Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Game: Ohio State vs Michigan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Game: Ohio State vs Michigan

Well, that didn’t go as expected - the young UM QB had a brilliant game and Corum’s absence didn’t effect the Wolverine offense at all.

Great fame for the conquering heroes.
    Battery and T free cyclist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched this film the other night…Rivals…Win. Lose. Repeat…pretty good stuff regarding this particular rivalry. On to 2023 where The Game will be played at the Big House. Some day, I hope to score a ticket at either venue to see the Buckeyes and the Wolverines go at it again.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22937658/
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that wasn't what I expected. Half our family are in OH and my SiL went to OSU - so you can imagine the looks I got when I wore a Michigan shirt once (late 90s - liked their basketball team).

I like Michigan's programme more though - and Harbaugh is clearly a better coach.

I liked that documentary I saw a few years ago. One part that made me chuckle was when Harbaugh opened his wardrobe and all it had was a row of khaki pants, a row of blue sweaters and a row of blue hats. I really like the idea of just wearing the same thing all the time - like Einstein did too. You just need multiples of the same thing and that's it forever.

Anyway, that was a convincing win.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
    I like Michigan's programme more though - and Harbaugh is clearly a better coach.
    He sure was a good coach at Stanford and SF. I think the Niners in particular were nuts to let him walk, if they had a choice. It's taken him a while to get the program back up to expectations at Michigan ... there must have been more rebuilding needed than was apparent from the outside.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Ecuador v. Senegal is going to be the match of the day.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this where I ask about good places to visit in Ecuador?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#2 v #3, both undefeated, playing at The Big House this week…any thoughts?
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were I a Michigan fan, I’d be concerned. Not about their missing coach but about their missing strength of schedule. They’re loaded for teddy bear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much of Harbagh’s salary gets diverted to academics during his suspension for violating the university honor code?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    How much of Harbagh’s salary gets diverted to academics during his suspension for violating the university honor code?
    As more comes out about this scandal, including a wealthy booster’s involvement (Shock! Surprise!) the realistic fan could see it as a pretty good advertisement that Jim knows how to build a complete program—from recruiting to intelligence. Even if it jeopardizes his Michigan post I don’t see it stopping other schools from talking to him, let alone pro teams. Hello, Mr. Kraft.

In other news, more historic game day art please Mr. RW sir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More to come Dan.

https://www.bloodbattle.org/
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What’s the thing you line up to eat at the Big House? At the Shoe? Is there a game day snack that each venue of The Game is known for? Used to be Cow Chip Cookies at Husky Stadium, not sure what it might be these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh those evil Wolverines…ruining the inaugural game at The Shoe in 1922.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/23/s...smid=url-share
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look at that crowd! Right down to the field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ten Year War

The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, and Ohio State University in Columbus are separated by just 180 miles, and had enjoyed a rivalry in football that began in 1897 and had been renewed annually since Michigan rejoined the Big Ten in 1918. Wayne Woodrow (Woody) Hayes was a former tackle at Denison University, before he worked as a high school coach and enlisted in the Navy. After World War II ended, he was chosen as head coach at his alma mater, where he won two division titles and won 19 straight games before he took over the Miami of Ohio program in 1949, won a Mid-American Conference title, and became head coach at Ohio State in 1951.

While at Oxford, Hayes coached a tackle by the name of Glenn Edward (Bo) Schembechler. Schembechler would graduate from Miami in 1951 and serve as a graduate assistant to Hayes at Ohio State the following year. After stints in the Army and serving as an assistant coach at Presbyterian College, Bowling Green and Northwestern, Schembechler was hired by Hayes to be an assistant in Columbus, where he remained as an offensive line coach until he became head coach at Miami of Ohio in 1963. While Hayes accumulated five Big Ten titles at Ohio State and won Rose Bowls (and national championships) in 1954, 1957, and 1968, Schembechler coached six winning seasons at Miami, winning back-to-back Mid-American Conference titles in 1965 and 1966, and finishing as runner-up three more times.

Between 1951 and 1968 under Hayes, the Buckeyes won 12 of 18 contests against Michigan, including a 1957 victory in Michigan Stadium, the first game in the series attended by over 100,000 fans. In 1958, Ohio State had a 20–14 lead towards the end of the game. On the final play, Michigan fullback Gene Sisinyak ran the ball from the one-yard line for what might have been a game-winning touchdown, but Ohio State defensive tackle Dick Schafrath hit Sisinyak, forcing a fumble. In the 1968 game, Ohio State won 50–14, outscoring its foe 29–0 in the second half and attempting an unsuccessful two-point conversion attempt on its final touchdown. When asked why he went for two points with an already insurmountable 50–14 lead, Hayes said, "Because I couldn't go for three." The victory gave top-ranked Ohio State the Big Ten title for the first time in seven years en route to an AP national championship.

After the 1968 season, Schembechler was hired to coach at Michigan, a once-proud program that had fallen on hard times. Going into the 1969 season, the Buckeyes had narrowed the series margin to 37–24–4. Thus, the stage was set for the first of a decade of clashes between coach and player.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the NYT…No hype necessary. Only the hope that the game itself lives up to it. The winner gets Iowa in the Big Ten championship, which many will equate to a free pass to the Playoff. The loser, unlike last season, is more than likely out of the CFP picture. But there’s another rivalry plotline to consider. A Michigan victory would give the Wolverines three straight over the Buckeyes, this latest (presumably) without the benefit of stolen signs, providing Michigan a degree of hubris that’s sure to send Ohio State and its fans into a tailspin. But as I wrote a few weeks ago, an Ohio State win allows the Buckeyes faithful to frame the Wolverines as frauds who can win only by cheating while reclaiming their place atop the rivalry. To the victor goes the narrative.
    rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two of my grad-Dad hats get equal time on 01 January and who knows, maybe I’ll have to wear both on 08 January. Trash talking has already begun between my Huskies daughter and Wolverine son, as her undergrad allegiance to Oberlin, never waivers. She proudly points to that famous Fall day in 1921, where the Buckeyes fell to the mighty Yeomen…much like the recent OSU v UM game she noted…

rw saunders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...fl-draft-money

Off topic (a bit), but I just came across this. Dunno how accurate the $25 million figure is, but even if it’s just a few million, wow. It’s long past time to get universities out of the professional sports business, imo.

Btw, that Oberlin game is amusing. Of course, Toledo beat Michigan in Ann Arbor in 2008.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My great uncle never recovered from winning the Rose Bowl in 1920. Aut Harvard, aut nihil.
    Jay Dwight

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast