User Tag List

Thread: Blood donation / modern healthcare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Blood donation / modern healthcare

Just a few words to say a big thank you to people donating blood and/or working in healthcare. We are often critical about how healthcare is ran as a whole but there has never been a time in human history with better chance to survive medical issues.

My little sister had to be transfused 6 Liters of blood these last two days because of major complications when giving birth to her second son. She lost her uterus in the process and she and her little baby are still monitored but I'm just glad they both made it thru. Had it happened 50 or 100y before we would surely be arranging the funerals.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Blood donation / modern healthcare

Yes yes yes. A big second to thanking those who give anything. The human Antibody infusions I require to maintain a still compromised immune system is the equivalent of about 5000 plasma donations every year. 50 or 100 years ago I'd already be dead from infection.

Btw, because of my immunodeficiency I had to withdraw from the Bone Marrow registry. Bone Marrow donation is a really concentrated way to save a life. If you're asked to donate because of a match, you are the very last resort for a person (often a child) who is near death. There is nobody also giving or a backup plan. You can find out about Bone Marrow Donation at bethematch.com if you're interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My coworkers and I gave on a rgular basis for many years. It is something you can do to maintain your (cough) questionable status with the universe ;)

Hope your sis and the kiddo are fine, they have to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- always remember within my heart to/for those that gave for my life back in 68/69 and give max today for those in need from me..

ronnie with a smile

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that. American health care is far from perfect, but the overwhelming majority of people working in it have good hearts and can collectively do amazing things. Glad your sister is doing well. Parenthetically, there's been a lot of progress in the last decade with survival from massive hemorrhage. Massive transfusion protocols have been refined and are in place at all trauma centers and many good community hospitals. They save lives that would have been lost even a decade ago. They have been derived from the military experience in Afghanistan and Iraq over the last decade, so indirectly, a lot of servicemen also contributed to your sister's good outcome. All the best to you and your family.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA