User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving 2015 - what's going on in your kitchen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thanksgiving 2015 - what's going on in your kitchen?

This year, as with last, I'm in charge of a few sides. Mashed potatoes, stuffing, and I'll probably also make Josh's baked sweet potatoes. My cousin is likely to employ the deep fryer again so I don't know if I need to do an oven turkey yet. Time will tell. So far I'm planning on the following.

-Buttermilk red mashed potatoes: cut in half or quarters (skins on), soak overnight in large ziploc bags full of buttermilk, cook up the next day (still in the buttermilk), mash them, add salt and pepper. These were a big hit last year. So bad, yet so good.

-Plain russet mashed potatoes, you know the type. I may or may not add some roasted garlic depending on my mood. Will probably peel these.

-Stuffing, two batches, one with oysters, one without. Onion, celery, water chestnuts, smoked oysters, bread/croutons, eleven herbs and spices. Easy peasy.

What do you folks have planned for this year?
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Thanksgiving 2015 - what's going on in your kitchen?

always mashed potatoes and gravy. always.
    these are something like, red potatoes, skin on, add lots of butter, lots of salt, lots of pepper, then something like milk or sour cream.
    sometimes i add garlic, depends on the mood.

i have smoked turkeys before but this year i'm going to smoke a standing rib roast. will smoke it hot and clean. will probably throw on some salmon for my pescatarian bro and his wife...and because it is so good i will eat some too...

my little bro wants to smoke a brisket but i told him hell naw on thursday coz i don't want to babysit the smoker all night or early morning, so i am smoking one for him on sunday and he can reheat it for turkey day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smaller group than in past years. Current menu plan says spatchcocked turkey on the grill. A vegan "Festive Thanksgiving Torte" for those who lean that way. A caldron of Lapis Daging over rice in honor of my sister-in-law. My grandmother's sausage stuffing is required along with a vegan version that has cashews, apples, and lots of fresh sage. Sweet potatoes will make an appearance. Mushroom gravy over it all. Still narrowing the veggies down. Need something that isn't yellow or orange. Playing with ideas for a tabbouleh with shredded Brussels sprouts, apple, walnut and pomegranate.

Deserts are delegated for the most part.

Shopping tomorrow. Cooking starts this weekend.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're hosting for the first time ever. 10 people, 6 adults, 4 kids. Highlights will include bacon wrapped water chestnuts and roasted brussel sprouts with bacon. We'll probably roast a turkey too.

Signature alcoholic beverage is TBD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hosting a horde of inlaws for the 5th year in a row. Some have manners, most don't but they all know how to eat and in particular, drink. Mrs. RW preps and cooks the turkey and the trimmings, along with the signature vegetable dishes and the pumpkin pie. I'm just the sous chef on this special day. Two of the sister in laws do actually pitch in and bring some awesome desserts as well as help prep the table and clean up. If my two older kids weren't coming home from college, I might post this in the grump section...can't wait to see them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only responsible for desert. I'm thinking of doing a cranberry & pear tart with maple frangipane and maybe a walnut crust. Might be too much going on all at once. Will continue to contemplate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking like I am hosting a largish group this year...he!! yeah :)
    spatchcocked turkey on the grill yes.
    Sweet potatoes yes.
    One of our guests from the Porcine Halloween Party sent a large bag of pecans from Georgia so you can guess what I plan for that. Straight up bad for your pies.
    Have y'all thought about making a herb infused butter for your various mashed starch dishes? I usually include a huge mound of fresh rosemary with the turkey during cooking so it's really neat to carry that flavor to the starch...just a suggestion.
    Also, I have GOT to make the jalapeno/apricot/cranberry relish again even if I'm the only person who eats it ;)
    '

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm charged with oversight of brining and roasting the bird. Gonna make a knockout traditional stuffing...all about the ingredients and execution. Root vegetable roasted in...duck fat.

Duck Fat

I'm doing the gravy, making a stock, etc... others are making garlic mash, sweet potato & banana, pies, green beans...I have half a mind to do a Lobster Stew...

Uh...Buying some ridiculous Key Lime Pies from a guy in Red Hook
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just us this year.
    Two adults, a two year old, and a couple newborns.
    Plus a dog.

Anitpast- salami, mozz, artichokes, stuffed mushrooms
    Smoked turkey- hopefully the butcher can get me a smallish one in the "10-14lb range" he quoted.
    Roasted potatoes.
    Brussel sprouts- roasted/charred.
    French green beans w/ almonds.
    Cranberry sauce (jarred stuff this year.)
    Apple pie.
    A nice bottle of Gigondas.

Leftovers will be turned into turkey and pork sausage chili, and having friends over on Saturday.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a version (from NYT) of the fresh cranberry/apricot/jalapeno relish I make and nobody eats. Make this two days ahead and mold it in something like a coffee cup than flip it onto a blue plate. It's d@mn good. IIRC It needs some lime to get the taste just right. Keep the total liquid content as low as possible by wringing some of the components a weee bit. This helps it to set in the mold.

Cranberry-Jalapeno Relish
    TOTAL TIME12 minutes (plus 30 minutes for standing) 1 orange
    1 cup whole, fresh cranberries
    2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
    2 teaspoons seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper
    Maple syrup to taste (about 1 1/2 tablespoons)
    Preparation
    1.Grate the zest from the orange and set aside. Remove the white pith and seeds and cut the orange into sections.
    2.Place the zest, orange sections, cranberries, ginger, cilantro and jalapeno in a food processor. Pulse just until cranberries are coarsely chopped. Stir in maple syrup. Cover and let stand for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roasting a turkey for a big group of 30 somethings who aren't with their families. Just going to brine and roast. And then gravy as well. Thankful it isn't at my house! Will be doing everything at my future sister in laws place. Phew. I don't mind buying and roasting, but I really do appreciate not hosting.
    Nash Taylor - Oakland CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pal of mine has done an imu for the past few years. Word is out that they have to move from their place this year. (UH Faculty housing, eventually you get kicked out). I'm putting a 15 lb turkey in, cavity will be stuffed with sushi rice, the outside will be wrapped up in ti leaves and then foil. Into the pit tonight. Show up in the morning and take it out. Keep fingers crossed that it turns out right.

Idea from here: Cooking Hawaiian Style: December 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a jump on things. Sometimes I cook everything ahead and reheat, it's actually better.
    Turkey done - Stuffed with a metric ton of fresh rosemary. Pat dry and coat with very good Paprika and we bit of salt. I tinfoil wrap it and cool than carve next morning. Plate it and add back congealed juice, wrap tight and re-heat 2 hrs. before dinner. It's bloody great.

Gravy - Maybe my best ever. Made a stock from: neck, whole garlic, black pepper corns, fine dice onions, chicken stock. Made a nice brown roux. Added a ton of sliced cremini mushrooms direct to the pan over med. high heat until almost done than added the stock and deglazed...than the magic roux. It was so good skipped the red wine reduction blah blah.
    Brown Roux:

Punishment Cranberry Sauce - Fine diced fresh Jalapenos from the garden, lime, cilantro, sugar and done. It's insanely good...nobody will eat it.
    Cauliflower Gratin - *I think I've given this before. Cook flourettes al dente/shock in cold water. In food processor with butter, milk, black pepper and last alot of parmesian, some flour. Into a buttered Corning dish and bake at 350 until it bubbles vigorously. *Reheats real nice.
    Pecan pies - A pal sent REAL pecans from Georgia. No pic. required eh?
    *Still have not gotten around to sanding the cutting board. There is never enough time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turkey is on the smoker. I was looking at the earlier discussions about moisture and stuck a beer can full of brine inside the bird. Its been soaking for 48 hours. I'm expecting good things...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 degrees currently. Smoking away.

"As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    128 degrees currently. Smoking away.

Damn that is some slow and low.

Mines brining right now. Only a ten pound bird so I'm thinking about four hours at 275.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The chief cook has been busy tonight with some of tomorrow's desserts while I've been relegated so far to ironing tablecloths and washing pots, pans and dishes. At least I can sip wine and listen to the hockey game while I iron.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smoked a heritage bird from NutraFoods of Coshocton OH in the BGE. Apple chunks only for smoke. Before smoking, it was soaked in apple cider, halved oranges, and sage powder for a day. After it came out of the soak (I don't call it a brine because I have learned to avoid salt-it makes the skin and meat rubbery), I gave it a wash of melted honey and butter and it sat in out open on a rack in the fridge for a day to dry out a the skin a bit. I apologiize for the reverese chronology. Cooked at 300, the 17 lb'er was done in just three hours. Beautiful mahogany skin. Should have taken some pics for you.

My other dish is gonna be stuffing waffles with turkey confit on top and maple syrup gastrique on top of both. Stuffing contains chestnuts imported from France, locally made chorizo (from locally raised pig), home made croutons from local bread, turkey stock, trinity, parsley and sage. Took some Bowman and Landes turkey thighs and made confit in duck fat. Gastrique is oh so simple-just local maple syrup and sherry vinegar from Spain, 2:1, reduced to half. Stuffing, which is quite wet, will go into waffle iron. Confit meat will get a quick sear in a cast iron pan.

Our family will be guests this year at my Sister-in-law's. I figure I won't starve with the food we're bringing. Plus, I am bringing some Champagne, Burgundy, California Grenache, and a bottle of Russell's Reserve Single Barrell and some cigars for myself and my brother-in-law. We should survive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two small turkeys brining in a cider brine will go on the weber in a roasting pan tomorrow AM. The pan will be full of aromatic vegs and stock to make a nice base for gravy. A few apple wood chunks will go on the coals for some light smoke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast