Likes Likes:  0

Thread: BASF sandable primer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BASF sandable primer

Well, Pocatello is in the west, but it **feels** like a rustbelt city. The PPG paint dealer closed up shop last year, the closest place to buy the stuff is Idaho Falls, 110 mile round trip. "Crap!" I thought, "Maybe I should switch to DuPont!"

Turns out DuPont pulled up stakes a couple years ago, too. This in a local market of 65-70,000 people! So I limped in to the only paint shop in town. They sell BASF and House of Kolor. I was flat out of sandable primer, with a batch of bikes to get out. So I bought what they had: Limco 800K 2-part primer. I got it back to the shop and opened it up - the primer smells **exactly** like the PPG KX I was using, and the hardener smells exactly like the PPG hardener as well.

I did a test: miked up the primer and hardenr and put it on a piece of steel plate. Added some PPG DT thinner and painted the mix on the same plate. In a few hours both spots of primer were set up just fine. I painted some straight mix on a the pits and zits of a welded frame. The stuff sands out easier than KX, so I think it has more filler and less resin. Anyway, tomorrow I shoot a few frames.

OH, the stuff is about 60% the cost of PPG.

jn

"Thursday"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: BASF sandable primer

I was talking to Bryan Myers last week and he is considering switching to H.O.C. Paint due to the quality and savings. I think he's been using PPG for over 25 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jon,
    I've never used BASF but I do know Jason Sanchez uses the complete BASF system. He's a believer in the stuff. Since you're in a small town with limited choices you might consider mail order. I have plenty of choices in town but none are conveniently located. I've had great luck ordering from TCP Global - Quality & Service Since 1974 Great products and great prices. Plus it shows up at your door!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My painter used BASF on my bike for all coats and it came out great. His shop was all DuPont until about a week before we painted. They did a complete system swap on him, but he really loves it now that he has been using it for a few weeks and I'm really pleased with the results.