Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: No words can express

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: No words can express

Daltex. Hardly. I also consort with po white trash and blue bloods. That ^ is me putting a big warm public arm around around people who are regularly profiled just for the way they look and this is making a difference. Talking helps form strong opinions. I'm scared to death people will have no opinion and just follow their little rat brains to easy answers. If I made a point that my best friend in High School was a Gay, Black football player who converted to Judaism...well that would be shallow right?

I was raised that way, don't know any different pal. Racism confuses me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is something that confuses me.

None of the terrorists have been raised with the idea they would have to die fighting for whatever cause they pursue.

None of the mass shooters have been raised with the idea that one day they would have to kill as many people as they can.

None of the rapers have been raised with that idea.

None of the people that kill themselves have been raised with the idea they would commit suicide at one point.

None of the divorced/separated mens that decide to kill their wives and childrens would have said they would end up doing such a crazy thing when they got married.

None of the people who will one day enter road rage mode to the point of killing people see themselves as potential murderers.

[...]

None of these people are that much different to me. How can I be sure I will not one day cross that barrier ? How can I be sure my friends, colleagues or any close people won't slide into such territory and how can I detect it before it is too late ?

I have no friggin' idea and this is frightening.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    [...]

None of these people are that much different to me. How can I be sure I will not one day cross that barrier ? How can I be sure my friends, colleagues or any close people won't slide into such territory and how can I detect it before it is too late ?

Very true. And very frightening indeed. May we all find the strength to just say no if/when that impulse strikes, and be there in support to help others through their moment too...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Jim not since the Crusades has religion told their people to pick up arms and kill
    I guess it's true that it wasn't a "religion" per se, but sad to say that the Rachel Maddow Show had 2 clips of American Christian ministers outright condoning the murders and going so far as to say that we needed a "righteous government" to round up the "pedophiles" (!!!) and shoot them. I wish I were making that up. Their comments were posted on youtube but of course taken down for violating the hate speech rules. Absolutely chilling and really just hard even to fathom that this kind of hateful, murderous even, rhetoric exists. And is also protected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Community. Friends. Good council. All these have something in common. Living inside your head leads to malformed morality, poor judgement and serial custom bicycle purchases. All kidding aside, seek human connections and find ways to get off your chest with people. Works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    There is something that confuses me.

None of the terrorists have been raised with the idea they would have to die fighting for whatever cause they pursue.

None of the mass shooters have been raised with the idea that one day they would have to kill as many people as they can.

None of the rapers have been raised with that idea.

None of the people that kill themselves have been raised with the idea they would commit suicide at one point.

None of the divorced/separated mens that decide to kill their wives and childrens would have said they would end up doing such a crazy thing when they got married.

None of the people who will one day enter road rage mode to the point of killing people see themselves as potential murderers.

[...]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dumb wild west arguments what will create more hate ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StR View Post
    dumb wild west arguments what will create more hate ...

Wrong. The hate is already there. It's not even hate: it's a theology that preaches the submission and destruction of empires to salafit Islam. btw there is no separation of religion and state .. it's a theocracy and it needs to rule.
    The idea that we could solve this by being more tolerant or even that we created such thing is the culmination of western arrogance.. It makes no difference to salfi islam what you tolerate or what you love.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there will be more hate, and more dumb people from all sides joining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by StR View Post
    there will be more hate, and more dumb people from all sides joining.
    Thats what terror aims.. it needs a reaction. The challenge is to keep the course and the constitutional rights.
    Otoh.. pretending it isn't there or those attacks are just personal frustations, homophobia, bullying victims acting out.. is not realizing what is going on.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Thats what terror aims.. it needs a reaction. The challenge is to keep the course and the constitutional rights.
    Otoh.. pretending it isn't there or those attacks are just personal frustations, homophobia, bullying victims acting out.. is not realizing what is going on.
    how many decades is the US now playing imperialist force in the middle east?

anyway, Trump will "fix it" with more BAM BAM hahah

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Re terrorism: What's going on in the Middle East is the logical continuation of the destabilization and destruction that the US (and a few key allies, but mostly the US) has visited upon that part of the world since before Operation Ajax in the early 50s and which continues today. If China was doing to us what we've been doing to the ME we wouldn't be too happy about it. One hopes the US will change its course but I'm not holding my breath.

The Orlando shooting wasn't a Middle Eastern terrorist organisation generated action; it was the action of horribly screwed up and conflicted individual who had our standard easy (and moronic) access to what is functionally a military weapon that can put a lot of bullets down range in a big hurry.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Community. Friends. Good council. All these have something in common. Living inside your head leads to malformed morality, poor judgement and serial custom bicycle purchases. All kidding aside, seek human connections and find ways to get off your chest with people. Works for me.
    Book to read, "Tribes" by Sebastian Junger, will make a lot of sense to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Middle East has been a battle ground since the 16th century when Ottomans and Iranian Safavids were going at it and well before that. The Shi'ite and Sunnis have been killing each other forever.

The culture of violence & massive oppression against woman, the murderous oppression of gays, and the general lack of basic rights is a homegrown cultural tradition in this region.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And we have been doing it here on this continent since the 15th century...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    And we have been doing it here on this continent since the 15th century...
    No. Not correct. We don't jail rape victims for adultery. No jail time or death penalty for being gay here. We let woman drive cars here. The list goes on.

There is no comparison. There also should no defending these behaviors, especially by folks living in places free of such horrors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, we killed essentially all of the native NA population and enslaved another. More recently the West has been a champion of human rights, equality and tolerance in many ways while visiting or contributing to atrocities in other ways and places. I suggest we reconsider our involvement in the latter. One can be critical of some of the intrinsic cultural/religious ills of the ME while acknowledging our relatively recent and substantial contributions to the destruction of the area.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To get back to the topic at hand, it seems more likely that this was a 'lone wolf' attack by a deranged individual who may have been inspired by, but not officially attached to, any terrorist organization. Ultimately, it's very hard, if not impossible, to stop this type of event by a sleeper loner who plans the event privately in his/her head. People who want to do harm are going to find a way to do it. The gun control issue is a complicated issue with truths and lies and distortions from all sides. But raising the bar on acquisition of dangerous weapons like the one used seems very reasonable to me.

The perpetrator was confronted by an armed guard I believe and that armed guard was unable to prevent the incident, making that argument somewhat shallow. I know lots of people who own AR-15s. Most of these folks were trained on them in the military and are conscientious and responsible owners. How do we separate these folks from the dangerous ones? Not sure.