Thread: Integrated Head Tube Rings on 1" headtube

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Integrated Head Tube Rings on 1" headtube

Hi,

Is there any reason not to make some integrated head tube rings for IS41, to fit a 1" headtube? The rationale being a relatively quick, simple and cost effective means of widening the choice of forks I can use with an existing frame.

As far as I can see from the dimensions, it will go together, but is there something I'm missing that render this a none-starter, or just a really bad idea??

Lawrence

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Integrated Head Tube Rings on 1" headtube

Quote Originally Posted by ljm View Post
    Hi,

Is there any reason not to make some integrated head tube rings for IS41, to fit a 1" headtube? The rationale being a relatively quick, simple and cost effective means of widening the choice of forks I can use with an existing frame.
    You should make the forks too atmo. The choices for materials are nearly, but not quite, limitless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    You should make the forks too atmo. The choices for materials are nearly, but not quite, limitless.
    It's for a TT frame; sadly skills and facilities not quite there yet, to make a fork... But to braze on a couple of rings, I can do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in theory it is possible, but the steerer will be somewhat close to the inside of the headtube for my comfort, it may even rub the inside

let alone the need for reamer / facer tooling, due to the inevitable warpage that happens with a bit of heat

could i ask what's up with the fork already in the bike ? or do you even have one ?

i'm sure with a bit of patience you can get a 2nd hand or maybe even new fork that is to your taste with some searching

or just give the whole fork making thing a go, you really don't get anywhere without practice

good luck

NBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1" std headtube ID =30.0, 1" 1/8 forks steerer =28.6mm.
    It makes 0.6mm or room around, way too tight. IMHO, not a good idea, unless you want to use a 1" fork? Then you need to find a crown race and centering-cone to match a 41.0x45º (or 36º) bearing onto a 27.0 crown and 25.4 sterer...
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, if decent 1" carbon forts could be had for reasonable money, that would be my preferred choice. But they're hard and expensive to come by! So I'm thinking of ways to expedite things... I can get hold of 1.125" forks for much more reasonable money and immediately. One way would be to fit a new head tube. But I've been wondering about other options that may be quick and easy.

When you say "way too tight" I assume you're anticipating tolerances in those dimensions, and perhaps ingress of material that could lodge in that gap and gouge the (carbon) steerer; is this correct?

Thanks for the input

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few years ago Chris King made a limited edition Chris King fab'd Cielo with a 1" headtube and 1-1/8" steerer fork. He brazed steel headset cups directly to the headtube. I'm not aware of the details, however.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lawrence-

Ritchey and Wound Up both have good, reasonably priced and readily available 1" carbon forks. Others, too, I'm sure.

I'll venture a guess that most of us haven't tried it. I don't think it's a good idea. Surely note for simplicity, expedience or budgetary concerns.

If you are not comfortable brazing up a fork, I wouldn't suggest brazing on the small bits that hold the front end together. It's at best a tiny joint with little margin for error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or you could make your own cups that fit over the HT, assuming non lugged, enough extension at both ends, HT inside is clean...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not so much the brazing as the jig to make a fork that I lack. Equally, I'd like to save some weight if possible. I'd love to find someone who can sell me a decent 1" carbon fork, for TT, for reasonable money. New or secondhand! I hear tales of their existence, but getting hold of them, at least here in the UK is another matter...

As often happens, there seem to be some conflicting views, from people with equally valid knowledge and experience. I found some info on the Chris King Cielo, mentioned by donevwil. This seems to confirm that in terms of space, it's viable. Likewise the Morati, posted by Blakey; conceptually, what I'm suggesting is between the two.

Hmm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try peter at ceeway, he sold me a 1" steerer aero fork a while back, he may have one or two still, never hurts to ask !

the part of a carbon fork just above the crown where the steerer is bonded in can be quite chunky, nearly crown race sized, for 1 1/8" that's 30.1mm, so trying to mod the frame would be extraordinarily tight ! stick with 1"

NBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I remember several years ago, Andy Newlands of Strawberry Cycles went through the gymnastics to do this very same thing. I think he pulled it off but the results didn't warrant the effort. Perhaps ask him about it.