User Tag List

Page 64 of 146 FirstFirst ... 545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2906

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Today I'm making a bolognese recipe from Il Corvo, which brother alexstar swears is among the best pastas he's ever eaten:

The Ultimate Bolognese Sauce Recipe - Bon Appétit

(not my photo)

steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hah, I was just looking that same recipe in Bon Apetit this morning as a possible for Sunday dinner. Let us know how it went.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    Hah, I was just looking that same recipe in Bon Apetit this morning as a possible for Sunday dinner. Let us know how it went.
    Remember to allow plenty of time, since it takes 6-8 hours in the oven once it all comes together. I didn't, so it's dinner tonight instead of last night.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A co-worker had an impromptu after work cookout the other day, so since my partner and his wife raise cattle, there was no discussion about chicken on the menu. Charcoal grilled, grass fed English belted beef, Tillamook cheese and homemade potato salad washed down with a Red Hook IPA. I've got to get something going beyond burgers this weekend or I'll soon be on blood pressure meds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had planned for a picnic at the Neko Case concert in the park last night, but the early evening thunderstorms decided otherwise. We improvised and ate at home before heading downtown. Mrs. RW hollowed out some bread, spread black olive paste inside and filled with the bread with smoked meats, cheese, sundried tomatoes and artichokes. Some homemade brownies and her fruit filled pastry rounded out the menu.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    We had planned for a picnic at the Neko Case concert in the park last night, but the early evening thunderstorms decided otherwise. We improvised and ate at home before heading downtown. Mrs. RW hollowed out some bread, spread black olive paste inside and filled with the bread with smoked meats, cheese, sundried tomatoes and artichokes. Some homemade brownies and her fruit filled pastry rounded out the menu.
    I'm coming to your house for dinner!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My Sister’s Birthday Dinner

2nd time trying a Low Country Boil. First time I had crab legs instead of shrimp and steamed instead of boiled.
    Can’t say it is the best meal ever, but by far the easier way to feed a large group a diverse seafood dinner.

Momma made a home made Cake!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: My Sister’s Birthday Dinner

Mg2ride- where are you getting softshells? That is the price and quality i paid 20 years ago when my parents lived 2 miles from a shedding house. Nothing better.

Kicking myself for no pictures. Made grilled crab cakes for friends last night. Bold move. You have to have faith and a good grill.

If anyone wants my recipe you'll have to come to my house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, too, wish I had grabbed more pics of the dinner I made last night. Both from were recipes from The Food Lab. Greek style whole grilled chicken and a mayo-less grilled potato salad. My word, mouth watering to say the least. The biggest compliment was that despite not using any salt (a crime, I know, but due to certain health restrictions in the house salt is only applied post cooking), not a one person added any.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Mg2ride- where are you getting softshells? That is the price and quality i paid 20 years ago when my parents lived 2 miles from a shedding house. Nothing better.

Kicking myself for no pictures. Made grilled crab cakes for friends last night. Bold move. You have to have faith and a good grill.

If anyone wants my recipe you'll have to come to my house.
    We got those directly from a shedding house near OBX. Some friends drove down and picked up 8 dozen.

I was supposed to be getting another order from a guy on the Eastern Shore but that never transpired. Had I known that was going to fall thru I would have doubled the order above.

I'm surprised by how good they are holding up in the freezer. I will have gone thru mine within a 2 months of freezing them but I suspect they would be good for twice that.

You post reminded me that I need to take another bag out of the freezer tonight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right on. Clean them, rinse and plastic wrap is SOP. OK now I have to ask....you know what Log Canoe racing is?
    Small world.
    Try grilling the softshells. A wipe with olive oil, salt. Crazy good with mayo on white bread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sucker for Simple

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Right on. Clean them, rinse and plastic wrap is SOP. OK now I have to ask....you know what Log Canoe racing is?
    Small world.
    Try grilling the softshells. A wipe with olive oil, salt. Crazy good with mayo on white bread.
    Before I just did the google search I could not have told you what Log Canoe racing was. Seems cool!

I do however like to try a good simple recipe when I hear one.

On the Grill.

On the Plate!

I would not have guessed they would be this good grilled.

The first 2 were slightly under cooked. I remove the lungs but I don't remove the guts. The meat was perfect but the guts were still a little loose for my liking.

The second batch on the grill right now will cook longer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Sucker for Simple

Fish tacos on the grille tonight with homemade salsa and sauce...I wish that I had access to better fish like some of you folks but it wasn't too bad...cod. The kids always demand s'mores when they're home and I deliver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work there Mg2Ride. I've got to go to my fish monger and score some softshells this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man this rocks...a cyling forum with a FOODIE thread!

Made a Belgette de Veau last night:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    Remember to allow plenty of time, since it takes 6-8 hours in the oven once it all comes together. I didn't, so it's dinner tonight instead of last night.
    I'm a bit obsessed with Bolognese...I cook tons of Italian food...

Just an fyi...That is an interesting recipe but, it's missing the critical classic steps, the essence of a Bolognese.

In particular the "how" of browning of the meat, rendering of the fat...what happens when you add the milk, how it rises like a souffle. The chef even notes that he uses the chicken livers to approximate the correct texture, chicken livers are great but if you execute it properly it isn't necessary, great to add for depth of flavor though, a common variation...It's also very common that most Bolognese recipes gloss over or don't even mention the technique of it...It took me a few years to finally figure it out, and I nail it now. Mario Batali has it nailed, but even he doesn't write it down, but there's a video he did where he talks through it, his times are a bit off, it takes a LONG time to brown the meat properly, much longer than he mentions here and if you don't have the proper ratio of fat to meat it's hard to get the desired result. The whole idea is to slowly get the fat to completely render at a low temp and then it superheats at the bottom of the pan and then you're basically frying:

You gotta get it walnut brown (this is before the tomato paste is added and fired and prior to the addition of the milk):

The fat content of the meat is critical, the more the better, up to a certain point. 70/30 is nice & add butter. The classic beef that is used is hand minced skirt or hanger...I like to add lamb and pork as well, all hand minced. Classically the only tomato added is a paste or concentrate, but I like to add good tomatoes to it.

I love it. Amazing sauce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@unfiltereddregs. Stick around. I like your attention to details. Lots of good cooks here.

I am a fresh tomatoe + concentrated guy. Nice work on the sauce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pho:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pics but did pork ribs nice and slow on the BGE, then pulled the plate and charred up some sweet corn. My wife contributed a cabbage, cucumber, and dill slaw. Great summer eats.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A pal gave me a half pound of fresh crab he caught at the Oregon coast, so I had to make crab cakes! I used an old recipe from Pierre Franey I remember my dad making years ago in Ocean City Maryland. I seem to have gotten skinny so I ate all six crab cakes burp.They were crabtastic. I accidentally dried out the first two as I cooked them too slowly. They got progressively better as I cooked them faster. For the last two I added some fresh corn which was really tasty. Next time I'll make up my own recipe with different herbs and spices I think, but this is a good recipe imho.

Crab Cakes Baltimore-Style Recipe - NYT Cooking
    Attached Images Attached Images