User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Getting this off my chest atmo -

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Getting this off my chest atmo -

This thread has split into several issues; my own and the link text in the OP is one of them. However, this post is about some of the others.

When we started V Place it was 2007 and we had less wisdom. The screen name thing wasn't considered. In order to make the Frame Forum part of it the best it could be, we switched over to the first/last name thing last April. The thread about it is stuck on the top of the board and I'm happy to re-paste it in a PM to you if you can't find it.

Some of you mention that your settings for What's New ? threads don't show the forum you're reading or replying to. Others mention that mobile devices strip out signatures. Still others find reasons to fault the posting guidelines.

If you have a problem with the first and last name thing, either 1) don't post in the Frame Forum or, 2) just go away.
    Last edited by e-RICHIE; 12-08-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: typo -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    I think we've beat this horse to death pretty well. I'll agree to disagree. But I don't think you should assume that bringing religion into this discussion is right. Why do you do so? We were talking about public identity not what social/religious group we might or might not belong to. Are you mistaking one for the other? I hope not because if so this says more about your views then mine. Andy.
    When I said it'd be most effective to pick a WASPy name to go by, that had nothing to do with religion (but I should have guessed that your admittedly revanchist outlook would have you see it that way)

I meant that you put the most people at ease reading as the "real name" of a bland and generic "white american" — Aaron rather than Avigdor

Mainland Chinese figured this out years ago, they nearly all pick "English Names" when they learn the language and use them for business
    Fred Blasdel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post
    The only bad behavior I've seen at vplace has been from the moderators and their friends

a general inability to read or google anything themselves, with rampant "shitposting" in reply to anything they don't understand

a bit of the shitposting is well intended, but that doesn't make it any more useful to spam "talk to zank" in reply to every question
    Don't go away mad....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    ... we switched over to the first/last name thing last April. The thread about it is stuck on the top of the board and I'm happy to re-paste it in a PM to you if you can't find it.
    Actually, I was saying that it was an entry gate requirement over 2 years ago to get on the site at all, not just the FF. Or maybe I interpreted it all wrong and a "handle" would have been okay? Water under the bridge, really, I just thought that requirement was in place long before April.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David Tollefson View Post
    Actually, I was saying that it was an entry gate requirement over 2 years ago to get on the site at all, not just the FF. Or maybe I interpreted it all wrong and a "handle" would have been okay? Water under the bridge, really, I just thought that requirement was in place long before April.
    I wouldn't know that since I don't see the names of new V Place registrations atmo.
    My energy, whatever is left of it, is spent on the framebuilding side of things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread has about run it's course.
    We don't have to agree. Just be decent about things and stay in the conversation(s).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf
    The only people playing games here are the old men trying to force modern society to interact with them on their terms.
    As an old guy I hope you understand that it's normal for me to channel popular culture, Downton Abbey style...
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Crawley
    I hope it is not vulgar in me to suggest that you find some way to overcome your scruples atmo.
    Enjoy the rest of the internet. Your time here is over.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record, the acronym "WASP" (for White Anglo Saxon Protestant) was popularized by, if not coined by, a sociology professor at the University of Pennsylvania, E. Digby Baltzell. Digby fashioned himself something of a modern-day Alexis de Tocqueville. For what it's worth, he commuted to campus on a single-speed bicycle.

The term WASP has made its way into the modern lexicon and depending on its usage may or may not have religious undertones. One of the more notable references in popular culture is in the movie Wall Street, when Gordon Gekko explains to Bud Fox something along the lines of, "Just got on the board of the Bronx Zoo. Cost me a cool mil'. There's one thing you need to understand about WASPs—they love animals, but they can't stand people."

(Bill Threadgill)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downton Abbey style...
    January 5th. Circled in red (hearts). Date night with the Mrs. and a bowl of popcorn.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- from this old army boy..,
    much like the military, easy to understand and follow:
    when the co and/or the xo put out a AR -- you follow it..,
    or it can be amended, rescinded or deleted.., but until, it is
    followed with a smile or disorder within..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FUCKING HELL!!

Are we all mad? is it so difficult to understand a bare minimun behaviour rules? No one is forced to be here, anyone no liking the rules can simply move over to other place.

In fact, I would say the non-anonymous rule should be applied to the whole VSalon.

I really do not get people's minds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me or does anyone else think this thread is about Fred?
    Dave Saul
    Starr Cycles (not a real company, but I need to put something on the downtube)
    Bridgeton, NJ
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/starrcycles/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard, I'm not sure it is as simple as how you describes it. The relation between anonymity and real name is false. Last time I did a google check I found a lot of homonymous people all over the globe and I'm far from having a much more common english or spanish name. In my old gmail adress I frequently receive emails from people trying to reach another Thomas Leveille. He is living in the USA and he registered several times by mistake to different things, including VOD accounts, insurance and a whole lot of other thing. In fact I could probably steal parts of his life if I really wanted to.

A well known, catchy and relatively unique screen name bears less anonymity than a more common real name atmo. In fact I use several screen names depending on the subjects because I'm not particularly fond of being a prey/product for a number of big companies. As David Corr said earlier, big data is real. One of my current screen name became so much attached to me that some of my coworkers, my mother and sisters in law are all using it when talking to me. Even my 4y old daughter is starting to using it instead of calling me daddy. And this without me doing anything to advertise it. If there is one me, this is how you would call it and not how I was called at my birth. And following that logic I should use that screen name instead of my real name.

That said, I am here as a gest and happily adapt to my hosts rules. Especially gentlemens and womens like you.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gordon View Post
    You don't need to wear a patch on your arm to have honor, but you do need to post your first and last name.

Attachment 75378

To those who do wear uniforms in service of our country, Thank you!
    I'm not sure this post has its place here. Sure the velocipedesalon forum is hosted in the USA but I haven't seen any guidelines saying it was intended for US citizens only. As in any army, people who serve your country cause directly or indirectly harm to people in other countries. But I don't blame you, I can understand people being proud of people risking their live for what could look like protecting a country. It would be great if it was as simple as that. Good vs Evil, these are all fairy tales. It's all about balance of powers and selfishness. From every single party.

We are all friends here but our countries are all at war. Economically, politically, if not militarily. Serving our countries is serving war. And I don't really find it that honourable.

Well thread drift, move on.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This conversation has gone very far from my OP and has nothing to do with it, and the linked text on my site - as I said very early in this thread - had nothing to do with V Place or anyone here. And I am pretty sure I grasp the fact that even if you post with a first and last name they could be as valid and random as the screen names some use. In other words, folks could make their names up, come in through the crack in the window, and post here.

We do the best we can to keep the place (Frame Forum) open, informative, and civil. The only time my finger gets near the button is when someone continually condescends to others, is snarky, or overtly confrontational.

Thanks
    Last edited by e-RICHIE; 12-09-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an old guy I hope you understand that it's normal for me to channel popular culture, Downton Abbey style...

Enjoy the rest of the internet. Your time here is over.
    Disappointing. I realize he rubs some of you the wrong way, but I personally found value in much of what he had to share (as I do with even some of his detractors). I met Fred at a bike swap last year, and doubt many of you would dislike the person I met. I'm sure my opinion is worth little, since I just come here to learn, rather than contribute, but I'm sharing anyway.

Eamon Nordquist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGoogle McDougal View Post
    Disappointing. I realize he rubs some of you the wrong way, but I personally found value in much of what he had to share (as I do with even some of his detractors). I met Fred at a bike swap last year, and doubt many of you would dislike the person I met. I'm sure my opinion is worth little, since I just come here to learn, rather than contribute, but I'm sharing anyway.

Eamon Nordquist
    I would like the person you met, too. To that end, most folks have a real life stance that's worlds apart from their online persona. But we have this place online. And the place has to have something close to a code in order for it to remain. We don't want a street fight, personal body slams, or even an untoward word from one cat to another. Sometimes a guy loses sight of this too many times in a row. We do the best we can to and remain as tolerant as possible. But it's not going to be the Wild West or some electronic free for all.

Your opinion is worth as much as any other that's expressed here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before this is locked...

Moderation and standards are a good thing but at some point the effort requires a community standard or its too tiring for a few people to chase all the kids off the lawn.

Many years ago, when the sharing platform was Usenet news groups and not web based forums, a single person managed to destroy a newsgroup that was dear to a number of us. Nothing to do with cycling and will spare the details. But it was a shame to see a resource that had benefited many taken away. Not physically of course, the group still exists somewhere in byte land. But the tone changed, people left and that was that. The active participants lost something and the lurkers lost something.

All because one guy couldn't behave with a reasonable semblance of social norms and there were no simple moderator tools to eliminate the problem.

Ultimately you can't control the internet but for periods of time you can keep a valuable resource relevant and mostly open. I admire the folks that put in the time to try and keep something they care about working well.

Now having said that, I still think you called me (and possibly Edoz) lazy when all I did was answer your question. Honestly thought about not bothering because it was obvious this thread was going to deteriorate rapidly. But I typed because frankly you seemed to be hurting a bit lately and because the question seemed genuine and not rhetorical. A simple "thanks" or frankly nothing would have been better received. Maybe you care, perhaps not, but perception matters in a community and leaders have that extra responsibility.

Very best,

Mark Curran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Start a thread that means something to you and stay engaged.
    My only observation at this point is that when we begin talking about each other it is one of two things. It is winter and we all are getting itchy or we've temporarily lost sight of the fact that there is a remarkable opportunity here.
    I'm getting the last word here and apologies in advance. I'm extremely sympathetic, very gullible and easily distracted. That is why I manage the periphery of this joint and our team of good looking thugs do the bidding. This is how it is.
    Peace, Josh

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234