User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 75 of 112 FirstFirst ... 656667686970717273747576777879808182838485 ... LastLast
Results 1,481 to 1,500 of 2235

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

It was 25 years ago and I really just remember the pain and that it only lasted a couple days. And this
    ...started to develop a sharp pain in my chest on the right side. It started to get difficulty to inhale and I thought maybe it was a gas bubble or something...
    was a good description.

I must say that I've had Covid about 156.5 times since this whole thing started, but a second afterwards each time, I realized I just needed to stop reading the news and take a deep breath & have a glass of water.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Coronavirus in America: The Year Ahead - The New York Times

"The coronavirus is spreading from America’s biggest cities to its suburbs, and has begun encroaching on the nation’s rural regions. The virus is believed to have infected millions of citizens and has killed more than 34,000.

Yet President Trump this week proposed guidelines for reopening the economy and suggested that a swath of the United States would soon resume something resembling normalcy. For weeks now, the administration’s view of the crisis and our future has been rosier than that of its own medical advisers, and of scientists generally.

In truth, it is not clear to anyone where this crisis is leading us. More than 20 experts in public health, medicine, epidemiology and history shared their thoughts on the future during in-depth interviews. When can we emerge from our homes? How long, realistically, before we have a treatment or vaccine? How will we keep the virus at bay?

Some felt that American ingenuity, once fully engaged, might well produce advances to ease the burdens. The path forward depends on factors that are certainly difficult but doable, they said: a carefully staggered approach to reopening, widespread testing and surveillance, a treatment that works, adequate resources for health care providers — and eventually an effective vaccine.

Still, it was impossible to avoid gloomy forecasts for the next year. The scenario that Mr. Trump has been unrolling at his daily press briefings — that the lockdowns will end soon, that a protective pill is almost at hand, that football stadiums and restaurants will soon be full — is a fantasy, most experts said."
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I'm one of them. FWIW, I think it's because many of us are on inhaled steroids or leukotriene inhibitors. Many of the young people killed by the disease die from the inflammatory component (ARDS) caused by the virus as a secondary phenomenon. The inflammation may be blunted by years of inhaled steroids or leukotriene inhibitors. These (inhaled steroids) are small local doses; enough to suppress airway inflammatory response without causing systemic immunosuppression. Just a hypothesis, nothing to extrapolate from it for potential therapy. Steroids after the fact for Covid-19 ARDSare not useful - probably a horse out of the barn phenomenon.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am one of the more vulnerable, I'm not promoting his viewpoint, don't know who he is or the validity of the studies he references, was sent a link to this, just posting it for thought and comments.

Forrest Leichtberg

So many posts about how it’s not time to begin the gradual process of reopening the economy. My perspective from consulting with various medical professionals each day is the following:
    - Keeping the lockdowns in place to save lives sounds great, until the fact is recognized that the virus isn’t going anywhere no matter how long things are locked down, and that the virus is going to spread to the majority of people regardless. That’s the factual life-cycle of a pandemic like this. Locking down doesn’t stop the spread, it only delays and slows it so that hospital overload is prevented. I don’t like or want the virus to spread, but reality must be accepted or else we’re living in a fantasy.
    - Stanford just came out with a groundbreaking anti-body study conducted in Santa Clara County estimating that 50 to 85 times more people have acquired the virus than previously thought, thus reducing the fatality rate to more like 0.1% - 0.2%. LA County officials will be releasing their own anti-body study results next week and have already shared that a similar story will be told from it. Also, German scientists ran a study in a city called Gangelt and found similar findings. These are some of the only if not the only major anti-body studies that have been conducted thus far, and they all point to the same ballpark mortality rate of right around 0.1%. If their results continue to be replicated and shown true in the coming weeks and months, then the politicians who advocated for mass shutdowns will have potentially sabotaged their chances of being elected and re-elected. Yes, this is a friendly warning to the Democratic Party to be cautious about sabotaging their own chances in the upcoming elections.
    - When lockdowns are lifted, it will lead to additional pandemic waves because no herd immunity will have been developed. By the way, the medical professionals and doctors I’ve consulted with have never known of any virus in history where the antibodies didn’t protect against reinfection.
    - What about hospital capacity? California is at around 10% hospital capacity. Most of the country isn’t even close to capacity.
    - But what about hotspots like NYC? There are hotspots like NYC that need to lock down in order to prevent hospital overload. But that doesn’t mean that the rest of the country needs to be locked down in order to avoid overload.
    - What about waiting for a vaccine? No safe vaccine has ever been created for a Coronavirus, which were first discovered in the 1930s. Besides, if a vaccine were created in two years it would be historic timing. Some vaccines can take five years, ten years, or are never successfully created. Therefore, it’s not realistic to lock down until a vaccine is created. To think we can safely lockdown long enough for a vaccine to come around is just science fiction.
    - And how about a treatment? There is no known treatment. It took us ten years to create a treatment for HIV. Again, to think we can lock down for long enough to come up with a solid treatment is just science fiction.
    - Because of the above, the idea that locking down “buys time” for vaccines, treatments, hospital capacity, etc. sounds like a great story but is just science fiction.
    - Reinfection is highly unlikely for the vast majority of people, and the exceptions of those who are reinfected are highly likely to have far less severe cases due to the anti-bodies in their bloodstream. Again, the medical professionals I’ve consulted with have never known of any virus in history where the antibodies didn’t protect against reinfection.
    - “But the virus is mutating!” All viruses mutate. They mutate not twice, not four times or eight times... but thousands of times, and most of those mutations do not survive. And this particular virus has been shown to be very stable in its mutations, making these “mutations” fairly inconsequential.
    - It is true that anti-body immunity will only last for some time until it goes away — probably at least two years. However, there is still no reasonable argument against herd immunity, not because there is not a better alternative but because THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE. This virus will spread through the population, end of story and no ifs, ands, or buts. I don’t want it to, nobody does. But it’s just the lifecycle of these kinds of viruses. A vaccine is not coming any time soon. A treatment neither. Lockdowns can’t happen for years on end. This virus is going to spread no matter what.
    - Thus, the only option is to sequester the vulnerable and allow the non-vulnerable to go back into the world so the world is once again made safe for the vulnerable because the rest of the population will have developed herd immunity. The longer the healthy and non-vulnerable are locked away, the longer the world will remain a dangerous place for vulnerable populations.
    - In the long run locking everyone down may cause more death than if we were to have the vulnerable self-isolate and allow the non-vulnerable to continue normality. Lockdowns prevent non-vulnerable populations from developing herd immunity, and as a result the world will be dangerous for a longer period of time for vulnerable populations, and will be dangerous for them until herd immunity in the non-vulnerable population is achieved. The longer there is no herd immunity in the non-vulnerable populations (thus prolonging the pandemic), the more time this virus will have to spread to vulnerable populations.
    - Thus, the sooner we can allow non-vulnerable populations to return to normality while having the vulnerable self-isolate, the less deaths there will be because we will have shortened the life-span of the pandemic and mostly only exposed the populations who would not succumb to it, until sufficient herd immunity is achieved — essentially ending the pandemic so the world becomes safe for vulnerable populations again.
    - The above suggested approach is not really out of the box anymore. This is, in fact, in alignment with the approach that the United States is beginning to take with the task force’s reopening guidelines: sequestering vulnerable populations while beginning to open things up again for non-vulnerable populations.
    - Lockdowns and economic ruin costs lives, too — and not just for the immune-compromised. I recall a major study at a prominent university from decades ago showing that for every 1% of additional unemployment, there are 40,000 deaths associated with it within five years, in America alone. With a larger population today than back then, let’s say 50,000 per 1% in the following example: say there’s 20% unemployment (there’s more at this point) times 50,000, theoretically equals one million deaths in America alone due to the 20% unemployment increase according to that study. The UN has already predicted that hundreds of thousands of children will die this year due to the economic fallout. Therefore, which has the potential to be more dangerous — the virus or the lockdowns, if lockdowns are in place for too long?
    - This has become too political, left vs. right. The facts are the facts, and Democrats need to be cautious about the current road they are on lest they be annihilated come the upcoming election. If the mass anti-body tests end up showing a mortality rate that is far lower than expected (like Stanford’s recent Santa Clary County study, LA County’s study, and the study in Germany), the Republicans will use the Democrats’ advocacy for continued mass lockdowns as the political weapon that will destroy the Democrats’ chances. By advocating for continued mass lockdowns beyond what is legitimately necessary to prevent hospital overload, the Democratic Party may be sabotaging itself — so be careful.
    All of the above is why I’m for reopening the country everywhere except where healthcare overload is a legitimate concern, and while still having vulnerable populations self-isolate. And politically speaking, I’m a Democrat, but to be fair I’m convinced that our party has found itself on the wrong side of the road.
    Lastly — for those who may question or criticize me for speaking out about my views (which, ironically, would almost only include those who disagree with my perspective and would be because they disagree): I am a citizen of this country, and I am exercising my right to advocate for what I believe is both the right and accurate approach, as I should. If the citizens of our country were to all stay silent, we wouldn’t have a country.
    “Of the People, by the People, and for the People.”
    P.S. By all means, feel free to disagree — but only respectful responses are allowed in the comments section, the rest will be ignored and immediately deleted.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without source material or background of the individual’s expertise, this is hard to evaluate. Some of the points are interesting but not earth shattering and it just reads as an aggregate of ideas that are already out there. The reference to “doctors and medical personnel I have spoken with” means little beyond “this is anecdotal information.” And saying things like “there has never been...” certainly sounds like pragmatic fact, but it doesn’t mean that there will never be or there won’t be some form of solution. Also saying “there is no reason” is a classic negation through over-simplification, especially when there are obviously many reasons. Mostly this feels like a piece with an agenda cleverly disguised as pragmatism with the goal of creating doubt in people’s minds about the value of taking things slowly and scientifically.

But who knows. Where did this come from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    - Stanford just came out with a groundbreaking anti-body study conducted in Santa Clara County estimating that 50 to 85 times more people have acquired the virus than previously thought, thus reducing the fatality rate to more like 0.1% - 0.2%.
    Using this one, readily checkable item (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...463v1.full.pdf, the Stanford antibody study) as an example, I wouldn't take anything from this very seriously.
    - They (Stanford group) don't know how well the antibody test works, and they admit this. Not approved by FDA. Frequency of false positives/negatives???
    - They recruited their test cases on Facebook, and then selected from the respondents to match the county demographics. This improves the sample (the starting bias is heavily skewed towards women in a certain age range, and with cars to get to the test site), but doesn't remove all sampling bias.
    -The 50-85 times value is relative to confirmed cases, yet the more sophisticated estimates of mortality (eg those cited on reputable news sites) rely on estimates of how many people have been infected, not how many have actually tested positive.
    - Finally, I might have missed it, but I didn't see any statement in that article about revised mortality rates. That seems to be a projection (based on at least some incorrect premises) by Forrest Leichtberg, whoever that may be, although the way it's written it implies the Stanford group reached this conclusion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no idea who the author is but there is truth to never having developed a successful vaccine for a Coronavirus and no vaccine ever being created in a year or 2. In fact most do take 10 years with 4 being the shortest(mumps?? Can’t recall). The next month or so will tell a(A) story wrt antibody testing. The author might have some pretty solid thinking there. Or maybe not. Still too much unknown about this virus to risk now.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Without source material or background of the individual’s expertise, this is hard to evaluate. Some of the points are interesting but not earth shattering and it just reads as an aggregate of ideas that are already out there. The reference to “doctors and medical personnel I have spoken with” means little beyond “this is anecdotal information.” And saying things like “there has never been...” certainly sounds like pragmatic fact, but it doesn’t mean that there will never be or there won’t be some form of solution. Also saying “there is no reason” is a classic negation through over-simplification, especially when there are obviously many reasons. Mostly this feels like a piece with an agenda cleverly disguised as pragmatism with the goal of creating doubt in people’s minds about the value of taking things slowly and scientifically.

But who knows. Where did this come from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clarity. You just pasted a page of alot-of-stuff. Too much to really digest. Do you have a solid recommendation to share? Would love to hear it.

FWIIW It was never only about not overwhelming hospitals and resources which everyone agrees leads to gastly unfathomable medical decisions and deaths in number that make the most hardened luditte shudder (deep breath and punctuation).

It is equally about wasting as much time as is necessary to create crazy shit like a vaccine or therapies and methods going (safely) forward.

Bueller?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    I am one of the more vulnerable, I'm not promoting his viewpoint, don't know who he is or the validity of the studies he references, was sent a link to this, just posting it for thought and comments.

Forrest Leichtberg

So many posts about how it’s not time to begin the gradual process of reopening the economy. My perspective from consulting with various medical professionals each day is the following:
    - Keeping the lockdowns in place to save lives sounds great, until the fact is recognized that the virus isn’t going anywhere no matter how long things are locked down, and that the virus is going to spread to the majority of people regardless. That’s the factual life-cycle of a pandemic like this. Locking down doesn’t stop the spread, it only delays and slows it so that hospital overload is prevented. I don’t like or want the virus to spread, but reality must be accepted or else we’re living in a fantasy.
    - Stanford just came out with a groundbreaking anti-body study conducted in Santa Clara County estimating that 50 to 85 times more people have acquired the virus than previously thought, thus reducing the fatality rate to more like 0.1% - 0.2%. LA County officials will be releasing their own anti-body study results next week and have already shared that a similar story will be told from it. Also, German scientists ran a study in a city called Gangelt and found similar findings. These are some of the only if not the only major anti-body studies that have been conducted thus far, and they all point to the same ballpark mortality rate of right around 0.1%. If their results continue to be replicated and shown true in the coming weeks and months, then the politicians who advocated for mass shutdowns will have potentially sabotaged their chances of being elected and re-elected. Yes, this is a friendly warning to the Democratic Party to be cautious about sabotaging their own chances in the upcoming elections.
    Have we learned anything in the past month that makes that scenario more or less likely than when this thing first hit?

I think there are a few pieces of evidence that might point either way. I think it seems unlikely that it would be really, really widespread. I think there’s a moderate version of that scenario that’s still possible. But just take the number of deaths in a place like New York. The population is over eight million people, and just over eight thousand people have died. [New York City recently revised its death count to more than ten thousand people.] If the death rate is one out of a hundred, that implies that eight hundred thousand people have been infected, which is reasonable. But if the mortality rate is one out of a thousand, that assumes that eight million people have been infected in New York City, which is everyone. So if you scale those up by too big of a factor, you quickly get to a point where it implies that an unrealistic percentage of the city has been infected. So that sort of puts an upper limit on that scenario.

But some people think it spreads a little bit faster than we thought—those people have estimated reproductive numbers that were higher than we had been assuming from earlier estimates. So those maybe indicate that there could be more infections out there. But that’s all to say that there’s evidence, and it’s not clearly supporting either a lot of asymptomatic cases and a very low infection-fatality ratio, or not a lot of asymptomatic cases out there and a relatively high infection-fatality ratio. You could probably go out there and find somebody who would argue vehemently for either side. But I think it’s still one of the primary sources of uncertainty in the epidemic.

What Have Epidemiologists Learned About the Coronavirus? | The New Yorker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case this page for "evidence source" has not been mentioned yet.

Guide to COVID-19 evidence sources
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s Not Too Late to Go on Offense Against the Coronavirus | New Yorker

"For weeks now, we’ve watched the COVID-19 pandemic spread across the United States. During much of that time, it’s seemed like the only thing to do is hunker down, wait, and hope. We hope that a vaccine will arrive, even though we can’t be sure how long that might take, or whether an effective vaccine is even possible. We hope that those who have had the virus will be able to return to work—never mind that we have yet to see proof of durable immunity. Maybe wearing masks and sheltering in place will make the virus recede. Perhaps summer will kill it, even though it has spread in the year-round heat of Singapore and other places. We seem to be hoping that something miraculous will happen—that, somehow, the virus will leave of its own accord.

In the nineteen-nineties, as a co-founder of the global organization Partners in Health, I helped fight multi-drug-resistant tuberculosis in the developing world. In the early two-thousands, I led the World Health Organization’s H.I.V./AIDS department; afterward, as the president of the World Bank, I took on cholera in Haiti and Ebola in West Africa. I’ve been fighting pandemics for most of my adult life. That front-line experience has taught me that hope is a wonderful thing, essential to any difficult undertaking. But, especially when it comes to infectious disease, hope is of little use unless it’s accompanied by a bold and vigorous plan.

South Korea, which so far has managed the pandemic better than any other country, has pursued such a plan. There, people talk about COVID-19 as if it were a person. Leaders at the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have told me that the virus is sneaky, nasty, and durable—and that it has to be hunted down. In Singapore and China, large teams of public-health workers are on a war footing, confronting the virus like the mortal enemy it is. In the face of such an enemy, America’s passivity has been puzzling and unworthy of the best episodes in our history. The time has come for us to get into the fight. It’s not too late: we can still mobilize and start hunting down the virus. What’s needed is a decisive investment in a public-health initiative big enough to meet the challenge."
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    It’s Not Too Late to Go on Offense Against the Coronavirus | New Yorker

......South Korea, which so far has managed the pandemic better than any other country, has pursued such a plan. There, people talk about COVID-19 as if it were a person. Leaders at the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have told me that the virus is sneaky, nasty, and durable—and that it has to be hunted down. In Singapore and China, large teams of public-health workers are on a war footing, confronting the virus like the mortal enemy it is. In the face of such an enemy, America’s passivity has been puzzling and unworthy of the best episodes in our history. The time has come for us to get into the fight. It’s not too late: we can still mobilize and start hunting down the virus. What’s needed is a decisive investment in a public-health initiative big enough to meet the challenge."
    IMO Jim Yong Kim is the most qualified person on earth to speak on this; I've seen him a few times on tv, quite impressive, no nonsense guy with major chops to back up his talk. I don't know if "a decisive investment in a public-health..." is possible in the US at this time but I sure as hell hope it can/will be done.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Partners in Health is advising Massachusetts on implementing this plan.

Our governor has been more cautious than ideal, but he is doing almost everything right. This is a really ambitious and labor-intensive undertaking and I believe it will pay off bigly.

Thanks Governor Baker!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coronavirus more prevalent in L.A. County, tests suggest - Los Angeles Times

Hundreds of thousands of Los Angeles County residents may have been infected with the coronavirus by early April, far outpacing the number of officially confirmed cases, according to a report released Monday.

The initial results from the first large-scale study tracking the spread of the coronavirus in the county found that 2.8% to 5.6% of adults have antibodies to the virus in their blood, an indication of past exposure.

That translates to roughly 221,000 to 442,000 adults who have recovered from an infection, according to the researchers conducting the study, even though the county had reported fewer than 8,000 cases at that time.

LA County Department of Public Health

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to give a shout-out to our guv, Chris Sununu (last name sound familiar?)
    I always had the impression that he was some frat boy born on third base in terms of political clout, but he's done a serviceable job, it seems (read: hasn't been a total incompetent moron) and he has my respect as someone who sits solidly across the aisle.
    Like, he seems, at minimum, to actually give a shit about the residents in the state that he governs.

Edit: perhaps belongs in the political thread, sorry. But, really.... no criticism meant here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same her Moondocky. Gov. Hogan makes me proud. He has lead from the front from the beginning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some historical relevance about spreading disease when you’re asymptomatic...like Typhoid Mary was...

How Typhoid Mary left a trail of scandal and death How Typhoid Mary left a trail of scandal and death - BBC News
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged