User Tag List

Page 66 of 362 FirstFirst ... 565758596061626364656667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 7238

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by seanile View Post
    f

Cop motor, cop suspension, cop brakes...

"As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post

Car & Driver preferred the 4 to the 6 in the TSX - The bigger engine ruined the lightness and balance of the car. What it really needs is more than 5 speeds...

3600lbs. is light? What has the world come to. In the parallel U.S. universe in which Americans come around to wagons again, the Mazda6 diesel would absolutely destroy the TSX in driving dynamics, mpg and lightness. Oh yeah, small matter of getting it here. While Mazda, a small company, was focused on developing lightweight platforms and fuel-efficient normally-aspirated engines, Acura did...what exactly?

The marque gets what it deserves, their sales are up a paltry 2% while Toyota, Nissan and Mazda are killing it.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"...The thing is a packaging miracle (and I hear the new model is even better.)..."
    You have touched upon something where some of the other "premium" manufacturers are missing the boat. We all understand dealing with an AWD transmission creates challenges and so forth, yet one would think that engineers from various firms could find ways to keep ride height reasonably close to the ground like a VW Passat 4-Motion AWD or older Audi A4 Avant.

The Honda Fit is simply genius. It can handle all sorts of driver sizes with ease. Tall people can even sit in the rear seats with reasonable comfort if multiple bicycles are not being transported. One wouldn't wish to be perched on the rear bench for HOURS...yet it is totally fine for modest trips. We are living in good times for convenient cars!

A midsize premium wagon with a diesel engine would be heaven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    You have touched upon something where some of the other "premium" manufacturers are missing the boat. We all understand dealing with an AWD transmission creates challenges and so forth, yet one would think that engineers from various firms could find ways to keep ride height reasonably close to the ground like a VW Passat 4-Motion AWD or older Audi A4 Avant.

You keep bringing this Audi thing up, as if the 328i or VW aren't viable alternatives. Missing the boat? Seems to me there are enough choices, given the extremely limited demand for wagons. MB and Audi have to develop new platforms - I'd say it's just common sense soft and hard costs they're looking at, not a missed opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMW 328i is certainly a very nice car. Pricing seems rather "dear" for a 180 hp / 4-cylinder vehicle.
    The sole choice coming from Volkswagen is the Jetta SportsWagen...as VW no longer offers a Passat-level vehicle.
    Volvo doesn't have anything exciting out there just yet. Maybe we will see something from Acura and Mercedes-Benz soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made a Home Depot run on Saturday in my dad's car, an 04 Passat 1.8T w/ 5spd.

Parked at the far end of the parking lot, away from potential door dings.

Nearby was a guy walking back to his 335. We shared a knowing look, nodded to each other, and went about our business.

One could totally start an enthusiast automotive website called The Far End of the Parking Lot. Car guys would instantly get it.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to Home Depot with my Roady wagon. I was able to get full length 2x4s into the back and close the gate and the glass while watching the stiffs with their pickup truxx load stuff with ends sticking up in the air out the back of the bed.

Wagons > pickup truxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    "I went to Home Depot with my Roady wagon..."
    As in a Buick Roadmaster full-size wagon from the early-1990's?
    That and the Chevrolet Caprice were quite likely the last full-size American station wagons produced.
    I would have to dig around on Google...yet I can't recall any in the marketplace after those cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1994. Because LT1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Wagons > pickup truxx
    Not to mention stuff is more likely to stay dry and *not* stolen if an interim stop is needed when running errands!
    I fiddled with idea of a used Nissan Frontier or Toyota Tacoma beater and keep seeing a wagon as the better alternative for 99% of tasks. Loads that I haul are simply unwieldy/bulky (like bicycles...) not like I'm hauling heavy gravel for paving a driveway or similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    3600lbs. is light? What has the world come to. In the parallel U.S. universe in which Americans come around to wagons again, the Mazda6 diesel would absolutely destroy the TSX in driving dynamics, mpg and lightness. Oh yeah, small matter of getting it here. While Mazda, a small company, was focused on developing lightweight platforms and fuel-efficient normally-aspirated engines, Acura did...what exactly?

The marque gets what it deserves, their sales are up a paltry 2% while Toyota, Nissan and Mazda are killing it.
    I had no idea the 6 Wagon existed. It sounds fantastic. But it's also USA vaporware. Mazda is killing it, agreed - The 3 hatchback might be the single best real-world auto available today. But that doesn't help me or you get that wagon.

Honda's definitely lost their mojo a bit (although the Accord continues to impress). Nissan and Toyota may sell more, but when it comes to product they're not my cup of tea.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our other car is a Fit (my wife and I each own 1/2 of two cars.) Two bikes with ease or, for short trips, the tandem while my wife sits in the left rear seat. The thing is a packaging miracle (and I hear the new model is even better.) We are almost embarrassingly fond of the little dude.
    This is what puzzles the bejeesus out of me. The same company that did the Fit (and the Element) SO well in terms of packaging and practicality takes a dump on the US with the CrossTour in the name of "styling". Hey, great for us, we can't make enough Outbacks these days. But also frustrating in terms of what could have been. The more good cars the better I say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone in my neighborhood actually drives a ZDX. It boggles the mind. Maybe the traded their Aztek for it?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone in my neighborhood actually drives a ZDX. It boggles the mind. Maybe the traded their Aztek for it?
    I bought an Aztek. Right when they came out, highest priced/most optioned one I could find (didn't have the tent though). They had me send it to Japan to use as a corporate taxi or something. Crazy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, since we're the only ones here, I'll admit that the moment I saw David's post, I googled "Acura ZDX tent." Great minds and all that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won a contest in 2000 and the "prize" was I got to drive an Aztek for 2 months before it was released, along with a digital camera and the requirement to send in dispatches of how active my life was with the Pontiac in my life. Primitive internet version of stealth marketing. Also got a trip to Santa Monica out of it.

I drove it all up and down the east coast.
    The best thing I can say was that the tent worked pretty well, and it saved me about 3,000 miles on my Golf.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Legit question: I like to camp and backpack and with kids, I think car camping is keen. But what problem does a cartop tent solve - protection from hyenas and scorpions? I've never gone to sleep in my tent and thought, man this would be so much better if it were ON TOP of the Odyssey. Or does it just absolve you from finding a flat camping spot...so long as you find a flat parking spot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had no idea the 6 Wagon existed. It sounds fantastic. But it's also USA vaporware. Mazda is killing it, agreed - The 3 hatchback might be the single best real-world auto available today. But that doesn't help me or you get that wagon.

Honda's definitely lost their mojo a bit (although the Accord continues to impress). Nissan and Toyota may sell more, but when it comes to product they're not my cup of tea.
    Not mine either, though the new Camry is supposed to actually give some sort of feedback. Imagine that.

I'm not a fan of cute utes, but I found the CX-5 to drive more athletically than the Mazda6 and seemed not to understeer as much as the Mazda3. Which begs the question why Mazda6 wagon for the U.S.? Honestly I'd rather see a CX-5 diesel here. I suppose we're more laissez-faire about the genre in general out here, but anyone looking at a non-German wagon who likes a lively car should just test a CX-5. Probably not as much hauling capacity but you can't have everything.

Goes quicker around Laguna Seca than the Mazda3 - how is that bad?

Some idjit in a CrossTour tried to drive through me yesterday - watch out they're multiplying!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Legit question: I like to camp and backpack and with kids, I think car camping is keen. But what problem does a cartop tent solve - protection from hyenas and scorpions? I've never gone to sleep in my tent and thought, man this would be so much better if it were ON TOP of the Odyssey. Or does it just absolve you from finding a flat camping spot...so long as you find a flat parking spot.
    Had my tent staked behind a wind break once, stepped out for a wazz. It was very windy. Wind shifted, uprooting tent and sending it rapidly to the cliff's edge like a wayward bounce house. Who knew a triangular tent could roll?