Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Venice FL (Sarasota)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Venice FL (Sarasota)

Have to make a trek to the Sarasota area end of year. Will be w/o bike but am looking for a few interesting things to do during my off time there. Also suggestions for good eats. Can probably drive up to about an hour out as well.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Venice FL (Sarasota)

If you like the beach, check out Siesta Key. Beautiful white sand beach. There are some good places to rent sea kayaks up there too if you want to get a workout in and explore nature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Siesta Key a good start. It's been forever since I've been to the Venice beaches or the pier, but I'm sure they're quite nice.

I'm "native" to SW FL, about an hour+ south of there. Venice is...well, Venice. It's pretty sleepy. There ain't much going on.

Shoot up I-75 to Sarasota and you can check out the Ringling Museum.

Ringling Museum of Art

If you have any interest doing some backcountry fishing with a guide, I might be able to send out some feelers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dali museum in st pete pretty close.
    sanibel island with the shells is really cool i thlk... a ways south.

billions and billions of new shells deposited every morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gator hunting. You know you want to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- sanibel will be very crowded during holiday season, very difficult to a long ride in at any pace..
    neat things to do around tampa & st pete area..
    echo mr steve for dali museum..

give me a shout -- maybe we can hook-up around tampa/ybor city area..
    very neat cuban eatery's and cigars too..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    dali museum in st pete pretty close.
    +1 on this. It makes for a fun day trip.

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Gator hunting. You know you want to.
    It's a bit longer of a drive, but I always enjoy taking out of towners to somewhere in the Everglades to see a gator or 10 in the wild.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've stayed on Longboat & Siesta Keys a couple times - great area. Kayaking around Bird Keys (sanctuary) in Little Sarasota Bay was always nice. Saw manatee & dolphin. Then would paddle out to Casey Key to look for sharks teeth. +1 on Ringling Museum - was pleasantly surprising. The grounds and architecture alone are amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clyde Butcher, noted black & white photographer, has a studio in Venice.

Black and White Photography - Clyde Butcher

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by YO!!! View Post
    Clyde Butcher, noted black & white photographer, has a studio in Venice.

Black and White Photography - Clyde Butcher
    /\ Awesome rec. I'd do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some good ideas here. Missed the Dali museum when I was in St. Pete a couple of days years ago. Ringling grounds/buildings are outstanding.
    C Butcher looks like a good stop. Kayaking too. Keep 'em coming. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sharks teeth are possible at Venice Beach too. Good spot if you have small kids as the water is pretty calm. These are fossilized shark teeth. Certain parts of the gulf seabed contain deposits of fossils, and there is a big one off Venice Beach, Casey Key, etc. The serious hunters dive for them and find big ones, like 4-5" across. The beach has smaller ones like 1/2-1".

There is a power plant in Apollo Beach (towards Tampa) with a warm water outflow that the manatees use as a spa in the winter time. Used to be one of those pull over and crawl through a fence things, but now they've put in a viewing platform. I think it is best to arrive in the early morning before they wake up and head out for breakfast.

Myakka River State Park is pretty nice and close by. Plenty of alligators, herons, egrets, anhingas and other birds along the hiking trails. Canoeing. Unique fauna including bromeliads and orchids. Myakka River State Park - Home

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll answer your question with questions. What sort of things do you like to do? Kids involved?
    Venice is pretty quiet. Like j44ke wrote looking for sharks teeth walking the beach is relaxing.
    For touristy try St. Armands Circle in Sarasota. There is a Columbia restaurant along with a Tommy Bahama's. We have never been disappointed at either. Then shop the circle with all the other snowbirds. Lido beach is under rated compared to Siesta Beach but it's a nice beach and is walking distance to St. Armands. There are Kayak vendors at South Lido beach. There are some cool mangrove tunnels to paddle around.
    Mote Marine is close by too if you would like a small marine life tourist thing. Downtown Sarasota has small stores restaurants and evening entertainment. Siesta Key has the beach and Siesta Village, more stores and bars and restaurants. This seems to be where the younger crowd hangs out late. On Sunday evenings there is a sunset drum circle at Siesta beach that draws a crowd. Ringling Museum is a tip too. Myakka State Park for gators and wildlife.

Here is a link to the local paper entertainment section: Ticket Sarasota | Entertainment, Dining, Nightlife, Attractions, Events

Check that link for activities and stuff to do.If you have any questions, just ask.
    We have lived in Sarasota a long time, but if you ask my wife she would tell you I am a grouchy old man who other than riding his bike likes to hide out at home. Enjoy your visit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Dali museum is fun, but the only thing I can add others haven't is to get a piece of pie at Yoder's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rePhil View Post
    I'll answer your question with questions. What sort of things do you like to do? Kids involved?
    Venice is pretty quiet. Like j44ke wrote looking for sharks teeth walking the beach is relaxing.
    For touristy try St. Armands Circle in Sarasota. There is a Columbia restaurant along with a Tommy Bahama's. We have never been disappointed at either. Then shop the circle with all the other snowbirds. Lido beach is under rated compared to Siesta Beach but it's a nice beach and is walking distance to St. Armands. There are Kayak vendors at South Lido beach. There are some cool mangrove tunnels to paddle around.
    Mote Marine is close by too if you would like a small marine life tourist thing. Downtown Sarasota has small stores restaurants and evening entertainment. Siesta Key has the beach and Siesta Village, more stores and bars and restaurants. This seems to be where the younger crowd hangs out late. On Sunday evenings there is a sunset drum circle at Siesta beach that draws a crowd. Ringling Museum is a tip too. Myakka State Park for gators and wildlife.

Here is a link to the local paper entertainment section: Ticket Sarasota | Entertainment, Dining, Nightlife, Attractions, Events

Check that link for activities and stuff to do.If you have any questions, just ask.
    We have lived in Sarasota a long time, but if you ask my wife she would tell you I am a grouchy old man who other than riding his bike likes to hide out at home. Enjoy your visit.
    No kids in the mix and being active is a plus. Good suggestions and links from all. Thanks much. Will sort out a few more things to keep us occupied between commitments.