User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 47 of 112 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Not much but essentials.
    MASSLIVE Coronavirus shutdowns: What’s open, what’s closed in Massachusetts?

Learn about businesses and organizations defined as providing "COVID-19 Essential Services" under Governor Baker's March 23, 2020 Emergency Order

Unlike some other areas, NY, NJ, CT, MA have cancelled all elective and non-urgent doctor and dentist appointments.

Public transportation is on a very reduced schedule.

My wife's 5-12 school is located near a few Boston hospitals and they have "donated" their parking lot to medical professionals who need to commute by car (and would normally commute by public transportation).

I still don't understand why people don't get it. Even if your state/city/local-area is not yet affected, it will be soon enough and the severity will depend on what we all do to social distance and help contain the spread. And the stocking up on food is beyond me. We are not in a famine state and the pipeline is full of food. Same for TP; does a household really need a 6 month supply?
    We laid in some supplies back near the end of February (half of my household is a public health professional), the idea being that we would be able to feed ourselves without venturing to a store if we get COVID-19. Not hoarding, but we immediately began referring to it as our Prepper Stash.

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    When all of this is said and done, it will be interesting to see how virus spread correlated to things like population density, use of public transit, weather, and especially sociological factors like attitude towards government and work ethic. I have a hunch there is some correlation to the head-down work ethic of the northeast that makes it more susceptible to this. Just anecdotally, almost everyone I know in the northeast was dragging their ass into work right up until a day or two ago; my partner and I in the bay area have been working at home for 2-3 weeks already.
    A day or two ago? Boston began to shut down a week ago, angling sharply down by Wednesday the 18th.

And as an employee of an org providing essential services (in my case, shelter to the needy) I'm still working downtown twice a week. Downtown Boston is empty. Spooky almost.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    Question to our locked down brothers on other continents or even N.Y. for that matter, how does this list of permitted “openings” from central Texas compare to yours?

Coronavirus in Austin, Texas: Shelter-in-place | What's open? | kvue.com
    As said above...what is not closed in Texas?

As others have said...things like auto dealers are NOT essential and and only open as I understand it if they have a service department doing auto repair and that oddly includes auto body shops. The theory was if a nurse needs their car repaired to get to the hospital they can get it repaired. But what I don't get is the auto body part in NY. If your car doesn't work because it is so smashed up it is more than an afternoon fix and you're going to be having to take something else to get to work.

In Quebec, vets and dentists are also closed except for emergency stuff.

I don't get this Texas list. Either you shut stuff down and prevent the spread or you don't. But I am not an expert in these matters.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    And as an employee of an org providing essential services (in my case, shelter to the needy) I'm still working downtown twice a week. Downtown Boston is empty. Spooky almost.
    I work for an "essential service" too. Despite our essential designation, we still moved 70% of our staff (1,100+ people) to a work-from-home status. This allows those whose roles require them to stay in our buildings to have much more space between employees and lower their exposure risk. As our CEO said, staying home lowers the risk for those who can't. We aren't allowed to enter our facilities without manager approval AND completion of a health questionnaire. I dropped by the office Monday to get a DVI-to-HDMI cable and it was very strange to see nearly no people.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Whoa! So what happened after?
    Did you depart without the food?
    It was delicious. And the last time I'll be back there.
    Honestly, this seems to be the "food service culture" in parts of NY. Some people don't understand that gloves are a vector if you dont change them. We struggle with this in hospitals, too, but to a lesser extent. I'd much rather that food service people wear NO gloves and wash their hands than to wear the same pair all day long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This article really got me. The guy is 56, a cyclist and has adult asthma. I realized after reading the article I was pretty much in some level of denial about all three. Forgot I'll be 56 in May, haven't ridden since Feb. and before that Nov 28 (a cyclist? really?) and I was just figuring out a pharmacy transfer for renewing my inhalers.

There but for the grace of God...

What I Learned When My Husband Got Sick With Coronavirus - The New York Times
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    I work for an "essential service" too. Despite our essential designation, we still moved 70% of our staff (1,100+ people) to a work-from-home status. This allows those whose roles require them to stay in our buildings to have much more space between employees and lower their exposure risk. As our CEO said, staying home lowers the risk for those who can't. We aren't allowed to enter our facilities without manager approval AND completion of a health questionnaire. I dropped by the office Monday to get a DVI-to-HDMI cable and it was very strange to see nearly no people.

Greg
    I'm the guy in charge of making work-from-home happen. Oh irony.

(OTOH, two weeks ago I was listening to a room full of department heads explain what they'd need to get their staffs working remotely. All I could say then was, "On paper this will work. We won't know until we actually stress our infrastructure." Today I'm supporting hundreds of remote staff. But with every victory comes the next layer of requests.)
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    My mom and grandma, both accomplished at sewing, are making PPE like banshees.
    That's awesome. I thought this was nice to see:

Flowfold Shifts to Making Protective Face Shields During COVID-19
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I'm the guy in charge of making work-from-home happen. Oh irony.

(OTOH, two weeks ago I was listening to a room full of department heads explain what they'd need to get their staffs working remotely. All I could say then was, "On paper this will work. We won't know until we actually stress our infrastructure." Today I'm supporting hundreds of remote staff. But with every victory comes the next layer of requests.)
    I'm sure your employer is very grateful for your support right now. The IT team members at my company have been the unsung heroes of WFH. I have been very pleasantly surprised at how well things have gone. Our software engineers rolled out some "homegrown" solutions that greatly reduced necessary VPN bandwidth. Everyone has been pulling together to keep our virtual offices operating efficiently.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nic., here is a link to my County closures/modifications etc. too long to list here.
    COVID-19 Closures

it seems liquor stores are open across the universe. Well, that's something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    That's awesome. I thought this was nice to see:

Flowfold Shifts to Making Protective Face Shields During COVID-19
    I'll happily spend what stimulus I don't dump into an index fund with companies that make moves like this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll happily spend what stimulus I don't dump into an index fund with companies that make moves like this.
    Same here. I use their wallets and have a day pack and a couple accessories from them. I was already a fan and I am even more so now. If anyone knows of other companies doing things like this to shift their production to support the COVID19 response, we could start a thread so we know who where to scratch our lockdown shopping itch.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mom and grandma, both accomplished at sewing, are making PPE like banshees.
    Out of what? My wife is going bananas seeing people on the socials posting the face mask they just made out of an old t-shirt.

The sweet new P100 canister and mask adapter that I ordered in January finally came. I think I have some old CBRN cans too.

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Powertech 70005 dust collector bag. A perfect 3 micron. $18 on Amazon. Probably get 25 masks out of one.

Though I have no idea the density and if it’s high enough to support the flow a human needs to breath comfortably. ~2psi but at what CFM??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    This article really got me. The guy is 56, a cyclist and has adult asthma. I realized after reading the article I was pretty much in some level of denial about all three. Forgot I'll be 56 in May, haven't ridden since Feb. and before that Nov 28 (a cyclist? really?) and I was just figuring out a pharmacy transfer for renewing my inhalers.

There but for the grace of God...

What I Learned When My Husband Got Sick With Coronavirus - The New York Times
    OMFG.

Whatever my wife had wasn't this bad. I can't get my kids to take this seriously so have moved into another house so I can live separately in the hope that I will stay healthy to take care of whoever gets sick. If it's this bad, all bets are off.

A friend sent me Goldman's prognostications about the future, entitled " Light at the End of the Tunnel." That light is a freight train coming our way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Same here. I use their wallets and have a day pack and a couple accessories from them. I was already a fan and I am even more so now. If anyone knows of other companies doing things like this to shift their production to support the COVID19 response, we could start a thread so we know who where to scratch our lockdown shopping itch.
    Sure. My neighbor is partners of a new Whiskey distillery in Va. They are switching production to 1000 gallons / month of hand sanitizer. He's looking for buyers....PM me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I'm not very smart i find explanations that do all the hard work for you very nice. Obviously there's a bit of an Australian focus, but still...

Coronavirus data shows which countries have it under control. What did they do right? - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet the biggest determining factors of the infection rates will be the global mobility of the population (resident and visitor) and the use frequency of airplanes.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-25-2020 at 10:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet the biggest determining factors of the infection rates will be the global mobility of the population (resident and visitor) and the use frequency of airplanes.
    I'll give you ten to one on that. IMO the biggest determinant will be how effectively community spread is contained.

There's an interesting passage in the WHO report on Wuhan that praises the Chinese response and notes that this is partially due to cultural factors such as willingness to share. The US mythology of rugged individualism may prove to be deadly in the absence of superheroes.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, Singapore is extremely connected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Mark on that. Global mobility might explain how quickly it initially turns up, but once it's in the country it could care less if you summer in Tuscany, or go to Davos.
    Colin Mclelland