User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 68 of 112 FirstFirst ... 585960616263646566676869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 2235

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

How/when does society reopen? It’s not as though this shutdown will eradicate this virus. It seems that when we begin to allow normal life again the cases will flare up again. Curious what the smart folks here think.

How does this play out in the longer term?
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    How/when does society reopen? It’s not as though this shutdown will eradicate this virus. It seems that when we begin to allow normal life again the cases will flare up again. Curious what the smart folks here think.

Vaccine or herd immunity is the only long term play to get rid of it. Assuming we does not mutate every year like flu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

Things won't be normal until either the majority of the population has had this or there's a vaccine that's been distributed to everyone.

For sure stuff like sporting events and town festivals with tons of people intermingling aren't going to happen moving forward. Ditto with most travel. Hopefully there's an intermediary step where the majority of us can get back to work. We need to have a robust test and trace program in place such that sick people can be quickly identified. Then we have to be able to quickly identify people that have had close contact with those people (possibly through GPS location data) and get them tested. If that stuff happens we can probably look at restarting factories and other businesses that are currently idle.

When we do restart those businesses it's going to have to be with strict adherence to social distancing guidelines. Limited numbers of people in the store. 6 feet or a physical boundary between people in the factory. Obsessive compulsive handwashing and cleaning. Anyone that can work remotely should work remotely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone will be a guinea pig essentially.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    The mechanisms involved are completely different. You can smell odorants from a long distance because they diffuse.

Diffusion is a probabalistic function of the concentration difference and temperature: there's a higher concentration near the source so the chance of a molecule moving away from the source is much higher than that of one moving towards it. This creates a net movement down the concentration gradient. The higher the temperature, the faster the molecules move (that being what temperature is).

A droplet containing a virus is far too large to move very far this way as the thermal motions of the molecules largely cancel out. The remnant is what causes Brownian motion.
    if you are in a room with someone that has c19, they are breathing, exhaling, and presumably creating a nice c19 aerosol. you are good with 6 feet or the longer they are in the room, the more air is polluted and beyond the 6 foot range? if the same non-symptomatic c19 infected person takes a jog. jogging 20' behind the person is ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the study I linked in post #1338
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have friends near Milan who have been indoors for five weeks, and expect several more weeks will pass before it's safe to go out.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I have friends near Milan who have been indoors for five weeks, and expect several more weeks will pass before it's safe to go out.
    I think JClay is there too? Or did I misread something a while back?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I think JClay is there too? Or did I misread something a while back?
    I may be repeating myself. They sent Easter greetings today.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I may be repeating myself. They sent Easter greetings today.
    Sorry, I realize I was free associating.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow. How a Boston biotech firm of positively mythical reputation helped spread the virus to Tennessee (Patient One), Indiana, North Carolina, all over Massachusetts, and even back to China. Holy fucking shit.

How Biogen Became a Coronavirus ‘Superspreader’ - The New York Times
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Wow. How a Boston biotech firm of positively mythical reputation helped spread the virus to Tennessee (Patient One), Indiana, North Carolina, all over Massachusetts, and even back to China. Holy fucking shit.

Yes, this is pretty incredible. My wife’s law firm had a similar schedule of management meeting and then partner’s meeting about the same time. Both were cancelled and then travel stopped. At the time if felt overly cautious. Now pretty clear they may have dodged a bullet.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russian roulette, man. Talk about corporate misconduct, and yet they've all recovered.

One Biogen employee even carried the virus back to China.

After falling ill with flu-like symptoms, Ms. Li called an ambulance and was given a coronavirus test, according to a public health official in Belmont, the upscale Boston suburb where she lived. But before she received the results, she booked a flight to Beijing, boarding a plane with her husband and son, leaving behind their house, a white BMW and other trappings of the life they had built in the United States over 15 years.

“They must have been desperate,” said Dr. William Q. Meeker, a statistics professor at Iowa State University who had worked closely with Ms. Li’s husband, Yili Hong, also a statistician. The couple worried most about their 2-year-old, who would be far from relatives if they both fell ill, according to a former graduate school classmate.
    Ms. Li took medicine to conceal her symptoms, and revealed her health condition to flight attendants on board the flight, Air China and Beijing disease control officials said last month.

After she landed in China, authorities placed her under investigation for “obstructing the prevention of infectious diseases,” a crime that reportedly carries a sentence of up to seven years in prison.

In Beijing, the couple suffered from high fevers and lung infections and were hospitalized, Dr. Meeker said. He recently received an email from Mr. Hong that said they were recuperating, but that their lives “will be different in the future.”

It appears that all of Biogen’s employees who fell ill have recovered. Aside from Ms. Li, who was fired, all have returned to work, Mr. Caouette said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A doctor friend in private practice in Brooklyn told me that a TSA agent at JFK showed up to work with symptoms, so they sent him to the doctor. He took the subway to my friend's office and the attending physicians subsequently got sick.

I think there are myriad stories like this.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And at least one of our VSalon members hung out with some of the attendees at a bar. And when I ran into him at another pub on March 9, he was the last non-family member I've hugged. Hey, he's a good looking guy!

Fortunately both of us have remained healthy.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    Thank you for the kind words. I will be tested on Monday morning. Tests are a bit scarce here and I was warned that they are *fairly* accurate but judgement needs to be used as well.
    Plan B. Today is day 7. I am feeling about the same as before. My chest is still heavy but I have a little more energy than I did a few days ago. Headaches are still pretty bad. I had a Microsoft Teams doctor appointment this morning and my doctor gave me some interesting insight but my course of action will remain largely unchanged. Right now, he is assuming I have a mild case of COVID-19. It has not progressed to a dangerous state so I am going to continue to lay low and rest as much as possible. If I don't have COVID-19, I would also treat it as I have. It seems like people at the 10 day point either get better or go into a brutal downward spiral.

He urged me to NOT go to the drive through testing center to be tested. Yes, it would satisfy my curiosity but my course of action will not change. He has seen many people get tested with a negative test result only to see their symptoms worsen a week later and subsequently test positive. Popular belief is that the test is not as flawed as rumored but the patient without COVID will show up and got COVID from the contaminated area.

Stay safe out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    Plan B. Today is day 7. I am feeling about the same as before. My chest is still heavy but I have a little more energy than I did a few days ago. Headaches are still pretty bad. I had a Microsoft Teams doctor appointment this morning and my doctor gave me some interesting insight but my course of action will remain largely unchanged. Right now, he is assuming I have a mild case of COVID-19. It has not progressed to a dangerous state so I am going to continue to lay low and rest as much as possible. If I don't have COVID-19, I would also treat it as I have. It seems like people at the 10 day point either get better or go into a brutal downward spiral.

He urged me to NOT go to the drive through testing center to be tested. Yes, it would satisfy my curiosity but my course of action will not change. He has seen many people get tested with a negative test result only to see their symptoms worsen a week later and subsequently test positive. Popular belief is that the test is not as flawed as rumored but the patient without COVID will show up and got COVID from the contaminated area.

Stay safe out there.
    Good to hear. Keep up with the laying low. Like you said (bolded above) seems like a lot of narratives out there suggest there is a fulcrum point to this thing and better to err on the side of caution and rest.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-13-2020 at 12:58 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wifey was refused entry to a jobsite this morning following a 99.6 reading on their thermometer. We check our temps pretty regularly at home, given that we're both considered essential, and I work at my office 2 or 3 times a week. Since we've been testing, her temp has never been higher than 98.6, and typically in the low 98s. She gets home, checks her temp....98.3. So now we're questioning both our thermometer and the one at the jobsite. I've gone by 3 stores, no thermometers.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of you may remember when I posted about my granddaughter graduating from nursing school in December. Her career path meant that she started out working in ICU’s. My wife talked to her a little bit ago where she works in Hattiesburg, Ms. 12 hour shifts and only one respirator per shift. ICU has 4 covid cases all on vents. I’m calling my old subcontractors to see if they are hoarding. Sucks.

Mike
    Mike Noble