User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 40 of 112 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    NY state now moving to a shelter-in-place type of restriction by Sunday. Grocery stores will get destroyed this weekend, even though the restriction clearly allows for grocery shopping.

The governor said he didn't like the phrase "shelter in place" because it was used for mass shootings alerts. So this regulation is called "NYS on Pause".

Still going to destroy the grocery stores, but slightly more slowly perhaps.
    Friends who are stocking up for Armageddon are justifying the action by saying its supplies they will use, they are just front loading purchases in case of supply chain problems. There really is no convincing them otherwise. If I wanted to do this, in my basement, we could stock food for a year+. For my friends in NYC or apartments, they are stock piling in their living room. WTF.

All of these declarations about taking action in xyz days, I suppose they are backed by good intentions but it seems world wide its proving to be a cluster fcuk. If you are going to implement a quarantine, shelter-in-place, on-pause, whatever-the-name … please do it effective immediately at time of announcement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    … please do it effective immediately at time of announcement.
    There is nothing preventing someone from quarantining themselves immediately.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friends who are stocking up for Armageddon are justifying the action by saying its supplies they will use, they are just front loading purchases in case of supply chain problems. There really is no convincing them otherwise. If I wanted to do this, in my basement, we could stock food for a year+. For my friends in NYC or apartments, they are stock piling in their living room. WTF.

All of these declarations about taking action in xyz days, I suppose they are backed by good intentions but it seems world wide its proving to be a cluster fcuk. If you are going to implement a quarantine, shelter-in-place, on-pause, whatever-the-name … please do it effective immediately at time of announcement.
    So frustrating. And such a great example of the selfishness of most people. Rather than being reasonable and allowing the supply chain to do it's thing, people are overbuying, in some cases produce that will go bad, and depriving others in need of basics. And the lack of availability just makes the next round of buyers more likely to do the same. I find it disgusting.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So sad the NY is doing the same thing France did. Give a long notice. People will flee the city and infect even more people. No nationwide lock down is just as stupid as Macron's letting people vote on Sunday. These people do not learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    And the lack of availability just makes the next round of buyers more likely to do the same.
    Thank you.

Its one thing to pick up a few extra items, its another to deplete a shelf or pallet. At Costco, I saw someone with more water than could fit in their Honda Accord. Come on. Buy a few bottles and let someone else have a few as well. If you feel the need to stock up hard core, do it over a few weeks or months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the state governors meeting, there were claims that holders of needed medical supplies are price gouging and states cannot afford them. I wonder if these holders (meaning distributors, buyers, makers, etc. with inventory) are pushing the higher prices because they expect inevitably the Feds will mandate sale to states at negotiated prices and then subsidize holders “losses” against the higher price rather than a lower original market price.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-20-2020 at 02:20 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    So sad the NY is doing the same thing France did. Give a long notice. People will flee the city and infect even more people. No nationwide lock down is just as stupid as Macron's letting people vote on Sunday. These people do not learn.
    People are fleeing NYC and the wealthy are heading for their homes in the Hamptons, bringing the virus with them and emptying the shelves in the local stores.

I would normally use the Post to wrap fish but this caught my eye:

Coronavirus leads to class warfare in Hamptons

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

TAt Costco, I saw someone with more water than could fit in their Honda Accord. Come on. Buy a few bottles and let someone else have a few as well.
    If you're worried abut your water supply being interrupted, fill bottles while it's still working. The bottled water thing escapes me.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by takashi View Post
    People are fleeing NYC and the wealthy are heading for their homes in the Hamptons, bringing the virus with them and emptying the shelves in the local stores.

I would normally use the Post to wrap fish but this caught my eye:

Coronavirus leads to class warfare in Hamptons
    I've lived in the Hamptons. It is always class warfare out there.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    If you're worried abut your water supply being interrupted, fill bottles while it's still working. The bottled water thing escapes me.

i'm not worried about water. was just using it as an example. could have been pasta or rice or ... sorry if that was confusing. what i meant was buy a few boxes of pasta and let other people have a few as well. if you want extra pasta a few boxes is fine but maybe don't clear off a shelf. i don't feel a need to stock pile pasta, but if you do, please do it over a few weeks or months Vs one moonshot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I've lived in the Hamptons. It is always class warfare out there.
    Brutal. The coronavirus/affluenza double whammy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you.

Its one thing to pick up a few extra items, its another to deplete a shelf or pallet. At Costco, I saw someone with more water than could fit in their Honda Accord. Come on. Buy a few bottles and let someone else have a few as well. If you feel the need to stock up hard core, do it over a few weeks or months.
    Basically all the stores in Vancouver in Toronto i've seen have had limits like 2 per person of almost every item for about a week now.
    This appeared to be in response to a couple from North Van who were selling lysol wipes for $100 a bottle and sold a thousand of them
    on amazon, and were seen loading the back of a pick up truck at the downtown Vancouver Costco friday last week, and were bragging
    about how smart they were to a reporter who saw them and asked what they were doing. It didn't appear these folks had considered
    what they were doing was completely despicable. You really have to wonder about some people.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i'm not worried about water. was just using it as an example. could have been pasta or rice or ... sorry if that was confusing. what i meant was buy a few boxes of pasta and let other people have a few as well. if you want extra pasta a few boxes is fine but maybe don't clear off a shelf. i don't feel a need to stock pile pasta, but if you do, please do it over a few weeks or months Vs one moonshot.
    1-4. Sorry for using the global "you". The smartest way to stock up on water is to open the tap and fill a bottle. But like you allude to, the shelf strippers are not the sharpest marbles in the bag.

I'm working with three different municipal water systems right now, and navigating the various procedures they're implementing to ensure things stay up and running. Along with their business as usual.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someday, this will be over. And RIGHT NOW you have the choice - and the chance- to be remembered as the f'king hero you always wanted to be. You will:

- be the one who gave your neighbor some TP. No questions asked.
    - make food deliveries for the elderly. Through formal programs or on your own accord.
    - give those old jigsaw puzzles to that family up the street with out-of-school kiddos.
    - foster that doggo from the shelter that is shutting down for now.

Do it. Go forth and be a hero. Now is the time to prove your mettle, your bravery, your character. Do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Someday, this will be over. And RIGHT NOW you have the choice - and the chance- to be remembered as the f'king hero you always wanted to be. You will:

- be the one who gave your neighbor some TP. No questions asked.
    - make food deliveries for the elderly. Through formal programs or on your own accord.
    - give those old jigsaw puzzles to that family up the street with out-of-school kiddos.
    - foster that doggo from the shelter that is shutting down for now.

Do it. Go forth and be a hero. Now is the time to prove your mettle, your bravery, your character. Do it.
    I'd add "Don't spread misinformation or ignorance online" to that most empathetic list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with all of this. I try to tell my children, help others, and one day when you are in need they might help you. it is not why we do it but it it helps the world go round.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    1-4. Sorry for using the global "you". The smartest way to stock up on water is to open the tap and fill a bottle. But like you allude to, the shelf strippers are not the sharpest marbles in the bag.

I'm working with three different municipal water systems right now, and navigating the various procedures they're implementing to ensure things stay up and running. Along with their business as usual.
    The bathtub is a very underused tool these days. If you're worried - fill it. If water systems do fail are people going to flush with bottled water? Probably.