Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: BMW 128i thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    if you swap will you have room for a spare?? run-flats ride like bricks
    Wifey's '06 325 had RF tires and were horrible. There was even a class action suit on them as I recall. Plus I couldn't get used to the thought of flatting in BFE at midnight on RFs.

Put on Michelins and made a spare. All is well except the bitching about no trunk space - and it's a legit bitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    We look at them as well as the Audi A3. We could justify neither of them and leased a Prius. Two grand down, $210 per month lease, 55 miles to the gallon. Plus The Prius does not need preminuim gas. You can save tons of dough, yo.
    That didn't go where I expected it to. I guess you never know what someone else is going to cross-shop.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the bullitt didn't have run flats and didn't come with a spare- just a giant can of fix-a-flat. i'll risk it- cell phones have made spares kinda redundent.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats. I'd drive one. Looking at the evolution of BMWs, I see the 128 is the true heir to the BMW 2002 and the first 3 series (E21). Every iteration of the 3 series since the E21 has gained more blubber and become more Americanized.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Lalor View Post
    Damn that's tempting. Maintenance and reliability fears scared me away from buying a used E46 M3 a few years ago (bought a used Land Rover instead, ha!). This thing isn't an M3, but I really liked the straight six in the two BMWs I've driven (Z3 and Z4) and my Outback is a snooze-fest.
    Which LR? Maintenance and Reliability....well, I'm sure you know. Love 'em tho, excluding the Range. Sorta' like a bad dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    the bullitt didn't have run flats and didn't come with a spare- just a giant can of fix-a-flat. i'll risk it- cell phones have made spares kinda redundent.
    Yeah, the TSX has the can o'goop too. It makes me nervous - a blow-out would kill the rim - but not enough to sway my choice. And, hey, without the spare I've got a well under the cargo floor I can stuff with crap!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Yeah, the TSX has the can o'goop too. It makes me nervous - a blow-out would kill the rim - but not enough to sway my choice. And, hey, without the spare I've got a well under the cargo floor I can stuff with crap!
    Ha, that makes three of us w/o run flats and a spare. I finally killed the run flats that came stock with my car, stuck on some Michelin's and roll the dice now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was very close to replacing my stock wheels with the 19" M5 wheels (an acquaintance had a set he didn't need - actually he may still have them). I was more happy to get rid of the run-flats though. Wheels will be an upgrade in the future though. (hey - they cost less than a set of R-Sys).

I just remembered that I was stupid and purchased the Tire Insurance. I wonder if I the tire dies I can replace it with something non run-flat.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chancerider View Post
    Which LR? Maintenance and Reliability....well, I'm sure you know. Love 'em tho, excluding the Range. Sorta' like a bad dog.
    It was a base model '04 Discovery, which I thought I was going into with my eyes open as far as maintenance and reliability go. Still love it, still hate it, and miss it a bit. When the time is right, I might start looking for a '99 Discovery I, which is what I should have bought in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys without run flats and a can of fix a flat must be the same riders on tubulars with a can of Pit Stop and no spare.

I don't judge...nobody like a coward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jerk,

You're going to love the 1er. I just got a 1er last fall, but went a different direction. Picked up a gently used 135i convertible, black, heated seats. Very nice. I don't feel any turbo lag with the sequential turbos. I've had manuals for all my life, and I'm getting a bit tired of it, so I went with the 7spd dual clutch. It's insanely smooth shifting and as far as speed you can't beat it off the line unless your day job is driving a F1 car.

I think the 1 has the best styling of the BMW now. The squared off look is way more masculine than the sleek 3.

Definitely get rid of the run flats. I drove them about 1K miles (all they had left) and put the Hankook Ventus on. Ride is much better at half the price. Bought a Slime tire repair kit and make sure my cell phone is charged. No room for a spare. When you get new tires, make sure to warn the shop how tough the tires are to change on the reverse offset rims. My shop mangled the rims. They paid to have them fixed and repainted. But, was a huge PITA.

Enjoy,

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want a 3wagon, manual, w/out xdrive.
    I _really_ like Jerk's choice, but I need more room.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah-
    the first things to go will be the stupid run-flat tires. then i'm putting m3 suspension bushings in....then some stiffer springs and better shocks- then i'm leaving well enough alone until the lease is up-

i've gotta do some research into what type of rubber fits those wheels.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the red leather seats look really good..but i'm sticking with my plan. hell, if i could get a rear seat delete, no a/c and manual windows and no sound proofing i would.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/articles/main.htm

These guys were a pretty comprehensive source of stuff and info when I had my BMW's. I hear you on the rear seat delete; I used to want my road cars as bare and raw as possible. I've mellowed in my old age and drive a JCW MINI now. It has heated seats and all, but it's still pretty snotty when pushed. I'd drive that 128 in a proverbial heartbeat.
    Last edited by al415; 02-10-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: cos I'm pretty, not smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and it's ordered. 128i Alpine white, black leatherette, M Sport package 17" Light Alloy Double Spoke 207M wheels, Sport seats, Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, M Sport suspension, M Steering wheel, Aerodynamic kit, Shadowline exterior trim, Anthracite headliner, Increased top speed limiter, Manual Transmission.....fuck me.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and it's ordered. 128i Alpine white, black leatherette, M Sport package 17" Light Alloy Double Spoke 207M wheels, Sport seats, Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, M Sport suspension, M Steering wheel, Aerodynamic kit, Shadowline exterior trim, Anthracite headliner, Increased top speed limiter, Manual Transmission.....fuck me.
    let me know how you like --- might be tammy's next one with ti silver metallic & automatic -- ditto on the rest..

U are the man, buy ya a makers mark next in the face,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll let you know in april ronnie- that's when it's slated to arrive.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome. Let us know how your additional modifications work out.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You must be a cool dude cause I would have ordered the exact same car. With new tires and koni adjustables that will be a beast of a sports car IMO. If you know a good shop with track/autoX guys I'd see if they could re-align it to have more camber after getting the shocks in. Supposedly on these cars you can remove the alignment pin and get close to 1 deg of - camber up front which should help make the car easier to throw around. I haven't personally worked on a 1 series but I doubt it'd be too hard to take the rear seats out and make some kind of carpeted platform and just use the trunk/back for storage and bikes. There might even be enough room to fit a donut spare under the newly fabricated rear seat thing, that's what I'd try because the run flats are bullshit.

Congrats

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast