Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 45 of 150 FirstFirst ... 353637383940414243444546474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Opinion | The Covid-19 Slump Has Arrived - The New York Times

"Journalists keep referring to the CARES Act as a “stimulus package,” but mainly it’s disaster relief. The best piece of the legislation — which, by the way, Democrats forced unwilling Republicans to include — is a major enhancement of unemployment benefits. Not only will laid-off workers get much more than they normally would, but many workers who weren’t previously covered by unemployment insurance, such as freelancers and independent contractors, are supposed to receive full benefits.

The legislation also provides loans to small businesses — loans that will be forgiven, that is, turned into straight subsidies, if businesses use the money to maintain their payrolls.

Both of these programs are very good ideas. The trouble is that both are having a hard time getting started — and time is one thing millions of distressed Americans, many of whom were already living on the edge, don’t have."
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps he should change his name to Jared Dunning Kruger.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The question that matters for the election is where will the competitive districts fall. When you look at 538 Gerrymandering site, most districts are safe. Either solidly democrat or solidly republican. So while the national election seems like a macro event, it is really decided by micro (local) shenanigans.

You had Floridians overwhelming voting to return the right to vote to former felons, but the Republican controlled legislature found a loophole about only after they have paid back all their outstanding legal bills. For those that realize how criminal justice works in some states, it is really about loading costs on felons. In Florida alone, you are talking about 1.4mm adults not allowed to vote.

You had Georgia closing polling stations in select areas. This is not the only state to do this.

I think democrats are falling into a trap regarding mail-in votes.

Whether the conversation is Biden or Bernie, (although at this point I want a Jay Inslee/Andrew Cuomo Ticket), I think the real issue is highlighted above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or just rename it the Kushner Effect...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Secret Service signs contract this week to rent golf carts in town of Trump club | Washington Post

"The Secret Service this week signed a $45,000 contract to rent a fleet of golf carts in Northern Virginia, saying it needed them quickly to protect a “dignitary” in the town of Sterling, home to one of President Trump’s golf clubs, according to federal contracting data.

The contract was signed Monday and took effect Wednesday, records show. The Secret Service paid a West Virginia-registered company, Capitol Golf Cars and Utility Vehicles, to rent 30 carts until the end of September.

The new contract, which the Secret Service described as an “emergency order,” does not mention Trump or the golf club by name. But it closely mirrors past contracts signed by the Secret Service, for agents accompanying Trump to his golf clubs in New Jersey and Florida."
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Birther Clown's favorite princess(lap dance) and senior advisor to the resident is keeping busy.

Ivanka Trump has revealed that she is rereading The Odyssey and learning to play guitar in her free time while describing her self-quarantine experience as similar to "pretty much every parent around the country" amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardly surprising but appalling nonetheless. I wonder if we are our worst enemy.

US hijacking mask shipments in rush for coronavirus protection | World news | The Guardian
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The southern red hatters look to be in trouble.

The Coronavirus’s Unique Threat to the South - The Atlantic

But the evilgelicals are keeping some of the mega churches open. No masks necessary. Let us spray.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Let us spray.
    Brill.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    The legislation also provides loans to small businesses — loans that will be forgiven, that is, turned into straight subsidies, if businesses use the money to maintain their payrolls.

Both of these programs are very good ideas. The trouble is that both are having a hard time getting started — and time is one thing millions of distressed Americans, many of whom were already living on the edge, don’t have."
    My wife and her family run a small business with a handful of employees so we've been consumed with trying to get details on payroll protection loans. Not just clarity on the fine print of the programs (the big points are clear), but also on how to start the process, who is providing the loans, etc. We're getting close, but meanwhile her business has been closed for weeks with no money coming in and staff awaiting details of their fate. The program sounds great, but the rollout has been, not unsurprisingly, a cluster. Time is of the essence.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I am sure the flustercuss in the White House isn't helping, to some extent that's the nature of the beast.

I am supposedly eligible for a distressed business grant as part of the recovery program put in place for Australia's bushfires (remember those?).

It's been months, I haven't seen a cent and don't expect to for several months more.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    My wife and her family run a small business with a handful of employees so we've been consumed with trying to get details on payroll protection loans. Not just clarity on the fine print of the programs (the big points are clear), but also on how to start the process, who is providing the loans, etc. We're getting close, but meanwhile her business has been closed for weeks with no money coming in and staff awaiting details of their fate. The program sounds great, but the rollout has been, not unsurprisingly, a cluster. Time is of the essence.
    As someone who works at a place trying to get these loans out the door, I'll be charitable and say there's been lots of confusion about process from both departments responsible for this.

It's a mess and I'm afraid the money won't be getting out in time to people who need it most.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in the 11th hour of settling my aunt's estate. All the employees of the bank have had to move into home offices- no small feat. Additionally they have to maintain security protocols. This has taken weeks. The account executive I am working with has a 10 year old daughter at home. Her assistant's husband recently died.

This just to say it is a mess all around. People are doing their best.

That being said, this administration is a circular firing squad of competing egos and outstanding incompetence. I applied to work with an aid organization and was required to take these FEMA courses. It's simple if you follow the proscribed method.

FEMA - Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Course | IS-1.C: Introduction to the Incident Command System, ICS 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    As someone who works at a place trying to get these loans out the door, I'll be charitable and say there's been lots of confusion about process from both departments responsible for this.

It's a mess and I'm afraid the money won't be getting out in time to people who need it most.
    [x] Dislike

(I get that lenders are trying...it sucks for all involved.)
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Hardly surprising but appalling nonetheless. I wonder if we are our worst enemy.

US hijacking mask shipments in rush for coronavirus protection | World news | The Guardian
    yeah big news here

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting article in Foreign Affairs:

The U.S. Economy Is Uniquely Vulnerable to the Coronavirus: Why America’s Growth Model Suggests It Has Few Good Options

The U.S. Economy Is Uniquely Vulnerable to the Coronavirus

You can register for one free article per month if you don't have a subscription.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post

Our Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, back in circulation after recovering from Covid 19 himself said on TV last night that this is like a World War but a World War where we are all on the same side. I hope he is correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    yeah big news here
    I bet it is.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    this is like a World War but a World War where we are all on the same side.
    That makes no sense, which doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
    Chikashi Miyamoto