User Tag List

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Winter Bicycles

Congrats Eric!

Got my shirt Friday, wore it some this weekend. Went to PetsMart to pick up some fishfood and the lady checking me out was staring at the shirt and said "I'd like to see a Winter bicycle, that sounds really cool!"
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Well, that went well:

Huge thanks to the Oregon Bicycle Constructors Association and Hopworks Urban Brewery, and to all the folks that came out to support the show!

Well deserved! All beautiful bikes you brought to the show, all of which are much more striking in person than in any photo. My wife commented (unprovoked by me I'll add) that "The mint green Winter bike was my favorite of all of the bikes at the show."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for coming out, and please pass my thanks to your wife. She has great taste!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just received confirmation for my Bespoked: Bristol exhibit stand (#12, center isle on the corner). If you are in Bristol the 17th-19th of April, stop by Brunel's and say hello!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrapping up another rando!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am firming up the next cap order with Randi Jo Fab. I'll be doing more summer weight wool with the possibility of a limited run of cotton caps and wool caps w/ earflap for the winter. If you want to confirm a size and material hit me now to lock in pre-orders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Firefly guys posted up a killer track bike. I'm excited to have worked with them and the client to help cap off a cool build. Photos courtesy of Firefly:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the Sean-nos* road frame, originally built for the Bespoked show, built up as a complete. This bike will be on display (and available for purchase) at the Philly Bike Expo.

This one is kitted with 6800, TRP brakes,Curtis Odom/ H+ Son wheels, Challenge tires, White Industried crank and BB set, Cane Creek 110 HS and Nitto bar. Paint and box lining by Keith Anderson.

55tt/ 555tt, shown with a 750 saddle height.

The gallery, including the frame construction, can be seen here.

*"Sean Nós" is a Gaelic phrase referring to "old style" singing and dancing. I used it here for a bike with some classic nods, but designed as a modern kicker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks great, I really love the White indus crank on these sort of builds. Level that saddle before the show !
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful package Eric! If I recall my Eugene/Springfield days that one would be great for riding out of town South.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazingly balnaced and pretty thing! Just to be picky, I find the Shimano levers/derailleur a bit out of place, maybe an athena silver or even some nos parts from the 80's 90's would have made an untouchable piece of class.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, you are the second person to mention that, which makes this a great place to talk about how I help clients choose components.

A couple of years ago I decided to stop holding my breath on Shimano changing their color palette, and to just embrace that new stuff from a performance stand point. I've been quite pleased with the performance, feel and value of the 6800 parts and just shifted my thinking a bit.

I've decided to prioritize the function of the mechanical stuff over the look, and hope that I can find a good balance. The current dark grey/ black seems to at least visually blend. Toss in some shiny cranks from the folks at White and the new TRP brakes, and I think it hits that goal. I've generally decided to not chase down vintage parts- the new stuff just works so darn well.

My main priority is a solid functioning contemporary bike- in this case I wanted to give a nod to some classic styling, but I wasn't going to limit myself to specific parts to get there. That isn't a slight against Athena, either- but if I use it for a bike I want it to be the right choice for performance, not just the current silver offering.

I will occasionally work with clients on special project bikes, but more and more I am trending to bikes that balance classic good looks with parts that will optimize their function as modern machines. When I can do that with stuff from some of my friends in other small manufacturing (White, Paul, Odom, etc), all the better.
    Last edited by Eric Estlund; 11-03-2014 at 01:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an awesome bike. I wish I still lived in Philly to see it in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Funny, you are the second person to mention that, which makes this a great place to talk about how I help clients choose components.

A couple of years ago I decided to stop holding my breath on Shimano changing their color palette, and to just embrace that new stuff from a performance stand point. I've been quite pleased with the performance, feel and value of the 6800 parts and just shifted my thinking a bit.

I've decided to prioritize the function of the mechanical stuff over the look, and hope that I can find a good balance. The current dark grey/ black seems to at least visually blend. Toss in some shiny cranks from the folks at White and the new TRP brakes, and I think it hits that goal. I've generally decided to not chase down vintage parts- the new stuff just works so darn well.

My main priority is a solid functioning contemporary bike- in this case I wanted to give a nod to some classic styling, but I wasn't going to limit myself to specific parts to get there. That isn't a slight against Athena, either- but if I use it for a bike I want it to be the right choice for performance, not just the current silver offering.

I will occasionally work with clients on special project bikes, but more and more I am trending to bikes that balance classic good looks with parts that will optimize their function as modern machines. When I can do that with stuff from some of my friends in other small manufacturing (White, Paul, Odom, etc), all the better.
    I completely agree with your thoughts on not being prisioner of ages or memories if this involves lack of performance, and of course each builder hsa to follow his own atmos. I do usually try to use european made components, but only if it does not involves paying double or losing product performance quality, first thing is the objective result, then subjective reasons.

And absolutely 100% agree with using other small manufacturing products, this is something I sometimes get surprised on other builders, having gone all the way through a detailed handmade frame to end up fitting oem non-branded parts just because they're cheaper or fitting colour scheme. A bike is a whole, not a frame with some extra parts attached, and here is when many bikes break the difference, as for example all your bikes, where each part has been thoughtfully placed with a reason

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Philly was great!

I want to extend a huge public thanks to the Bilenky folks and the whole crew at Wissahickon Cyclery (Engin HQ), as well as Drew's family for letting me grossly overstay my welcome. These folks treated me right, and it was a great step away from my shop. Also a big thanks to the Rody and Drew as booth neighbors- we had a great time, and the many hands made light work of the set up and break down.

I'm simultaneously beat from travel and chatting (I did more talking in a few days then a typical month solo) and recharged. This is the first chance I've had to sit down in front of a real keyboard and I am catching up with all of those emails that rained in and will be shipping some items tomorrow. Back to the metal work fresh Monday.

Big thanks to everyone that came out to chat and see the bikes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eric, you kill me with that green bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be yours...

The dark green one is a 55/ 555 and available. The mint green one is mine, has had exactly one 19 mile lunch loop shake down and could be available. I'd just pull the other one into service!

I need to get photos up, but the current shirts and new hats are also ready. We did a nice dark blue summer weight wool run for Philly and I have a few left (as well as two Peanut colored cotton ones).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good thing for my wife they're both too big for me.
    Last edited by Matthew Strongin; 11-13-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Eric, you kill me with that green bike.
    I saw that green bike, realized that Eric is almost exactly my height, and yes... I'm simultaneously relieved and heartbroken that I don't have anything like the money right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Winter "Caprinae" mountain cross gallery is up!

Caprinae » Winter Bicycles