Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: --trader joe's...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up --trader joe's...

-- early a.m. breakfast date with my babe at our favorite in winter park ---- "the brier patch.."
    a little scull/row out of my ole rollins crew house and then to trader joe's prior to homeward bound..

"trader joe's" becoming more our commissary ---- everything from steel cut oats, cuban style black beans, organic fruit jam, fresh fruit/vegetables
    & even a awesome price on a few bottles of red italian fermented grapes..

thumbs up with a smile,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: --trader joe's...

The soup always tastes better after a good pull on the timber. Keep moving, Ronnie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love TJ for a lot of their offerings -- their chocolates, desserts, frozen fish etc. But I wonder if someone has been noticing what I notice these days -- a lot of TJ foods do not mention the country of origin. And here is where I start of get the feeling that the reason why they do not want to put it is because is not not from the U.S. or the E.U.
    Could I be wrong in this assumption?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trader Joe's has been owned since the late 70's by Aldi so I'd venture that some of the bulk purchases are made within the global network. I also read that they purposely keep the country of origin in many cases unknown, claiming supplier secrecy...whatever that means. My wife shops there from time to time, but the stores near us are limited in their offerings. I wish that we had a Wegman's move in the region.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We used to shop there all the time when we lived in Arizona. We had a Subaru Forester at that time (always covered with dirt and carrying shovels in the back) and one day walked out to the parking lot and tried to get into the wrong Forester. There were probably 20 of them in the parking lot. Looked like a Subaru dealership.

In NYC, the TJ's are basically a barely controlled riot. I've gone there a couple times but left, because I am just not battle hardened enough. Wouldn't make it.

In AZ they used to sell desert raised shrimp grown somewhere near Tucson. Pretty good, though I can't imagine they were sound ecologically.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Triple ginger snaps.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monopolowa Vodka, unsweetened almond milk & Joes Joes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like their frozen fruit. I use it in my morning breakfast smoothie, my warm weather standard. Organic wild blueberries, strawberries, mango, etc. Added to a banana, some greens, a scoop of whey and buzzed in the blender. Fuels the morning nicely.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where I live Trader Joes is simply the low priced option. I shop there for fresh fruit walnuts juice cream cheese maple syrup and dry pasta. All items my local supermarket decided to mark up 30% in a drive for higher profits. Ironically since they began this strategy the stock price FWM has fallen to near zero and they're proected to be in violation of their debt covenants in a matter of weeks. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Where I live Trader Joes is simply the low priced option. I shop there for fresh fruit walnuts juice cream cheese maple syrup and dry pasta. All items my local supermarket decided to mark up 30% in a drive for higher profits. Ironically since they began this strategy the stock price FWM has fallen to near zero and they're proected to be in violation of their debt covenants in a matter of weeks. -Mike G
    Fairway? Something definitely bizarre going on there.

Manhattan is the land of crazy grocery stores with exclusivity pricing. As in, "I pay $12 for a dozen eggs so I don't have to shop with all those people."

I've been in Whole Foods on Union Square when it felt more like a mosh pit than a grocery. All the NYU kids (mostly women) buying yogurt, a banana and some sort of macrobiotic green stuff in a bottle.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

Manhattan is the land of crazy grocery stores with exclusivity pricing. As in, "I pay $12 for a dozen eggs so I don't have to shop with all those people."

I've been in Whole Foods on Union Square when it felt more like a mosh pit than a grocery. All the NYU kids (mostly women) buying yogurt, a banana and some sort of macrobiotic green stuff in a bottle.
    That's gold Jorn. Gold!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almond butter...crunchy and salted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! I didn't know that. A good article on Grubstreet about the company's imminent collapse. The store by me in Westbury is the size of a Home Depot. In fact it used to be a the high-end version of Home Depot. I often wondered how they make money with so much inventory and what appears to be relatively few shoppers for the size of the store.

The Trader Joes down the block from Fairway is always packed. I can't go in there; it's like a hockey game with people banging into one another to stock up on "healthy" frozen dinners or exotic marmalades. I don't understand the appeal. I get by with the local Stop n Shop, the butcher and an occasional trip to Whole Paycheck for fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Wow! I didn't know that. A good article on Grubstreet about the company's imminent collapse.
    Thanks for that tip:

Inside the Collapse of Fairway -- Grub Street

Interesting, I've been in the store only a few times, but my wife goes occasionally for a piece of fish or meat. They have some great fresh roasted coffee she has brought home once in a while too.

Here in NJ (12 minutes outside manhatten) - the new trend which i like is the pop-up farmer's markets. both open air and indoor, lots of good fresh produce, fruits, veggies. things are moving back to the trend of NOT one-stop shopping at a mega market, but instead farmers market for produce, one place that has good meat, and different place for fish, local joint that roasts coffee, etc. Best of all, it's not more expensive to shop this way, it's actually way cheaper, and the stuff is better quality and fresher. less convenient and time efficient yes; but a little more personal and interaction with some real community. i like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Manhattan is the land of crazy grocery stores with exclusivity pricing. As in, "I pay $12 for a dozen eggs so I don't have to shop with all those people."

2) I've been in Whole Foods on Union Square when it felt more like a mosh pit than a grocery. All the NYU kids (mostly women) buying yogurt, a banana and some sort of macrobiotic green stuff in a bottle.

1) Food Emporium
    2) They have also taken over Stuy Town (3 in a 1 bedroom 750sqft apartment)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought this thread was about rowing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back on topic.

I go to Trader Joe's when I crave $4.00 frozen pizzas that are hand-made in a little shop adjacent to the Campagnolo factory.

I go to Whole Foods when I crave to enjoy the stench from a little BO.

I go to the local food chain when I crave to have a couple of dollars left at the end of the week to enjoy a latte.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My nickname after dinner is Dudycious (the Greek God of cleaning up). Do Dishes...
    I'm here to say that Trader Joe's Dish Soap sucks more than anything sold anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    I thought this thread was about rowing.
    -----------------

it is.., in order for joe to trade some goods he had to row from point "a" to point "z"
    &
    agree the soap sucks, the humane caught tuna in olive oil is tolerable..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Thanks for that tip:

Inside the Collapse of Fairway -- Grub Street

Interesting, I've been in the store only a few times, but my wife goes occasionally for a piece of fish or meat. They have some great fresh roasted coffee she has brought home once in a while too.

Here in NJ (12 minutes outside manhatten) - the new trend which i like is the pop-up farmer's markets. both open air and indoor, lots of good fresh produce, fruits, veggies. things are moving back to the trend of NOT one-stop shopping at a mega market, but instead farmers market for produce, one place that has good meat, and different place for fish, local joint that roasts coffee, etc. Best of all, it's not more expensive to shop this way, it's actually way cheaper, and the stuff is better quality and fresher. less convenient and time efficient yes; but a little more personal and interaction with some real community. i like.
    Just a tip. I'm a coffee nut(pun intended). Fairway raised the price of my favorite Kenyan coffee by 50%, so I buy it now at Zabar's for roughly $4 less a pound. I'm cheap on my food so I can spend it cycling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast