User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: US Womans Soccer 4th World Cup

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: US Womans Soccer 4th World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    Yes. But she could have answered in other ways...."We have to win first", "Who knows if we'll be invited?", etc.
    We don't know how she nuanced it. What we do know is how the sentiment became an internet meme. Thais what has aggravated so many, much more than the actual Q/A moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What made the moment memorable is not what she said, but how she said it. It was as though they'd asked her to share a bowl of goulash with Stalin.

That's why I enjoyed it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djg714 View Post
    Some people have a problem with confident , assertive women.
    And some people are trying to have a discussion without resorting to disparaging others.

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    We don't know how she nuanced it. What we do know is how the sentiment became an internet meme. Thais what has aggravated so many, much more than the actual Q/A moment.
    'I'm not going to the f***ing White House': Megan Rapinoe | Reuters.com
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a tough sell for me. I'm going to assume the clip is raw and we're missing whatever precedes the start of audio. And, it's an odd question to ask to begin with. But the reporter got the rise he was looking for. That rise is the story here, not the full on reply M.R. gave once the clip advances. Sadly we live in a dumbed down world where soundbites count as news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    while i care about the politics and all the nonsense, its not what gets me with this team, they are just humans, mostly 20 something humans, kids really

id just want to see beautiful football, and they didnt play beautiful, they played efficient. too many penalty goals, not enough team goals. i have a problem with the ugly way they play, i find it offensive a professional coach can take that level of talent and make them so boring as a whole. its just philosophy, winning is cool, but winning in style and beautifully like the French men did, now thats what the World Cup is about.
    I agree. All I want to see is a beautiful game. I don't really care who wins, at least not often. I wanted Croatia, for instance. But I was underwhelmed by the final. Meh.

And that's all I cared about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I agree. All I want to see is a beautiful game. I don't really care who wins, at least not often. I wanted Croatia, for instance. But I was underwhelmed by the final. Meh.

And that's all I cared about.
    I've followed soccer for a long time and have heard the words beautiful game associated with it often.
    What made the finals not a beautiful game?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I've followed soccer for a long time and have heard the words beautiful game associated with it often.
    What made the finals not a beautiful game?
    I haven't seen the game in question but I think people like it when there are lots of attempts at sending the ball in the goal. In soccer finals are often played with a more conservative, all defense approach. It is not the most visually appealing and fan friendly tactic.

It's a bit like in cycling. There is often a lot more racers willing to do crazy things like long range attacks on minor races while everybody will try to save is energy and wait for the last moment in a world championship which makes for a pretty boring race (save for the last 2 laps) if you watch it from km 0.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 07-22-2019 at 06:26 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I haven't seen the game in question but I think people like it when there are lots of attempts at sending the ball in the goal. In soccer finals are often played with a more conservative, all defense approach. It is not the most visually appealing and fan friendly tactic.

It's a bit like in cycling. There is often a lot more racers willing to do crazy things like long range attacks on minor races while everybody will try to save is energy and wait for the last moment in a world championship which makes for a pretty boring race (save for the last 2 laps) if you watch it from km 0.

makes sense

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The game was complicated by a contractual dispute that kept the screen dark for the first seventeen minutes where I went to watch. So that colored my viewing hugely.

Once the penalty was given the game was over, which was disappointing. The Dutch goalie was fantastic, and after that the squad was demoralized- it takes two to tango, and my head wasn't in it after the first goal.

Soccer is the only sport I can watch with complete absorption, riveted by the flow of play, the improvisation and communication.

I don't think that answers your question, but it's all I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a part of the game but it is hard for me when a game of that importance turns on a penalty. Goals from penalties were a big part of how the USWNT scored during the tournament and that does impact how "the game" might be viewed. You can say the same about Ronaldo though when it comes to turning matches scored by penalties. And though I loved seeing Liverpool win, the men's Champions League final was in many ways ruined immediately by an early penalty.

All that said I don't find the football played by the USWNT or the USMNT attractive, nor most of what is played in MLS. The leagues around the world vary in style and physicality but compared to the game here lack, I guess I'd say a technical aspect that I prefer to see at that level. I'm not specifically opposed to direct play there can be a certain style to playing that way, same for aggressive or more physical styles. The USMNT though plays a less appealing "hoof it and hope" style a lot though that I can live without.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
    It's a part of the game but it is hard for me when a game of that importance turns on a penalty. Goals from penalties were a big part of how the USWNT scored during the tournament and that does impact how "the game" might be viewed. You can say the same about Ronaldo though when it comes to turning matches scored by penalties. And though I loved seeing Liverpool win, the men's Champions League final was in many ways ruined immediately by an early penalty.

All that said I don't find the football played by the USWNT or the USMNT attractive, nor most of what is played in MLS. The leagues around the world vary in style and physicality but compared to the game here lack, I guess I'd say a technical aspect that I prefer to see at that level. I'm not specifically opposed to direct play there can be a certain style to playing that way, same for aggressive or more physical styles. The USMNT though plays a less appealing "hoof it and hope" style a lot though that I can live without.
    we simply dont understand the game well here compared to France or Spain or Italy or Holland and this is the initial point i was making. the womens team wins mainly because they have better athletes with more experience, not because their tactics are superior or they play a better brand of football. Its philosophy. The sport is very nuanced, and meant to be beautiful. its even called the "beautiful game" at times. Its not meant to be played like american football, or basketball, or baseball. It flows, it evolves, its never the same, its individual, its a team effort, its everything, and this is why its the most popular sport in the world, no matter how well Americans do or dont understand it, winning, beauty, flow, all of it.

and yes, i can write a better sentence if im writing, but this is talking, not writing, no matter how it appears.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How much of how the team plays is dictated by their opponents?

If teams are giving up penalties, does that mean they are struggling and playing at or above their limit? If teams toned it down to reduce penalties, would they not get scored on anyway? If these statements are true, the outcome is the same whether it’s an open field goal or penalty. In some way, is it not the team that is struggling that dictates how it goes down? Play all out aggressively and hope for the best knowing you might give up a bunch of penalties or tone it down to avoid penalties and get beautifully scored on.
    Last edited by gt6267a; 07-23-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: word choices needed help

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234