Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games

That's what the Olympics needs - more skinny 15 year old girls winning medals.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    My household says they got the Russians in the wrong order.
    Absolutely! The older Russian skated the most beautiful program ever not to get a gold. The younger one put her jumps last where they got 10% bonus points because they are harder to do on tired legs. While her skate was athletic it didn't have the grace of her older buddy. It was interesting to see the winner console the loser with a long huge afterwards. They have the same coach and train in the same facility and are friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tuned in for the free skate with my girls, and it was worth it. My household says they got the Russians in the wrong order.
    BBC commentators Robin Cousins and Jayne Torvill (both Olympic Gold medallists) seem to agree with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the tradition (politics) of figure skating hierarchy: the older skater is suppose to win (on their way out) and the younger skaters are expected to "put in their time" (on the way up).

So it's not surprising to hear "old guard" olympian skaters feel the same way, as that's what they did.

And that's why figure skating scoring sucks and always has. Judges can be biased.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Far be it from me to tell figure skaters how to do it. Zagitova put on a heck of a show. If I was choosing one routine to watch again, however, I'd watch Medvedeva's.

Given that the IOC is involved, I do wonder about the business aspect. Which one is more likely to return as the defending champion in 4 years, creating all sorts of promotion opportunities? Seems it's the one who will be 19.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...Given that the IOC is involved, I do wonder about the business aspect. Which one is more likely to return as the defending champion in 4 years, creating all sorts of promotion opportunities? Seems it's the one who will be 19.
    Where is Kikkan Randall?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not in Beijing in 4 years?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Eurosport had a nice interview with her after the race. She said (paraphrasing) these moments are the sort that make you think you can keep it going one more time but its time and I have nothing to regret at this point at all. She was actually quite calm and obviously happy but simultaneously sad. Nice way to go.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
    It was interesting to see the winner console the loser with a long hug afterwards. They have the same coach and train in the same facility and are friends.
    Why the women's events are great. That and because many of the women are so multi-talented and might have MBAs and whatnot.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just want to hear from my Canadian neighbors. Are there many in the fetal position up your way? It's a friendly enquiry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marit Bjørgen was incredible but not immortal, which made her effort even better. That last race, the women's 30km, was a tour de force.

And Jess Diggins got 7th!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Far be it from me to tell figure skaters how to do it. Zagitova put on a heck of a show. If I was choosing one routine to watch again, however, I'd watch Medvedeva's.

Given that the IOC is involved, I do wonder about the business aspect. Which one is more likely to return as the defending champion in 4 years, creating all sorts of promotion opportunities? Seems it's the one who will be 19.
    I'll doubt she will return in 4 years to defend. The stresses being placed on the body for the more athletic jumps probably mean a skaters career is shorter now. Skating may become more like gymnastics when the career is over by 20 or younger.

You are probably focuses on the artistry of Medvedeva's, but Zagitova's routine took advantage of the modern scoring system to max on back loading points.

If they both had the same coach, then Medvedeva most certainly knew how to game the system too, but maybe physically was unable to backload her program with jumps to get the bonus. This seems a more likely answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my patience for the ads runs poorly.
    i did get to watch a bit of Nordic early, i caught the team short track on a fluke... ( hungary? really? loved it). a bit of ski racing and shawn white winning the half pipe. flashed onto the Germany/ Canada hockey game but was stunned to see 4-1 germany.
    would have liked to watch the womans hockey final but timing was poor.
    prob a couple of hours over 2 weeks.

not much interested in watching ice bocce, the sliding stuff or figure skating..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my patience for the ads runs poorly.
    i did get to watch a bit of Nordic early, i caught the team short track on a fluke... ( hungary? really? loved it). a bit of ski racing and shawn white winning the half pipe. flashed onto the Germany/ Canada hockey game but was stunned to see 4-1 germany.
    would have liked to watch the womans hockey final but timing was poor.
    prob a couple of hours over 2 weeks.

not much interested in watching ice bocce, the sliding stuff or figure skating..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    Just want to hear from my Canadian neighbors. Are there many in the fetal position up your way? It's a friendly enquiry.
    I was very happy to see the hockey tournament not including NHL players. It was frankly wonderful to see how excited the men’s hockey team was to get a bronze medal. A bunch of lunch bucket players who have received no love from the press that usually salivates over the NHL players getting an Olympic medal. It was great.

Women’s hockey - it happens, I hate shoot outs to decide games but that’s the way it is. I was just happy to see other teams becoming more competitive. It has been Canada / US dominant for too long and the sport needs to grow if it is to continue.

Curling is a different question. Hard to fathom what happened. The women’s team had been dominant in the year preceding the games ( 33 - 3 ), I guess the fishbowl got to them. Men’s curling is just inexplicable.

Again, curling is becoming a much improved sport worldwide and that is good. The medals aren’t a foregone conclusion anymore, for the better.

No fetal position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    I was very happy to see the hockey tournament not including NHL players. It was frankly wonderful to see how excited the men’s hockey team was to get a bronze medal. A bunch of lunch bucket players who have received no love from the press that usually salivates over the NHL players getting an Olympic medal. It was great.

Women’s hockey - it happens, I hate shoot outs to decide games but that’s the way it is. I was just happy to see other teams becoming more competitive. It has been Canada / US dominant for too long and the sport needs to grow if it is to continue.

Curling is a different question. Hard to fathom what happened. The women’s team had been dominant in the year preceding the games ( 33 - 3 ), I guess the fishbowl got to them. Men’s curling is just inexplicable.

Again, curling is becoming a much improved sport worldwide and that is good. The medals aren’t a foregone conclusion anymore, for the better.

No fetal position.
    I disagree personally. KHL is a strong professional league, Germany has a decent league, etc. Gionta to play for the B's now after the olympics. Where do you draw the line?

The womens was great again, although I too hate the shootout, wish the finals and semis would have a deeper OT.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Men's hockey was not very good this year. Not has bad as the....ummmmm....."amateur" days but the obvious bet was still with the Russians.

Agree, Women's hockey was great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Marit Bjørgen was incredible but not immortal, which made her effort even better. That last race, the women's 30km, was a tour de force.

And Jess Diggins got 7th!
    I’ve seen Marit’s smile a lot—why shouldn’t she smile with all those results—but that 30k finish was the first time I’ve seen her struggle to hold back tears as she crossed the line.

I laughed at the glimpse of the course workers bowing to her in the last 1.5k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just want to give a shout out to my neighbor's son, Matt Whitcomb, who coaches the womens' cross country ski team. That was epic. And to Zach Caldwell, who makes the skis go fast. Chapeau!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456