Thread: would you buy a VW?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: would you buy a VW?

Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr View Post

So, long story short: local VW place not willing to "really" deal to move the GTIs - yet. And they said they are not terribly concerned about the "scandal". Interesting. B
    Behind the scenes and out of the way of all the public contrition from the executives, the dealers are probably thinking, "Give it six months. The ones that care, they'll be back. The ones that don't care gave it a week."

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRZ View Post
    Behind the scenes and out of the way of all the public contrition from the executives, the dealers are probably thinking, "Give it six months. The ones that care, they'll be back. The ones that don't care gave it a week."
    They'll still have those 2015's on the lot though. I'm interested to hear what's going to happen to those when they're back for sale. I'm not in the market for anything, but I'll hop on board if I can get a smokin deal.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

Quote Originally Posted by MDEnvEngr View Post

So, long story short: local VW place not willing to "really" deal to move the GTIs - yet. And they said they are not terribly concerned about the "scandal". Interesting. B
    Sample size meaningless..............but in the last two weeks I saw 5 GTI's in Rockville, MD with 30 day temp tags.

Note, I would only remember this because......well, you know, this fascinating scandal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the thing that works well for the current GTI is it is the first golf that's practically the same here as it is in Europe. MBQ platform is great too!
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I just drove a Autobahn GTI with the Performance package. I think that is going to be my next car.......
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I would not. VW is simply not what I think about when German car comes to mind. I tend to associate BMW with good German engineering followed by Mercedes. Probably would get a Subaru before considering VW.

Hope I'm not dating myself when I recall the overheated VW Bugs during every traffic jam, a testament to their air cooled engines.

-Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id buy a mkI scirocco to drop a gnarly 16v into...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    id buy a mkI scirocco to drop a gnarly 16v into...
    Make it an '81 S Model in Cirrus Grey.
    killing idols one at a time

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. I had an A-4 1.8 turbo (VW used same motor) that blew timing belt, that blew motor. Audi/VW sucked at covering it, even thought they were in a class action suit over that motor having the exact problem, among others.

Loved the car when it was new, but the headaches latter on still piss me off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    I think the thing that works well for the current GTI is it is the first golf that's practically the same here as it is in Europe. MBQ platform is great too!
    Ever since the rather disastrous US plant expansion in the 80s with the Rabbit, I think nearly of the latter gen GTIs have been made in Wolfsburg. My MkVI was of Wolfsburg origin. Oddly enough, though they went to a global platform, the new MkVII's for the States are all made at VW's Mexico plant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Ever since the rather disastrous US plant expansion in the 80s with the Rabbit, I think nearly of the latter gen GTIs have been made in Wolfsburg. My MkVI was of Wolfsburg origin. Oddly enough, though they went to a global platform, the new MkVII's for the States are all made at VW's Mexico plant.
    My MkIV GTI was built in Mexico. It was a brilliant car and I delayed my Porsche purchase for two years in part because I couldn't bear to part with it. Fast, great handling, quiet, awesome in the snow, plenty of room for bikes, killer color. I would buy another Volkswagen without hesitation. In my neighborhood we have both good dealers and excellent independent mechanic support.

There is no wonder that every other car on the road in western Washington is either a VW or a Subaru. Actually, I wonder why people buy Subarus when they could have VWs, and I say that as a current WRX owner.

Love,
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    I guess I didn't type exactly what I meant to.

I think the new Golf is a pretty great car all around because it's the same worldwide finally. This is what makes the current GTI so good is the chassis and other parts aren't cheapened for US. We finally get the same or close to it parts package as they do in Europa!

Also I don't think the last few generations of GTI's have been built in Wolfsburg. Only R series if I remember. GTI power trains maybe but not the cars.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    My MkIV GTI was built in Mexico. It was a brilliant car and I delayed my Porsche purchase for two years in part because I couldn't bear to part with it. Fast, great handling, quiet, awesome in the snow, plenty of room for bikes, killer color. I would buy another Volkswagen without hesitation. In my neighborhood we have both good dealers and excellent independent mechanic support.

There is no wonder that every other car on the road in western Washington is either a VW or a Subaru. Actually, I wonder why people buy Subarus when they could have VWs, and I say that as a current WRX owner.

Love,
    Nick
    What Porsche and options did you get. I've wanted a Cayman S for a while lately. Only reason I didin't do it besides the wife killing me is my moto keeps me pretty happy.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxmech13 View Post
    I guess I didn't type exactly what I meant to.

I think the new Golf is a pretty great car all around because it's the same worldwide finally. This is what makes the current GTI so good is the chassis and other parts aren't cheapened for US. We finally get the same or close to it parts package as they do in Europa!

Also I don't think the last few generations of GTI's have been built in Wolfsburg. Only R series if I remember. GTI power trains maybe but not the cars.
    My window sticker has assembly in Wolfsburg. My understanding is the Mark V and VI GTI in the US were built there and GTI production in Mexico was halted after the MkIVs, and since restarted with the MkVII.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh. Who'd of thought.
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    I am in the market for another car and my local VW dealer is offering me a 2016 Autobahn GTI for $2,500 under invoice for being a loyal customer.

The $2,500 under invoice is about $5K off MSRP. I am interested, but still pissed off about my TDI......

Just curious what people would do.......
    If that is for being loyal I would hate to see what they charge for a newbie, especially since you need to give up your TDI........go for atleast 40% off
    Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ira Glass and the good folks at This American Life recently ran a piece about marketing to the public in light of the VW emissions scandal. One of the "Mad Men" in the piece was the individual responsible for doing damage control for Jack-in-the-Box following their ecoli incident. Several interesting takes on what VW needs to do in order to start to gain back the public trust...besides actually getting the systems to work.

569: Put a Bow on It

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

apparently some people would.....

Volkswagen Can't Keep Up With Huge Surge In Sales
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. That ought to line their pockets enough to buy back our TDI! I wouldn't buy another one right now. They're sorry, heads are rolling, I get it. I don't believe anyone/thing is irredeemable, and I'll give them a chance in the future ... but for now they've got to get their house in order. And I'm enough of a horse trader to want to graze in other pastures. Plus our TDI never got the mileage promised.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All cars reported to be used by the ISIS members during the Paris Attacks last friday came from the WV group (WV Golf, Polo and a Seat).

Just saying.
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast