site. The other option is to purchase a 500 gallon tank with a demand pump on a trailer. We can fill it up for seventy five cents or just have a hydrant at the road to fill it. The advantage of a tank on a trailer is that we can drain the entire system before leaving in late August. No water, no frozen pipes. We have the added challenge of taking down an eventing course on BLM land. My wife and her sister have done big equestrian events for two decades but the lease is up and will not renew. That will take 2-3 weeks of hard work with skidsteers and flatbed trailers to move most of the obstacles to our property. We will haul about half of the obstacles back to Arizona to build a course here for winter events. Somewhere in there I'll ride my bikes.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck with all that Big man, it sounds like alot. Yes, please ride your bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We had a houseguest last night. He was last seen heading for the Grand Canyon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How cool is that!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    How cool is that!!!!
    We had a great visit, came close to solving world hunger, and spent some time with his atlas discussing routes. His rough plan when he departed was to detour through Grand Canyon NP then drop back down to the east side of Flagstaff. I hope he enjoyed his drive today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started crying when I got out of the van and saw the canyon. Same thing happened when I saw a Leonardo in the British Museum. Gave me vertigo too. Van was peckish- altitude sickness. But I made it to Albuquerque before dark. Three more days I figure.

I enjoyed Bill’s company enormously and the story about the talk show host made my day.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in an TV park in Tulsa tonight being serenaded by F-15’s ( I think) at the moment. The owner was impressed I made the drive from Albuquerque today. It’s 700 miles and change. The van likes warm temperatures and lower elevations. Wind made the drive a bit challenging, but there was little traffic and the roads were good. There’s a whole lot of nowhere everywhere I’ve been and it’s beautiful. The park has showers and I used the Alcatraz soap Bill’s wife made and gave me. I am clean for the first time since leaving Lompoc. I’ll leave at dawn and see what the day brings tomorrow. Home in two. I can’t wait to see the dogs and sleep in my own bed.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never seen one of these. Cute.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a cool JIS Manatee on SF Bay craigslist right now ;)
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs...611606063.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had better go pick it up.
    Home now. Five 13 hour days. Smoked.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We did a weekend trip to Payson, AZ, for a working equitation show (dressage, ease of handling, and speed round). It was 4.5 hours each way including a white knuckle descent of the Mogollon Rim with 7000 pounds of truck and 10,000 pound of trailer. It was all good, over the winter I replaced the tires on the truck and trailer. Engine braking with the 6.7 power stroke and ten speed transmission is comforting. We had windy conditions each way on the trip so I averaged 12 mpg. Everything in the trailer worked well including the ten new LED light fixtures I installed in the past two weeks. We're planning on hitting the road on Friday for Wyoming with an overnight at the fairgrounds in Grand Junction. They have great horse facilities and full hookups ($32).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hope you get to MTB next time you are out there. The highline trail off the 260 Trailhead (easy to access when westbound toward Payson, can't remember if it is an easy left into the TH parking if eastbound), is one of my favorite rides I've done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    hope you get to MTB next time you are out there. The highline trail off the 260 Trailhead (easy to access when westbound toward Payson, can't remember if it is an easy left into the TH parking if eastbound), is one of my favorite rides I've done.
    I did two laps of Monument Peak loop. Otherwise it was a really busy weekend. My wife trains two horses that competed on Saturday and won her class on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All packed and hooked up. Leaving shortly for Wyoming. We're staying in Grand Junction at the Mesa County Fairgrounds tonight. $32 full hookups and $15 for a horse stall. I know the area well, I was stranded there for 5 days last summer when the truck spit the bit. We should be rolling through Monument Valley around 8am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Safe Travels Sir....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill has a great life. Be safe hoss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We arrived at our temporary compound after two nights on the road. We would have arrived last night, but my nephew was graduating from Central Wyoming College in Riverton so we stopped there last night. We stop at county fairgrounds which usually have reasonable full hookups plus a stall for Syndicate. Mesa County (Grand Junction) was better than Fremont County (Riverton), but both were more than adequate. We're all set up, leveled, and plugged in. We filled up the water tank before backing in. That's our only challenge until our property is ready.

We only brought one horse, so the other stall was full of travel cases of artwork for a show this summer. The travel trailer had about 1000 bars of soap so we could ship all summer. www.farmsoap.com The horse trailer is my shop and storage for bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang, did not know about the soap business or I missed that memo. ORDERED :) I'm a fan of Olive Oil soap.
    -J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Dang, did not know about the soap business or I missed that memo. ORDERED :) I'm a fan of Olive Oil soap.
    -J
    Putting the order in the mail in the am. She put a bonus eucalyptus and tea tree bar in the box. I'm a fan of the peppermint scrub, especially after a ride.