User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Any canoe/kayak builders here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any canoe/kayak builders here?

That boat has been on my lust list for years. Like a racing C2 only you can carry a weeks camping gear. So sweet!

Enjoy!
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    A few weeks ago I fell into co-owning a Wenonah Jensen 18 with a friend, and my wife and I had it up in the Boundary Waters for a few days.
    Recently, I've been on the Wenonah site and others more than I'd like to admit. The Minnesota II seems great. Wondering if you could share a little about the MII. Our setup is two adults and a small child on relatively calm lakes. For the next few years, we'd probably only take lunch and some toys. Overtime, I'd like to take enough gear for an overnight. The Jensons sound fun but am wondering if something like the MII is a better choice. Having not touched the boats, its hard to really know what they are like and what to try ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    Recently, I've been on the Wenonah site and others more than I'd like to admit. The Minnesota II seems great. Wondering if you could share a little about the MII. Our setup is two adults and a small child on relatively calm lakes. For the next few years, we'd probably only take lunch and some toys. Overtime, I'd like to take enough gear for an overnight. The Jensons sound fun but am wondering if something like the MII is a better choice. Having not touched the boats, its hard to really know what they are like and what to try ...
    The MII has more carrying capacity and is designed for bigger water/waves etc., but still handles delightfully and is very fast with or without a load and on flat water. As the child gets larger and wants to contribute to the effort, a MIII might be just the ticket if you can trade off maneuverability for flat out speed and capacity...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    To analogize the MNII to bikes, it's sort of the canoe equivalent of a citizen triathlon bike. It's not an all out race machine, but it doesn't make all that many compromises for versatility, either. It's a dedicated flatwater boat (where it's great), but I don't love it on little creeks or any sort of boney moving water. It's also worth saying that Wenonah's construction is usually thought to puncture more easily than other ways of putting kevlar together.

In your position, there are two canoes I'd consider.

First would be a Northstar Northwind 18 with a third (removable) seat: NORTHWIND 18 Both the Northwind 17 and 18 are great boats that allow you to do everything from paddle big flatwater to Class I-III rapids in the same hull, without ever feeling like you're making a big compromise. I don't know how you could go wrong buying a Northwind.

Second would be a Souris River Quetico, again in 18 feet with the removable third seat: Quetico 18.5 | Souris River Canoes There are some construction differences that make the SRs extremely durable without adding much weight. We paddled a fleet of these for a week up in Quetico last summer, and they're great canoes in pretty much every situation. The Quetico feels more similar to the Northstar than different, at least to me. The Quetico is a tougher boat, but the nice aesthetic finishes that are an option on the Northstar (like the wood trim) aren't available on the SR. To me, the SR feels like a refined but utilitarian tool.

A Northstar or Souris River is sort of like a nice all road bike, while the MNII has aerobars. Your tastes may vary, but personally if I only had one canoe I'd want a Northstar Northwind or a Souris River Quetico.

But the real key is to paddle them and see what you like. Reviews and specs don't go all that far. Most good paddle shops will host demo days where they'll bring these options out side by side and let you paddle them. If I were investing in a canoe, I would make a point of paddling several models at the same time to make a choice, even if it meant a little bit of a drive.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ride a bike with aerobars, why wouldn't i like a canoe with them too? ;-)

The request was for a lake boat...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I ride a bike with aerobars, why wouldn't i like a canoe with them too? ;-)

The request was for a lake boat...
    Yeah, but one thing has a way of leading to another...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Yeah, but one thing has a way of leading to another...
    Sometimes.

Spending time in them though is the most important factor. It's the only real way to choose...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I appreciate the feedback. On the websites, they all look great. We definitely need to get buts in seats. The closest Northstar dealer is 5hrs away. The closest Wenonah dealer is about 30 minutes. Souris looks further than Northstar. Thinking we will start with finding a demo day for Wenonah. Thanks for the feedback.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567