User Tag List

Thread: What's a cool / well ventilated long-sleeve top that can handle clearing brush?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's a cool / well ventilated long-sleeve top that can handle clearing brush?

Now that the warmer weather is here I can no longer use my crappy sweatshirts over t-shirts to do semi-cardio intensive yard work. However, there's still some stuff to be done that involves some weedy plants that have a pretty good set of thorns on them. Today I did it in just a t-shirt and in a few spots picked up a fair amount of scratches. I don't expect a fabric that can withstand anything, but am hoping there's something out there that gives me a good balance of ventilation and toughness.

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What's a cool / well ventilated long-sleeve top that can handle clearing brush?

Dickies, Carhartt, Red Kap, Duluth Trading, Mack Weldon, Bonobos, to name a few. For cooler weather, I use some LL Bean wool long sleeve shirts; button neck, no collar.

and then there's this: Briar Buster Thorn Resistant Shirt / BBS - Gamehide

Whether you’re chasing rabbits, bears, coons or roosters our Briar Buster Thorn Resistant Shirt will keep you comfortable and protected while you crash through the heavy cover. Made with heavy duty 420 denier nylon oxford sleeves which allow you to push your way through nasty cover yet remain cool and comfortable with our Clever Cloth body. The vented back adds additional comfort!
    FEATURES
    Briar-proof sleeves
    Clever Cloth body won’t shrink or fade
    Vertical zippered chest pocket
    Adjustable Velcro cuff adjustments
    Drop down tail and a meshed lined cape venting on back

That ought to do it.

for hotter temps, this Orvis shirt might work. Not sure about the durability, though. My brother-in-law has a sensitivity to the sun so he wears long sleeves all the time.

Quick-Dry Button-Front Shirt / Sandpoint Long-Sleeved Shirt -- Orvis

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What's a cool / well ventilated long-sleeve top that can handle clearing brush?

What bbattle said. I use a dickies shirt and carhart overalls when doing yard work in the summer.

Not yard work, but you get the idea.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've worn this Filson Chino shirt when cutting up greenbriar, blackberry, raspberry and barberry. Fit is loose, so while they aren't like wearing madras, the air still finds its way in even if you wear a t-shirt underneath. You're going to sweat anyway. Tough fabric.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books