User Tag List

Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Help losing 20 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help losing 20 lbs

163.8 That D2R2 mac and cheese was delicious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I've got a training intensity question related to weight loss. I've been dropping the ponds (20-25 lbs over the last 3 months) by combining a fair amount of running and riding. Whereas in the past, I would have been on a fairly regimented periodization training regimen, this time I'm piling on the miles at tempo intensities. Thing is, it has been working for losing weight. I can get a three hour ride in at a steady rate and burn way more calories than I would doing 2x20 min intervals at TP. Same thing goes for running. I can get out for 10-12 miles at 8 or 9 minute pace, but pushing a six or seven minute pace would have me walking in no time.

So, here's some questions,
    1. When do folks transition from base miles intended to burn off calories to threshold or VO2 training intensities intended to tune the engine?
    2. How long does it take for a body to shift from the tempo pace that it's accustomed to to race intensity?
    3. Would shifting intensities be an effective means of combating a weight loss plateau, or would I be better off integrating weight training/power work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

180.5. again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    1. When do folks transition from base miles intended to burn off calories to threshold or VO2 training intensities intended to tune the engine?
    2. How long does it take for a body to shift from the tempo pace that it's accustomed to to race intensity?
    3. Would shifting intensities be an effective means of combating a weight loss plateau, or would I be better off integrating weight training/power work?
    I'm getting close to my goal weight of 155. I've found that, as you say, base miles are the best for burning off calories, but am now transitioning to a more structured program (1x tempo, 1x intervals, 2x endurance per week, plus lifting) as I am getting close to goal weight.

Net net, I am burning fewer calories doing this, but I have found it doesn't really matter much - the battle is on the bike, but this war is won in the kitchen. If I'm eating 1600-1850 calories per day, even with the new regimen, I'm comfortably dropping >1 lbs per week.

161.8 this am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, so I weigh 200 lbs, some days I am up a pound or two others I am down, but 200 it is.

So I am going to back off this for a bit, leave the daily reporting and the daily monitoring behind. I set out to loose 20 lbs and lost 37+. I will keep watching the thread.
    [email protected]

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

162.2 today. Was low on calories yesterday ~1500, but lifted heavy. Don't know if that impacted the weight, or just a normal fluctuation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    OK, so I weigh 200 lbs, some days I am up a pound or two others I am down, but 200 it is.

So I am going to back off this for a bit, leave the daily reporting and the daily monitoring behind. I set out to loose 20 lbs and lost 37+. I will keep watching the thread.
    dhoff - 37 pounds is great! I wanted to lose 20 and I've lost 30+, and I may back off too. Haven't decided yet. Thanks for following and for your support.

today, 182, yesterday-181.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yesterday, 181; today 178

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael,
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roy View Post
    yesterday, 181; today 178
    [email protected]

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    Michael,
    Congratulations
    Thanks. Lowest weight in years, but I seem to often have low weight on a Monday following longer weekend rides so we'll see what tomorrow brings. If I get down to 175 that's it for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

179.5. The predicted gain the day after a long ride and big drop. But still under 180!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    Okay, I've got a training intensity question related to weight loss. I've been dropping the ponds (20-25 lbs over the last 3 months) by combining a fair amount of running and riding. Whereas in the past, I would have been on a fairly regimented periodization training regimen, this time I'm piling on the miles at tempo intensities. Thing is, it has been working for losing weight. I can get a three hour ride in at a steady rate and burn way more calories than I would doing 2x20 min intervals at TP. Same thing goes for running. I can get out for 10-12 miles at 8 or 9 minute pace, but pushing a six or seven minute pace would have me walking in no time.

First, congratulations on the weight loss. You bring up some good questions, I'll give you my take on it. Weight loss has a lot less to do with training intensity and much more to do with changing eating habits and establishing a healthy, daily exercise routine. The common misconception is that base miles (or AeT / endurance rides) are for taking the weight off. The ideal scenario is to start your periodization training at your ideal weight or close to it. The purpose of base miles is to build up and establish a high aerobic threshold and prepare the rider for harder tempo and LT efforts to follow. One of the keys to successful base training is establishing the fat burning metabolism as the primary energy source during this phase. This has little to do with burning off fat or calories, but rather where your energy is coming from. I do find many riders will experience some weight loss as they move from different periodization phases, but this has more to do with the additional stress from adapting to a new training load than it does to the type of training being done.

The generic periodization plan of 12 to 16 weeks of base, 8 to 10 weeks of tempo/LT and anaerobic/power and then onto a race phase has been well established over the years. Some of the latest sports science has to do with monitoring the rest and recovery, through the use of sleep monitors, heart rate variability monitoring and other stuff, we can really fine tune the whole periodization model to each individual athlete. It's pretty interesting stuff and will likely change the entire periodization model over the next decade or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Down 17 pounds so far this year using a diet, portion control and a multi-sport approach. Despite lacking a lot of cycling miles this year, I'm trying to convince myself to do the weekly CX series here as another opportunity to shed lbs looking towards next year. I hate being the slow guy on the course though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)