User Tag List

Page 49 of 150 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Costello View Post
    Yeah in 2016 I agree the DNC f*cked all of us, not just Sanders supporters by deciding that it was Hillary's turn from the get go. Now lets talk about the party this year and how we ended up with a likely candidate that may have trouble stringing together a full sentence by November. How about the noisy progressive minority component of the party backing a non-party candidate whose rhetoric, and that of his most vocal supporters either (1) scared off the moderates who don't agree with the ultra progressive agenda or (2) the moderates were convinced that Sanders' agenda would never carry enough independents nor have a chance in hell of moving forward through the legislature in the next 4 years. This year the ultra Ps misread the level of support for their agenda in the Party, and there was no strong moderate able to seize control of the middle, they all ran out of money so here we are.

My two cents on why we keep doing this: Democrats are, bless us, soft, inclusive, idealistic, well-intended and usually don't have a clue how to win once we get outside of our own liberal communities. I mean come on, just look at the map of which states/counties go red vs. blue. The problem with the party is the party is rarely (ever?) unified; can't put aside tribal squabbles and get behind one candidate (like it or not the Rs know the power of getting in line); is populated mostly by city and suburban voters who are out of touch with much of America and don't listen. to or consider what the silent majority may think, including moderate democrats and independents in many states; a party that hasn't delivered for the working class and has taken those voters for granted; whose wide tent is populated by those who don't look like(as we should, and shoudl be proud of), or think like many, many (majority?) of the people in many states in the US, and who the R's do a great job of demonizing as the enemy of god fearing, white Americans. Add to this a US population that is declining in education level, is living from paycheck to paycheck and is going to vote for who they perceive is going to put the most $$ in their pocket next week and a pro-business, christian-focused anti-government song and dance just sounds better than large social constructs that are easily distorted into scary sounding, your gonna take away my $$ and my individual rights tales.

It the progressive side of the party had a hint of pragmatism they could have been smart and thrown their support behind a decent but neither shrill nor cantakerous candidate, but they didn't. Consider how little of Obama's agenda he actually got through, and he was a moderate (although I'm sure that for many American's they viewed him as far left). Hell the progressives could have gotten behind Warren who might then have had a fighting chance.

Personally I'm all in on most of Bernie's ideas and the ideas of the progressive left (we sorta live that locally here in our bucolic progressive, wealthy enclave outside of Seattle (to the extent one is able to do so despite the federal government)), but I never for a millisecond have thought that the ideas being pitched by Sanders had a chance in hell of carrying the day with the swing voters in the swing states in November. And really, in November those are the only votes that make a difference.

I understand the want and need for radical change. I understand that we may well lose much of what we hold dear, much of what life depends on (environment) absent swift radical change. But we (Ds) haven't sold that need, that urgency, to enough Americans to carry the day. Personally I think that by November, if we haven't hit rock bottom given all that is happening, and we don't elect anyone but Trump, then we are truly f*cked. And yeah, my frustration is every bit as much or more with the ultra left as it is with the DNC.
    Can't argue with any of that. Newsom/AOC 2024. Though it might be for the Western United States of California at the rate we're going.....
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And meanwhile, "still our president" chooses to slam the captain of the USS Roosevelt.

"I guess the captain stopped in Vietnam and people got off in Vietnam," tRrump said. "Perhaps you don't do that in the middle of a pandemic or something that looked like it was going to be. History would say you don't necessarily stop and let your sailors get off."

The ship was in Da Nang on March 5. tRump went golfing on March 7 and March 8. Perhaps you don't go golfing in the middle of a pandemic.

The "work" he was doing at that time included trying to keep a cruise ship, with many infected US citizens aboard, from docking in the US because the numbers would go up. He was also saying that the "fake news" media and their partner, the "Democrat" party, were blowing the pandemic out of proportion.

There's a captain that needs to be relieved of duty, and his name isn't Crozier. Our ship of state has run aground.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, once again. Instead of getting behind someone who could actually win, the left ran a purity test on the viable candidates and whittled it down to the one who somehow nothing has stuck to (yet) but will inevitably crumble and fail to get out the vote and/or not shoot himself in the face on national television. Our only hope now is that he picks a VP that could win on her own, and then drops out (or is forced out) leaving no alternative but to put that candidate on the ballot. I don't know if it even works that way - it's just a hope I cling to in these times.
    I've gotta say, any chain of reasoning that starts with purity test and ends with Joe Biden, the 36-year Senator from MBNA, and two term vice-president, who has a track record as long as your arm, for better or worse, and has taken all kinds of positions that progressives disagree with, without explaining just how those purity tests resulted in Biden as frontrunning candidate? It's not exactly res ipsa loquitur if you know what I mean. Let me put it another way: Purity tests? Joe BIDEN?

Maybe the voters want someone they know and like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    Can't argue with any of that. Newsom/AOC 2024. Though it might be for the Western United States of California at the rate we're going.....
    Had the same thought this morning (and many times in my childhood, Aztlan and all that). If only the other states would let us go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Folks, hope your Saturday night is going well.

I removed the offending post that several folks reported to the moderators, if you didn't see it, lucky you.
    (and the replies in the thread that quoted it). Thanks guys, PM sent to the person who needs to be on
    better behaviour. Let's raise the bar here, rather than lower it.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What language was that anyway? word words ...more words....word words word.... word words ...words word....
    No sentences. Couldn't make much sense of it. Years ago there were many bloggers, posters that did this in their writing. No caps, no punctuation, etc. I guess they thought it was cool for a while. Like ee cummings or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    "CBS NEWS NY is reporting NY EMS has a DNR order for cardiac arrest"

NFW that is really happening? Defib. save lives. good grief.
    I have personally done CPR on a stranger on the side of a road for almost an hour. She went back to work after a while.
    CPR does indeed work sometimes.
    It is worth a try.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope the immunity stays good for a long time, unlike the lack of immunity for HIV, hepatitis B or C.
    If it does, then confirmed immune folks should be able to get a (tightly regulated) "C" tattooed on their forehead.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Like ee cummings or something.
    Except cummings seeming rambles held great power, the poem below could be dedicated to Captain Crozier. BTW I am a bit of a cummings fan, I named my eldest son after him.

XXX

i sing of Olaf glad and big
    whose warmest heart recoiled at war:
    a conscientious object-or

his wellbelovéd colonel(trig
    westpointer most succinctly bred)
    took erring Olaf soon in hand;
    but--though an host of overjoyed
    noncoms(first knocking on the head
    him)do through icy waters roll
    that helplessness which others stroke
    with brushes recently employed
    anent this muddy toiletbowl,
    while kindred intellects evoke
    allegiance per blunt instruments--
    Olaf(being to all intents
    a corpse and wanting any rag
    upon what God unto him gave)
    responds,without getting annoyed
    "I will not kiss your fucking flag"

straightway the silver bird looked grave
    (departing hurriedly to shave)

but--though all kinds of officers
    (a yearning nation's blueeyed pride)
    their passive prey did kick and curse
    until for wear their clarion
    voices and boots were much the worse,
    and egged the firstclassprivates on
    his rectum wickedly to tease
    by means of skilfully applied
    bayonets roasted hot with heat--
    Olaf(upon what were once knees)
    does almost ceaselessly repeat
    "there is some shit I will not eat"

our president,being of which
    assertions duly notified
    threw the yellowsonofabitch
    into a dungeon,where he died

Christ(of His mercy infinite)
    i pray to see;and Olaf,too

preponderatingly because
    unless statistics lie he was
    more brave than me:more blond than you.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    I hope the immunity stays good for a long time, unlike the lack of immunity for HIV, hepatitis B or C.
    If it does, then confirmed immune folks should be able to get a (tightly regulated) "C" tattooed on their forehead.
    I thought one gets immunity against Hep B once one has had it?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a visit to a cycling bud's parking lot today, I waited for him to come out of his condo to chat.
    We did share a couple bottles of beer from ten feet between.
    I noticed a flag staff with the USA and Washington State flag at full staff, and wondered why.
    I'm of the age that the flag was at half mast for an assassinated president or a world leader of civil rights.
    Yeah, I'm a boomer if you prefer that moniker.
    And of late I have to go to the tubes to find out why the flag is at half mast.
    It made me wonder....
    WTF

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I thought one gets immunity against Hep B once one has had it?
    Since there is a vaccine one should think one can get immunity. However this virus can more often than not cause chronic infection.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    I have personally done CPR on a stranger on the side of a road for almost an hour. She went back to work after a while.
    CPR does indeed work sometimes.
    It is worth a try.
    Same. You learn quickly. No training in my case. The EMT's told me I had done well. He died nonetheless a four minute ambulance ride from the hospital.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump is now prescribing Erythromycin for Corvid 19. Erythromycin is in a class of medications called macrolide antibiotics. ... Antibiotics such as erythromycin will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections. Why is the Surgeon General , FDA, Dr. .Fauci and Dr. Birx even humoring this idiot? -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Trump is now prescribing Erythromycin for Corvid 19. Erythromycin is in a class of medications called macrolide antibiotics. ... Antibiotics such as erythromycin will not work for colds, flu, or other viral infections. Why is the Surgeon General , FDA, Dr. .Fauci and Dr. Birx even humoring this idiot? -Mike G
    there are studies suggesting that Erythromycin has some anti-inflammatory effects that improve mortality rates for upper respiratory tract infections. I don't know if it's the most effective way to achieve that result but there is some legitimate rationale behind using that drug in this instance even if it isn't a direct treatment of the underlying issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the dose of ee cummings, Mark Kelly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anti inflammatory meds being hap hazardous talked about as a cure? Or to lessen the effects-

Bring the weed please! Gonna need that flower if this is true-

I mean I’m sure that his information is well sorted and factual-either way I would rather be high just to have to try and understand where this buffoon is coming from-
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Anti inflammatory meds being hap hazardous talked about as a cure? Or to lessen the effects-

Bring the weed please! Gonna need that flower if this is true-

I mean I’m sure that his information is well sorted and factual-either way I would rather be high just to have to try and understand where this buffoon is coming from-
    I think it's supposed to just be a therapy. Same deal with the malaria drug. but once it gets filtered through Trump's dementia and amphetamine addled brain + the right wing propaganda machine you have every mouth breather in the country touting it as a miracle cure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The worst president. Ever. | Max Boot | Washington Post

"Until now, I have generally been reluctant to label Donald Trump the worst president in U.S. history. As a historian, I know how important it is to allow the passage of time to gain a sense of perspective. Some presidents who seemed awful to contemporaries (Harry S. Truman) or simply lackluster (Dwight D. Eisenhower, George H.W. Bush) look much better in retrospect. Others, such as Thomas Jefferson and Woodrow Wilson, don’t look as good as they once did.

So I have written, as I did on March 12, that Trump is the worst president in modern times — not of all time. That left open the possibility that James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Franklin Pierce, Warren Harding or some other nonentity would be judged more harshly. But in the past month, we have seen enough to take away the qualifier “in modern times.” With his catastrophic mishandling of the coronavirus, Trump has established himself as the worst president in U.S. history."
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    I think it's supposed to just be a therapy. Same deal with the malaria drug. but once it gets filtered through Trump's dementia and amphetamine addled brain + the right wing propaganda machine you have every mouth breather in the country touting it as a miracle cure.
    Someone is probably making money out of this.