User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything like Alen Edmonds Park Ave?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anything like Alen Edmonds Park Ave?

I have been looking to spruce up my wardrobe, the cyclist closest is getting pretty old, and came across the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. This is one of the best looking shoes I have ever seen, I just can't afford it on the bike shop budget.

This is the color I like.

Park Avenue - Cap-toe Lace-up Mens Dress Shoes by Allen Edmonds

Anyone have any ideas on something similar in color, good quality, and lower in price?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anything like Alen Edmonds Park Ave?

Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    This is one of the best looking shoes I have ever seen, I just can't afford it on the bike shop budget.
    EBay is your friend. I recently bought that exact pair lightly used for $9.99 + shipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been looking to spruce up my wardrobe, the cyclist closest is getting pretty old, and came across the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. This is one of the best looking shoes I have ever seen, I just can't afford it on the bike shop budget.

This is the color I like.

Park Avenue - Cap-toe Lace-up Mens Dress Shoes by Allen Edmonds

Anyone have any ideas on something similar in color, good quality, and lower in price?
    They go on sale fairly regularly. There was a factory seconds sale not too long ago, available by calling (262) 785-6666. Ebay is your friend - its a fairly popular model, as long as you aren't on either end of the shoe size bell curve you'll find a pair if you are patient.

edit: shit, caleb beat me to the ebay reco...even used the same phrase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here in Wisconsin they have a factory store, pretty hefty markdowns are fairly regular.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That last is pretty narrow, but if you're a true 9.5D, you're in luck. I have a pair - fewer than 10 wears. And I'm willing to sell them for <$100 or trade for bike parts/soft goods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will keep an eye out on ebay, my size is fairly large (13) so getting a lot of selection is rare for me generally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, rats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will keep an eye out on ebay, my size is fairly large (13) so getting a lot of selection is rare for me generally.
    Great Looking Dress Shoes Allen Edmonds Park Avenue Size 13 | eBay

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw those, they look a bit blown out but if the price is right...

also these look really nice!

Allen Edmonds Park Avenue Oxford Cap Toe Dress Shoes Mens 13 D | eBay

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you can call the factory store in Port Washington and ask if they have any seconds. I do believe they will ship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eBay is a good idea, but do make sure you try on a pair before you buy them. AE has several different lasts, and the widths (and, to some extent, lengths) vary widely between them. I'm a 12-12.5D in just about everything, and my Park Aves are a 12C. The width matters more with these shoes than most because the gore (I think that's what the opening covered by the laces is called) is pretty narrow (meaning there's not a lot of room to cinch them up if they're too wide) and doesn't expand much without looking cruddy (if they're too narrow).

And yeah, they're expensive, but on a life-cycle basis, they're very competitive with (if not cheaper than) less expensive shoes. You'll have these for 10 years or more. By all means, track them down. If you have a use for them, you'll never regret buying Park Avenues.

Also, that Walnut finish gives me a half mongrel.
    allenedmonds_shoes_park-avenue_walnut-cloud_l.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd recommend trying them on first. I find that the toe box gets narrow real quick. If you don't have an AE store near you, try Brooks Brothers -- they sell a rebadged model. In fact, the outlets were clearing the BB version of the PA out at arond $100 if I misremember correctly. Just give them a call.

If you don't know shoes, buying used stuff off of eBay can get a bitch. I wouldn't pay any real money without a shot of the sole. Keep in mind, if it needs to be respoled, your looking at around $100 most likely to resole. And if the leather is cracked, you're fucked more or less. My pair is cracked, but they fit and I paid $10 for them at a Goodwill. I find them so formal that I rarely wear them more than once a month, so they'll last me just fine.

Lots of alternatives. Just find a non-corrected grain captoe. I'd recommend looking for OLD Johnston and Murphys or the Made in Italy Cole Hanns or possibly Hanovers. Try searching for captoe in your size and see what comes up. J&M's are so shitty now that people forget that they once made great shoes. These would be an OK choice, but may be corrected grain. These are newer than the ones I'd target -- look for ones with the older logo. If those were $25 I'd say go for them. But I'm picky on this stuff, and probably make 20 thrift shop visits a month.

EDIT:

Another possible option HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw those, they look a bit blown out but if the price is right...
    My attitude is that if you can get them for $10 and you like them, later you can send them off to AE for their $125 refurbishing service and end up with a like new set of shoes for less than $150.

Cody^ is right about checking the soles. If they're still on the original soles, the uppers should have lots and lots of life left. If they've been resoled, I might pass.

For $10-20 though, the risk is minimal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    My attitude is that if you can get them for $10 and you like them, later you can send them off to AE for their $125 refurbishing service and end up with a like new set of shoes for less than $150.

Cody^ is right about checking the soles. If they're still on the original soles, the uppers should have lots and lots of life left. If they've been resoled, I might pass.

For $10-20 though, the risk is minimal.
    Another thing on this train of thought -- if they have been resoled by a third party AE will NOT resole them for you. Luckily, B.Nelson will and gets rave reviews.

I've bought resoled shoes before, and actually like to do that, since it typically means the previous owner cared about their shoes. I buy and look at a ton of used shoes because I'm into this for some unknown reason, and LOTS of them have worn out soles. My theory is once someone prices the resoling, the yjust go get a new pair... You won't see a ton of pics of soles on eBay because it has what they paid for the shoes in magic marker or paint pen (XII isn't a reference to the pope, FYI), but at least look for a positive affirmation in the description that they are ok. You can check it by putting your hand on the inside and outside of the shoe and judging the thickness under the ball of the foot. Ideally, it should be resoled before holes develop. If a seller says the soles are ok and they aren't you can get your money back. That's about the only good thing about eBay.

Another part to check is on the inside of the heel. Some folks generate a ton of wear here, and if they're not careful, it'll chew right through the side of the shoe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch out on the Bay though. There is a lot of counterfeit Chinese knock off clothes and shoes floating around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B.Nelson is now $165 if you want J. Rendenbach soles. That said, they just did a pair of Alden cordovan longwings for me, and I like the results better than Alden re-crafting. They're about 10 blocks from my work, so if you need someone to go in person and drop stuff off and describe special things that need to be done, I can help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty new to nice shoes, what is a good way to tell if the sole is on the back side of its life? I have never owned a pair of leather soled shoes before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    If you have a use for them, you'll never regret buying Park Avenues.
    On this point, these are very limited use shoes IMO. They are the TTbike of shoes. Outside of wearing a suit in more-formal occasions, I don't think they look right. The most casual way I'd wear them is with a navy blazer and grey wool pants. And even then, I'd think they were too much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty new to nice shoes, what is a good way to tell if the sole is on the back side of its life? I have never owned a pair of leather soled shoes before.
    I re-edited my post above for in person.

From pictures, look at how the stitching is worn around the sole. THESE look good. These are middleground - plenty of life but used. THESE are bad. You can see the hole forming, but also look at how they are generally real worn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cody.wms View Post
    On this point, these are very limited use shoes IMO. They are the TTbike of shoes. Outside of wearing a suit in more-formal occasions, I don't think they look right. The most casual way I'd wear them is with a navy blazer and grey wool pants. And even then, I'd think they were too much.
    I wear suits 4 days per week. So they work for me. (Well, the last is too narrow, but captoe oxfords work for me.) Today I am wearing a navy blazer and light greay wool pants. Naturally, Cody, I am wearing whiskey Cordovan loafers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast