Default Re: Show Your Ink

those are solid ^

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

semi joking/semi serious question - what hurts more tattoos or bike racing?
    It's apples and oranges, I know.
    I don't have any tattoos, probably never will, but I can appreciate art. You guys have some killer artwork on your bodies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    semi joking/semi serious question - what hurts more tattoos or bike racing?
    It's apples and oranges, I know.
    I don't have any tattoos, probably never will, but I can appreciate art. You guys have some killer artwork on your bodies.
    Semi-serious answer, probably tattoos. It's more of an injury pain as opposed to an exertion pain and depending where it is or how big it is, the pain can last for hours as opposed to minutes at a time in a race. But it really does depend where, what and how big. I've gotten some tattoos in easy spots that weren't that big and they were way easier than a bike race. On the other hand, I'd rather do 4 crits a day, 4 days in a row than get my ribs done again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have done a bit of cross and mtb racing. I am/was not a good racer. I have ink on both wrists, both ankles, a tramp stamp, well below the belt area, ring finger on top and on the palm side, and the ones you see above.

Racing wore me out, dehydrated me, made me dizzy. The actual pain of it was manageable and is forgettable.

Out of all my ink the stupid little heart I have on the palm side of my ring finger hurt like a mfer. I winced during a few moments and when I had it touched up it was incredibly uncomfortable, this was after my guy finished both arms. The simplest small tattoo was a pita. All memory of pain fades, but I seem to remember that pretty clearly. I know there are some new fads out there with eyeballs that I cannot imagine being able to do, but I also have no idea if eyeballs are terribly sensitive.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    It's more of an injury pain as opposed to an exertion pain and depending where it is or how big it is, the pain can last for hours as opposed to minutes at a time in a race. But it really does depend where, what and how big...
    A three to four hour session is tough. Much different than even the most intense 50 to 60 min of CX race. But for me, both are very related in that they are voluntary, transformative experiences. Other than that, there are really no comparisons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One can totally bonk during both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    So true. I actually prep for a big session much like I do for a race. Eat very healthy, no alcohol, extra sleep in the days preceding and a focus on rest and recovery afterwards. And I try to eat while getting work done so I don't crash. I think it helps a lot when sitting for sessions in the 3-6 hour range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    That is true. I keep the calories at hand as well as electrolytes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So true. I actually prep for a big session much like I do for a race. Eat very healthy, no alcohol, extra sleep in the days preceding and a focus on rest and recovery afterwards. And I try to eat while getting work done so I don't crash. I think it helps a lot when sitting for sessions in the 3-6 hour range.
    Afterwards is all about recovery. Protein, rest and lots of fluids. And gelatin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You lot are nutters!!!!

I've got a few old school mid eighties tattoos from old London fella called Mark Saint no doubt dead by now but his shop features in the beginning of that Notting Hill film. I'm amazed by the quality of the workmanship that gets put out these days, some real advancement.

Once again.......you lot are nutters! Thanks for sharing.
    Savine Cycles
    savinecycles on Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got this bird thursday, photo is from the day after...
    there were some kinda annoying guys in the shop, i think one swiped one of my beers when i wasn't looking...or i drank 5 beers. pretty sure i only had 4. whatever, no big deal.
    walked to a bar after we finished and we had a few beers to catch up. this dude is only in town maybe twice a year.

i'm happy with this one. it was maybe 3-3.5 hrs of tattooing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome. Love the dagger, too. Mine is half covered by my bib shorts and half exposed and looks like crap now. It's nuts to me that you can drink that much when getting tattooed. Every time I do I bleed a ton and trash the tattoo. Anyway, awesome tattoo and nicely done sitting for the shin a second time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i made sure i ate a carb filled meal before i went in, then i was just drinking coors until we finished.
    then i had a few IPA's, them's the ones that left me a little headache the next morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

image.jpg

Hey Matthew, these are from another fundraiser we did to raise money for my brother Ironman. Our buddy Brandon donated a Saturday and knocked out 37 of these. We raised right at 3 grand all going toward Therapeutic Adventures. These are nothing fancy, just some quick little knockout jobs.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    image.jpg

Hey Matthew, these are from another fundraiser we did to raise money for my brother Ironman. Our buddy Brandon donated a Saturday and knocked out 37 of these. We raised right at 3 grand all going toward Therapeutic Adventures. These are nothing fancy, just some quick little knockout jobs.
    My kind of fundraiser! Very cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the other hand, I'd rather do 4 crits a day, 4 days in a row than get my ribs done again.
    Yes - I endured 3 1/2 hours on my ribs. I couldn't take a minute more. 6 months later, once the memory had faded, I suffered through another 3 hours. I probably need another 3 for it to be finished, but I haven't built up the courage (and it's now been nearly 4 years). The ribs, unlike most other areas, don't become inured to the pain ... it keeps building, and building.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find this interesting - not sure if it's the right place for this.

Decoding Russian criminal tattoos – in pictures | Art and design | The Guardian
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post

A tattooer friend of mine gave me a book about Russian prison tattoos for christmas about 10 years ago. He figured I'd get a kick out of it with my degrees being in Russian stuff. He was so right. It's still one of my favorite gifts ever. Prison tattoos in general tell interesting stories, but Russian prison tattoos have rich and complicated meanings. Oh, and don't get one that you didn't earn if you plan on keeping it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post

This was fascinating, thanks for this info. Soooo many questions about the application and intent of some of these.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.President View Post
    This was fascinating, thanks for this info. Soooo many questions about the application and intent of some of these.
    Here's the book I mentioned above if you're interested in learning more.

And looking online shows that there is now a volume 2 and 3. Apparently there's even more to the topic than I thought. It is fascinating stuff.