Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cured ham

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default cured ham

Just took a chance and ordered a bone-in "Surryano" ham from Surry Farms, in Southern VA.

https://surryfarms.com/Bone-In_Surryano_Ham

Anyone ever tried it? I figure that for the price, and with it being local, if it even approaches the taste of serrano/prosciutto, it'll be a nice thing to have in the house this winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: cured ham

Incredible. I want to say yes when Eatzi's was in business located in Rockville, MD. I'm pretty sure they were serving that at their custom sandwhich walk up bar.
    That can't be bad. Your home address was...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm drooling.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you haven't read the article in Guns & Gardens, you must read . . .

The New Frontier of Country Ham

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill, as an aside, part of my childhood was spent tromping around the Shenandoah's on and around the Appalacian Trail with my family. These getaways were not complete without sufficient encounters of the biscuits + ham or ham + red eye gravey variety :) What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Great read, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

La Quecria I've had some of the standard American prosciutto and it is melt in the mouth delicious. Close enough for a day trip, I may have to take a drive after the holidays. I grew up with my grandpa's pasture raised pork and really want to taste some of the Acorn fed hams.

Frank
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link.

La Quercia was the other American ham producer that kept popping up as I read about Surry farms. Went with Surry because of their location, but there are a couple of restaurants in Chicago that are on my list that serve La Q (Publican and Blackbird) next time I go see my brother.

DC folks- if we can get a ride/lunch planned this winter, I can bring a couple few slices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little off the subject but my brother and I still laugh about going to the farm with grandpa to help wean pigs. He's driving in a circle around the sow and Art and I are trying to reach under the door of a 54 Ford and grab legs to toss in the back seat. Of course Mama has ideas of her own on what to grab and drag under the door. Fun times, and we still have all our fingers. lol
    Frank Beshears

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently passed up some Iberico black gold. I think it was $15 for 4 oz. Was I foolish to have done this? Maybe I'll go see if I can find it again.

I love reading about stuff like this. I learned something, now I can quit and go for a bike ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks pretty incredible.

It's not the same thing, exactly, but I'm a great lover of country ham. For my money, you just can't beat Penn's, from Mannsville, Kentucky. Good lord, it's incredible, and at $67 for a 14-16 pound ham, very reasonably priced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    If you haven't read the article in Guns & Gardens, you must read . . .

The New Frontier of Country Ham

That is a great article.
    A local farmer has the most beautiful Berkshires you have ever seen.
    I've been buying piglets and raising them the last couple of years.
    My freezer is stuffed with delicious meat and the dream is to start dry-aging some hams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said "Guns & Gardens" but the magazine is called "Gardens & Guns." Just shows where my priorities are. If you haven't seen the magazine before, this is a typical article for them. Quirky and Southern. Great photography. It is worth picking up. Yep, I grew up eating biscuits and pan fried country ham, too. On special occasions we would eat crockpot quail and gravy with biscuits.

robin3mj - How is your ham?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got a country ham from A B Vannoy in West Jefferson here in NC. It's the last open-air ham curing house in NC. It was written up last year in the Charlotte Observer <b>Part 2:</b> From pig to plate - CharlotteObserver.com Probably the best country ham I've ever had. Apparently they can't ship out of state (just have NC inspection) so you have to get it here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    I said "Guns & Gardens" but the magazine is called "Gardens & Guns." Just shows where my priorities are. If you haven't seen the magazine before, this is a typical article for them. Quirky and Southern. Great photography. It is worth picking up. Yep, I grew up eating biscuits and pan fried country ham, too. On special occasions we would eat crockpot quail and gravy with biscuits.

robin3mj - How is your ham?
    Ham arrived on Monday and is still boxed, in the garage. It's a gift for the wife, though the dog seems to have guessed what it is.

Pics of the ham and the new cutting board upcoming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^
    I'm jealous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hats off to you pal.

Everyone is in total awe of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man that takes me back.
    I grew up in Southern VA. Buggs Island lake area (South Hill,Clarksvile,South Boston).
    Beautiful rural countryside for riding. Nice rolling terrain.

I worked for a tobacco farmer in the summers.
    He alway had some country hame aging.
    Fantastic.
    And you can go miles on a country ham biscuit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nortonnels View Post
    I just got a country ham from A B Vannoy in West Jefferson here in NC. It's the last open-air ham curing house in NC. It was written up last year in the Charlotte Observer <b>Part 2:</b> From pig to plate - CharlotteObserver.com Probably the best country ham I've ever had. Apparently they can't ship out of state (just have NC inspection) so you have to get it here.
    It wasn't until I was older and tried to find Sugar cured ham like my Grandpa made that I realized just how good the hams he made were. I went out to the enclosed porch he stored them in to cut a few slices for breakfast when I was a wee lad and came back in to tell him the ham was moldy and couldn't be any good. Was I ever wrong. I asked Grandma once how it was made, brown sugar, black pepper and salt, wrap it in a feed sack and let it hang till it's done. I've yet to try it but someday I may have to. Definitely gave new meaning to the old Green Eggs and Ham.

robin3mj let us now how that eats I may have to order one for my birthday. Enjoy the feasting.

Frank
    Frank Beshears

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    It wasn't until I was older and tried to find Sugar cured ham like my Grandpa made that I realized just how good the hams he made were. I went out to the enclosed porch he stored them in to cut a few slices for breakfast when I was a wee lad and came back in to tell him the ham was moldy and couldn't be any good. Was I ever wrong. I asked Grandma once how it was made, brown sugar, black pepper and salt, wrap it in a feed sack and let it hang till it's done. I've yet to try it but someday I may have to. Definitely gave new meaning to the old Green Eggs and Ham.

robin3mj let us now how that eats I may have to order one for my birthday. Enjoy the feasting.

Frank
    You'll love this story then.
    I had a neighbor who sent a wonderful country ham to some folks in Cincinati.
    He got a nice thank you card stating, "Thanks for the ham. But unfortunately by the time it arrived, it had developed a mold and we had to throw it away."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Bill, as an aside, part of my childhood was spent tromping around the Shenandoah's on and around the Appalacian Trail with my family. These getaways were not complete without sufficient encounters of the biscuits + ham or ham + red eye gravey variety :) What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Great read, thanks.
    You had me at "red eye gravey", my mother used to make that for sunday breakfast when I was a little kid ad we used to have buttermilk biscuits to sop it up with

:-)

making me hungry now
    Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast