Thread: Youth Unemployment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Youth Unemployment

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Truth be told, we did both. We chose to export production to china and ignore the resulting pollution created over there and increased our consumption over here.
    Did I leave anything out?

What you will find is perpetual motion machines don't exist and most of our solutions require the suspension of disbelief.
    Oh yes I'm well aware of that.

All bad all the time: Beijing AQI: Current Air Quality Index

To momentarily drag this into a petro-tangent: the Prius is the most widely sold car in Cali, which has a fairly clean, mostly non-coal burning fuel supply. Sure there are immense environmental costs to producing a car, but if one had to have one this is a conscious decision on a lot of people's parts. Of course you can't negate the thing gets over 50mpg and those guys are speaking with their wallets. Anyway not a perpetual motion machine but perhaps a better-lubed one. The next step.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I think there's a case to be made that the WWII-vet generation did it differently by making investments in society that we now continue to enjoy.

They built the interstate highway system.
    A huge mistake in my opinion. Took money away from making a viable train and mass transit system. While not the original intent (and Ike was shocked when he realized it happened) implementation of the system induced suburban sprawl at the expense of agriculture and the rapid hollowing of the great urban centers. This despite a strong belief among Ike's generation that it was the U.S. farmers and vibrant cities that produced the mix of citizen soldiers necessary to prevail in WW2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J View Post
    Better to say the majority were ignorant at least on the point of toxins. .
    Ok, 99%+.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    Ok, 99%+.
    Sadly true.

Silent Springs made a sensation among a few intellectuals and counter culture types but otherwise did not attract public attention the way Upton Sinclair's The Jungle did a generation before.

Rachel Carson could not write nearly as well as Sinclair. Interesting book but dry as the Mohave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes I'm well aware of that.

All bad all the time: Beijing AQI: Current Air Quality Index

To momentarily drag this into a petro-tangent: the Prius is the most widely sold car in Cali, which has a fairly clean, mostly non-coal burning fuel supply. Sure there are immense environmental costs to producing a car, but if one had to have one this is a conscious decision on a lot of people's parts. Of course you can't negate the thing gets over 50mpg and those guys are speaking with their wallets. Anyway not a perpetual motion machine but perhaps a better-lubed one. The next step.
    You are swapping one form of pollution (petro) for another type of pollution (nickel toxicity). Which is better for the environment is debatable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    You are swapping one form of pollution (petro) for another type of pollution (nickel toxicity). Which is better for the environment is debatable.
    I realized I omitted that and was too lazy to edit it in. First cup of coffee and all. These cars are a way to greenwash the toxicity issue I've found. The Nissan Leaf is the latest, along with the Tesla Coupe.

But from a direct-impact standpoint in humans, there is no doubt petro-pollution has much greater impact geographically in a place like the Los Angeles basin or Beijing rather than a localized mining/manufacturing polluting one, unless the latter contaminates ground water with effluent. As an example Google employees (maybe a thousand iirc) last week were found to have been exposed to toxins on a Superfund site in the Valley due to an air filtration malfunction. Previous manufacturers such as Intel and Raytheon (I think) had either dumped directly or indirectly leaked heavy metals into the soil. The land is too valuable not to use, so let's spray it with some stuff and build on it!

Back to LA...anyone who drove there in the 80s (me) can tell you it's way better now, though I was still sick for days last time we stayed at the W above a major freeway interchange. Remember the 49 state car models, one specifically reserved for Cali and their damn pollution laws (auto mfg. lobbyists)? Now there are cleaner-burning cars for everyone, one 50 state model. Times change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thing you wrote is a combination of faux humble apology to prop up a rehash, in the same intellectually lazy way, of a very broad generalization, which I wrote about but you completely ignored. You'd be ripped to shreds in any moderated debate.

By the way there was this thing called the Industrial Revolution - ever heard of it? My generation created a lot more pollution because there were a lot more people using products and moving around. People didn't know anything about toxic effects on humans or the planet. Now they do and either ignore them or do something about it. What camp are you in besides the complaining one?
    Who's side am I on? What an incredibly myopic view. I'm on everyone's side.

As for the industrial revolution, let's put it into context. The boomers, along with all of their technological advancements, also made leaps and bounds in scientific advancements. And they threw it out the window. "This is science. Science is hard facts. Now let's debate it."

Most people here know what I do. I work for oil. I take. I don't buy back in. I commute by bicycle or public transportation. I vote with my dollar. Fuck what you think you know about politics or religion or morals. The only thing these people respect is time and money. And I take up as much of it as I can.

Think about me the next time you go to the pump or spit out another kid with a carbon footprint.
    I'll think of you the next time someone orders another bottle for the table. Because, unfortunately- and I do mean that- business is good.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Who's side am I on? What an incredibly myopic view. I'm on everyone's side. this is not an answer to my question. it's pandering.

As for the industrial revolution, let's put it into context. The boomers, along with all of their technological advancements, also made leaps and bounds in scientific advancements. And they threw it out the window. "This is science. Science is hard facts. Now let's debate it." this is inane. look around - boomers also made the mop that cleans up stuff.

Most people here know what I do. I work for oil. I take. I don't buy back in. I commute by bicycle or public transportation. I vote with my dollar. Fuck what you think you know about politics or religion or morals. The only thing these people respect is time and money. And I take up as much of it as I can.no fuck you and what you think. and i say that with the least amount of respect.

Think about me the next time you go to the pump or spit out another kid with a carbon footprint.i think about you never until you spout off pure bullshit on the net. you don't know how many legs my kids have asshole.
    I'll think of you the next time someone orders another bottle for the table. Because, unfortunately- and I do mean that- business is good.no i don't care to think about what you do for a living.
    Chase is able to talk out of both sides of his mouth - you guys who are old all suck. I work for oil and am proud of it. No I don't do anything about the enivronment; it's convenient for me to bad mouth things I can't control because I'm lazy and am looking for the maximum amount of likes.

You called me santicmonious once -- what a load of horseshit you continue to spew here. Entirely unable to back up a viewpoint with your brain, entirely able to demogogue. So utterly spineless.

I've got plenty more, just keep it coming. You're punching outta your weight class boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GAAP View Post
    There is a lot of truth in this. If I were 25 years old, I'd be pissed that the future being passed down to me is not near as bright as the future that got passed down to the previous 'generation'.

With that said, the sin of the previous generation has been too much trust in politicians & government, starting about the time of LBJs 'great society'. It's the policticians of both partys that have created an unfathomable amount of debt that hinders growth, prosperity, and freedom at every level.
    Debt wasn't created due to public works, which is what I think you're hinting at. It was created by deregulation and privatization of nearly everything with the promise of increased productivity but at the cost of throwing large chunks of society under the bus. It is usually best to assume that people act in good faith. What happens as a result of their actions is another story. That's as nice as I can put it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chase is able to talk out of both sides of his mouth - you guys who are old all suck. I work for oil and am proud of it. No I don't do anything about the enivronment; it's convenient for me to bad mouth things I can't control because I'm lazy and am looking for the maximum amount of likes.

You called me santicmonious once -- what a load of horseshit you continue to spew here. Entirely unable to back up a viewpoint with your brain, entirely able to demogogue. So utterly spineless.

I've got plenty more, just keep it coming. You're punching outta your weight class boy.
    We've been through this before. You're an angry dude. We get it. You also like to get personal. Yet you don't like it given back to you. Say something, don't; it doesn't bother me.

Hell, at least I'm doing ok.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've been through this before. You're an angry dude. We get it. You also like to get personal. Yet you don't like it given back to you. Say something, don't; it doesn't bother me.

Hell, at least I'm doing ok.
    I'm doing fine too. You dropped the first eff bomb.

This last part about money -- it says, "as long as I have it I feel content to slander an entire generation because it makes me feel good because I did not have a strong father figure (that's a direct quote)".

Funny how you can continually make false assumptions about kids, income, old people...pretty much everything...and still see yourself coming out smelling like a rose. You're on a fishing expedition and come up dry. As usual.

So to sum up: you've admitted you have no morals, but will lecture others on theirs. Got it.

Your turn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm doing fine too. You dropped the first eff bomb.

This last part about money -- it says, "as long as I have it I feel content to slander an entire generation because it makes me feel good because I did not have a strong father figure (that's a direct quote)".

Funny how you can continually make false assumptions about kids, income, old people...pretty much everything...and still see yourself coming out smelling like a rose. You're on a fishing expedition and come up dry. As usual.

So to sum up: you've admitted you have no morals, but will lecture others on theirs. Got it.

Your turn.
    You are not bound to choose your father as a father figure or role model.

That one is more for the kids, not really for you.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are not bound to choose your father as a father figure or role model.

That one is more for the kids, not really for you.
    You so totally got killed on every point, now you're saying, "hey look kids I'm a role model". Brilliant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You so totally got killed on every point, now you're saying, "hey look kids I'm a role model". Brilliant.
    No, babe. I didn't claim to be a role model. I just said you weren't.

Although you did teach me a lot about mops and stuff.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, babe. I didn't claim to be a role model. I just said you weren't.

Although you did teach me a lot about mops and stuff.
    You, a guy who takes big oil money and is proud of it, has no room to judge anyone. It's true I'm not a role model; I'm just a guy doing what he needs to do. Never claimed to be, but you can't see that. Another false assumption.

The last line is an attempt at humor. Sorry it's lame. And, for the record, you got smeared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You, a guy who takes big oil money and is proud of it, has no room to judge anyone. It's true I'm not a role model; I'm just a guy doing what he needs to do. Never claimed to be, but you can't see that. Another false assumption.

The last line is an attempt at humor. Sorry it's lame. And, for the record, you got smeared.
    Yeah?

Meh.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah?

Meh.
    A legend in your own mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You kids need to take a time out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is where the virtual world really sucks.
    In real life, this would segway into a fist-fight, followed by beers and apologies - and maybe new friendships.

Call me if there's going to be a rumble, okay?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that's the way we used to do it, old timer. Very effective.

You old farts should judge this one: the deemed loser has to apologize publicly. Unless you're wrong, of course.