User Tag List

Page 40 of 68 FirstFirst ... 303132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Help losing 20 lbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help losing 20 lbs

This is my first posting to this thread. I'll try the Tom Officer method of posting my daily weight to try to shame myself into actually
    losing weight. I now weigh 213.5 lbs. I am 6 feet tall. I'd like to get down to 190 or low 190s. Let's say 193 since this thread is about losing 20 pounds. I know from past experience that I can maintain 195 without much problem, at least until the winter when I tend to ride less, eat more (sigh) and put on the pounds.

I am not a competitive cyclist. I am 54. I commute to work by bike, 24 miles round trip, daily year-round, and do weekend rides of anywhere from 30 to 70-80 miles (not including the annual century or two), except in the winter when I slack off. Last winter's slack off (combined with illnesses that kept me off the
    bike for weeks) made me gain maybe 15 pounds or more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michael - welcome and good luck. Riding that much, if you shop for food with iron discipline (keep junk out of the house), and eat less, you will kill it. When I started playing (before thread) I weighed 195, wore 16.5/34 shirts and 36 inch pants. Now I'm 165, 15.5/34 extra slim shirts and 32 inch pants.

Alas, I'm still pretty slow on the bike! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Michael - welcome and good luck. Riding that much, if you shop for food with iron discipline (keep junk out of the house), and eat less, you will kill it. When I started playing (before thread) I weighed 195, wore 16.5/34 shirts and 36 inch pants. Now I'm 165, 15.5/34 extra slim shirts and 32 inch pants.

Alas, I'm still pretty slow on the bike! :)
    Thanks for your comments. The keeping junk food out of the house is not possible given that the kids like to gorge on all sorts of stuff, so I just need the discipline. So, I can buy ice cream but cannot eat it. Same with cheese, chips, etc. I hope for some quick results that'll keep me on the straight and narrow and keep me doing this. When I saw this thread yesterday i said, it's time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roy View Post
    The keeping junk food out of the house is not possible given that the kids like to gorge on all sorts of stuff
    They are going to be posting in threads like this one at some point then :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike, great to see you here! You're selling yourself short about not being a racer. For the rest of you, Mike was a teammate of mine on the Dartmouth cycling team. Those guys were instrumental in getting me back into the sport after my European adventure. I had figured I was done with it and would never race again, but they reminded me how much riding and racing with your buddies is.

Stick with it Mike and the weight will come off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Officer View Post
    Mike, great to see you here! You're selling yourself short about not being a racer. For the rest of you, Mike was a teammate of mine on the Dartmouth cycling team. Those guys were instrumental in getting me back into the sport after my European adventure. I had figured I was done with it and would never race again, but they reminded me how much riding and racing with your buddies is.

Stick with it Mike and the weight will come off.
    Tom - Thanks for being gracious. You contributed more to my cycling career than me to yours, for sure. Not many cat 3/4 cyclists get to train with someone of your caliber. I have happy memories of the pain you inflicted on me and other Dartmouth cyclists during my four years there. I haven't raced since graduation though I have kept cycling. I don't miss doing the interval training you got me started on.

Weight yesterday morning: 213.5. This morning: 210.0. (Can't explain it - took it twice to be sure).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight this morning: 211.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i use this scale like a yahoo.

HDCS 15050 ~ Digital Shipping and Counting Scale

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AntLockyer View Post
    They are going to be posting in threads like this one at some point then :)
    Heh heh. Maybe. Two of my boys are thin, but one is a bit heavy. He'll no doubt blame me for being overweight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight this morning: 210.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight this AM 203. This is down from 237 when this thread started. I am amazed that it is still going. I have had to deal with some physiological issues along the way. As much as people post, "increase exercise, decrease calories", sometimes it doesn't work that way. I have had to deal with Hypo-Thyroid issues, intestinal parasites, and more along the way and I have done it, so far 100% herbal and organic. Sometimes less food is not the issue. This week, I am living on green juices, protein drink and a cabbage soup I made, formulated to stimulate fat burning. This does not include ride food which is also 100% organic. I am learning a ton.
    [email protected]

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    Weight this AM 203. This is down from 237 when this thread started. I am amazed that it is still going. I have had to deal with some physiological issues along the way. As much as people post, "increase exercise, decrease calories", sometimes it doesn't work that way. I have had to deal with Hypo-Thyroid issues, intestinal parasites, and more along the way and I have done it, so far 100% herbal and organic. Sometimes less food is not the issue. This week, I am living on green juices, protein drink and a cabbage soup I made, formulated to stimulate fat burning. This does not include ride food which is also 100% organic. I am learning a ton.
    Huzzah Mr. DHoff :)

Guys, this thread just went WiKi. Tom, you are in charge. This info. is too good to lose in the soup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Huzzah Mr. DHoff :)

Guys, this thread just went WiKi. Tom, you are in charge. This info. is too good to lose in the soup.
    Does Berlitz offer a language course in v-salon speak? Is this good or bad? I guess I gotta do more rides with you guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Officer View Post
    Does Berlitz offer a language course in v-salon speak? Is this good or bad? I guess I gotta do more rides with you guys.
    Doing more rides might just confuse matters. At Ballers, Too Tall called me a 'mensch'. I had to look it up. [Thanks, Josh!]

Back on topic, I dropped from 199 last August down to about 183 a few weeks ago. After suffering at Ballers and after finding out Ryder won the Giro weighing in at something like 165 (he's six friggin' two), I've decided to drop another 10lbs before 'cross season.

This morning's weight: 185.4.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMerckx View Post
    Doing more rides might just confuse matters. At Ballers, Too Tall called me a 'mensch'. I had to look it up. [Thanks, Josh!]

Back on topic, I dropped from 199 last August down to about 183 a few weeks ago. After suffering at Ballers and after finding out Ryder won the Giro weighing in at something like 165 (he's six friggin' two), I've decided to drop another 10lbs before 'cross season.

This morning's weight: 185.4.
    I'm all for it...racing CX that is and at a lower weight. I'm not overweight but that's not the point. I've knocked 10 lbs off since January and will be very happy if I can stay below 200 when racing starts.

Tom, "WiKi" is a sub-forum where we store threads that are preserved in one tidy compact place. This is where this thread was move to: VSalon Wiki

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I'm all for it...racing CX that is and at a lower weight. I'm not overweight but that's not the point. I've knocked 10 lbs off since January and will be very happy if I can stay below 200 when racing starts.

Tom, "WiKi" is a sub-forum where we store threads that are preserved in one tidy compact place. This is where this thread was move to: VSalon Wiki
    I'll tell you what, the big cross theme here has got me thinking maybe I should do some this fall. Told ATMO himself he needed some competition. Now I gotta think about a bike (shouldn't have the Sachs!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hit a wall at 168 so I started counting calories. myfitnesspal.com is a good iphone app for it and can help you estimate your needed intake (or lack thereof) to get to your goal.

I've tried to write down everything I ate before, but it never stuck. This makes it easier.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight this morning: 208.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)