Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 80 of 177 FirstFirst ... 707172737475767778798081828384858687888990 ... LastLast
Results 1,581 to 1,600 of 3523

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Yeah I get that. But the question is, is the increased cost worth the extra durability? And how much extra is the cost?
    Durability is something of a relative question. Sapphire is scratch and shatter resistant, until it isn't, and then the failure is pretty dramatic. Other mineral or plexi crystals are more prone to scratching, but less likely to shatter catastrophically. There's a reason the moonwatch didn't use sapphire.

But yes, if you're looking for the peak in scratch resistance, sapphire is the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I get that. But the question is, is the increased cost worth the extra durability? And how much extra is the cost?
    I might have missed the details on cost in an earlier post, but I guess it depends on how much the upcharge is in relation to the overall cost of the watch and how nice a piece it is (and if every little scratch will drive you nuts). Some consider those small scratches on plexi its "patina." You can always have it replaced down the line if need be.
    Chris

Road, CX, Mountain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not "usually" found sapphire crystals on sub $500 watches.

And, This one is a favorite if I was going Citizen and Solar:

PROMASTER DIVER BN0150-28E

If Seiko and Solar:

Seiko Prosepx SNE441

I have tried both and while the Seiko is more expensive, it is and feels like better quality. The strap on the Seiko is noticeably more comfortable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post

If Seiko and Solar:

Seiko Prosepx SNE441

I have tried both and while the Seiko is more expensive, it is and feels like better quality. The strap on the Seiko is noticeably more comfortable.
    $500? Yikes. Looks like I won't be getting sapphire!

Those both look nice, but are a little busy for my taste, and too big. I've got scrawny wrists so I want something in ~38mm range. I do like the offset knob on the Citizen.

I like the look of this Seiko, though I would swap out the band. But I don't like it an extra $100 over the Citizen...tho on Amazon they're both the same price (give or take).

Hmm..well this one is available around $170 (those prices on the Seiko site are waaaaay off what they actually sell for apparently). But it's not my style.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 01-24-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those both look nice, but are a little busy for my taste, and too big. I've got scrawny wrists so I want something in ~38mm range. I do like the offset knob on the Citizen.

I like the look of this Seiko, though I would swap out the band. But I don't like it an extra $100 over the Citizen...tho on Amazon they're both the same price (give or take).

Hmm..well this one is available around $170 (those prices on the Seiko site are waaaaay off what they actually sell for apparently). But it's not my style.
    Check out Long Island Watch (very well respected) for different styles of watches and bands.
    They also have a great YouTube channel: LI Watch YouTube

They have Seiko solars.

All Solars on the site.

*no affiliation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can find watches with a sapphire crystal for under $500....the problem is finding it on one that is quartz and solar.

You should know that most of the less expensive Seikos do not have sapphire crystals. They have a proprietary Seiko crystal called "Hardlex" which will scratch, though not as easily as a normal mineral crystal.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out Long Island Watch (very well respected) for different styles of watches and bands.
    They also have a great YouTube channel: LI Watch YouTube

They have Seiko solars.

All Solars on the site.

*no affiliation.
    Excellent, thanks!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Seiko and Solar:

I have one of those Citizens. I'm wearing it now, as it happens. I've had it ~1.5 years. It has two noticeable scratches on the crystal. I don't remember any big impacts that I thought would have scratched it.

I didn't like the strap on the Citizen, I changed it pretty soon after buying the watch. I just change it today to a Maratac, at the recommendation of someone here. So far, so good.

FWIW, if/when I get another watch, it will most likely have a sapphire crystal.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone is into divers, I think this is one of the best values right now at $595: well known Swiss movement so getting service will be easy, 200m diver, well-known company, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel insert, and does not cost that much more than many similarly priced Seikos people seem to love.

Squale 1545
    (Long Island Watch, Squale USA)

*LI Watch is the USA importer and hosts the Squale USA website so it really does not matter which link you choose because either way it will ship from LI watch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone is into divers, I think this is one of the best values right now at $595: well known Swiss movement so getting service will be easy, 200m diver, well-known company, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel insert, and does not cost that much more than many similarly priced Seikos people seem to love.
    I would say this is...pretty much the same specs (ETA 2824, sapphire, ceramic insert) and at today exchange rate it's $418, 2 day shipping from Germany included, for either the 39mm or 42mm version. There are also 42mm versions with aluminum inserts for 30 EUR less. Taucheruhren Steinhart Watches | Design in hochster Qualitat - Steinhartwatches

Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the automatic mid-pilot from Maratac which has a sapphire crystal and was well under $500. I’ve been wearing it almost 24/7 for a few years and it still has not a single scratch. They have a diver for sale currently: ( X1 ) SR-35 Diver Automatic Watch by Maratac & Clear Sapphire Back! | CountyComm – CountyComm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like all the responses but we may be getting away from Dustin's original request of smaller, less expensive, and SOLAR (and yes, I am the one who started down this path).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Citizen Eco-Drive divers watch that I bought about 15 years ago on the recommendation of one of my journalist friends. Great watch. Mine is fully patinated with scratches in a sweat & use burnished kind of way, but there aren’t really too many on the crystal. I just noticed that the Eco-Drive medallion on the back is coming unglued, but if I hadn’t taken it off to look at it this morning, I never would have known because I never take it off. I put rubber bands from Watch Band King on it as they can be cut to length easily and have a clasp instead of a buckle. My wrist is only 15.7cm around, so a 41mm watch basically covers my wrist and requires a highly adjustable band. But I can definitely vouch for the durability of the Citizen Eco-Drive divers. The 200m depth rating is key for getting a durable watch, even if you never go down to 200m. The thicker crystal, screw-in wind stem and solid back is key. And the solar power. You still need batteries switched out, but I’ve put in two in 15 years. I’d buy another watch (like the one above with the offset stem!) but I don’t need one.

Edit: Looks like Watchband King is gone, so I will just have to get one of those Erika’s MN bands. Nuts.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-25-2019 at 10:46 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the Victorinox INOX watches are really nice and the watch face isn’t so cluttered with things you’ll never use. They are very durable too. This is a semi-fancy one made out of titanium, but the line has models all up and down the price range. And I think they all have a saffire crystal and 200m rating? Have to check that.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Victorinox watches are interesting, but they seem to start about $400. Funny enough, their knives (which they're most well known for I think) are known as being amazing value pieces...they're not the *best*, but they're better than many that cost several times as much.

I'm kinda digging this Bertucci. 200m water resistance, 10 year battery (not solar, but 10yrs is a long time), sapphire crystal, titanium case, no pins to break, offset crown, and $200. May be a little bigger than I like though...would be nice to see one in person.

Bertucci A-2T Special Edition Titanium Watch with Kahki Nylon Strap #12724

Last edited by dgaddis; 01-25-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is an INOX model that goes for about $250 on Amazon. $255.98 in fact. Nice classic look, 43mm stainless case with screw-down crown and sapphire crystal. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    There is an INOX model that goes for about $250 on Amazon. $255.98 in fact. Nice classic look, 43mm stainless case with screw-down crown and sapphire crystal. Seems like a pretty good deal.

Very nice. A bit big for me though I think...
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1994 Explorer II (40mm)
    2009 DateJust (36mm)
    2018 Submariner Date (40mm)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice. A bit big for me though I think...
    Yes, it would be nicer at 41mm, but the watch is better proportioned that a lot of the man-bricks I see creating premature curvature of the spine weighing down lot of wrists these days.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the bygone era of 32mm bumper automatics.

Last edited by j44ke; 01-25-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books