Thread: College football

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: College football

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Who was the other UTK WR who used to catch around the era of Peerless Price - I seem to remember they were a duo?
    Cedric Wilson was WR2 in '98. Are you maybe thinking of Donte Stallworth?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Cedric Wilson was WR2 in '98. Are you maybe thinking of Donte Stallworth?
    Wilson doesn't ring a bell I didn't know Stallworth was a Vol - I remember a sweet duo of WRs back in the day but Price is the name that stands out. Tennessee used to throw long when I was at Sewanee; I enjoyed watching those TN teams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben: who do you like this weekend, Elephant or Dawgs? How does ND match up to either?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben: who do you like this weekend, Elephant or Dawgs? How does ND match up to either?
    ND won't match up with either. They barely won against unranked teams all year. Pitt, Wake Forest and the Academies aren't in the same league as the competition in the SEC, especially at the level of the Tide and the Dawgs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auburn couldn't win a powder puff game but still I thought it was interesting Bama was up 42-0 at half considering the second half is when most teams pour on the points, i.e. fatigue, playmaking, adjustments etc. I haven't seen UGA play but the Dawgs are never really as good as their record. True they stomped GT who is playing in the ACC championship game, but ACC and SEC football are different sports.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Georgia vs Alabama should be brutal game.
    Georgia vs ole Miss 37-10
    vs Auburn 38-0
    vs Tenn 51-44
    Alabama vs ole Miss 33-14
    vs auburn 49-0
    vs Tenn 44-13

End of season is always a toss-up

For ND, their defense is stout, but they lack on offense. Therefore, either SEC team has the edge being able to score points.
    The only in common opponent was Michigan with Bama. ND won 13-6 Bama won 44-14

ND could only score 22 points against a leaky USC defense.

On a side note, Johnny Football has better numbers than Cam Newton did the year he won the Heisman. In a year without dominant stars, I hope he gets it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read this somewhere yesterday (possibly the indispensible Every Day Should Be Saturday, College Football ) and I think it's exactly right: Georgia is precisely the kind of team that could eke out a win against Alabama and then lose to Notre Dame by 21.

Still, if you're a betting man, you bang Alabama to win the next two.

Also, I think it's horseshit that ND doesn't have to play a conference championship game. Playing the #3 team in the country (or #2, if you're Georgia) for the right to play #1 is a hell of a tough row to hoe. Hurry, playoffs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auburn couldn't win a powder puff game but still I thought it was interesting Bama was up 42-0 at half considering the second half is when most teams pour on the points, i.e. fatigue, playmaking, adjustments etc. I haven't seen UGA play but the Dawgs are never really as good as their record. True they stomped GT who is playing in the ACC championship game, but ACC and SEC football are different sports.
    I think the Dawgs are deceptively good this year. Jarvis Jones is the best defensive player in the country by a pretty wide margin, IMO, and Aaron Murray has quietly turned into a really solid QB. I legitimately think they could beat anyone. Of course, Richt gonna Richt, which means they could lose to anyone, too. Such is life as a Georgia fan.

Also, I think it's great that the Yellowjackets are playing in the ACC championship game (because Miami and UNC have bowl bans). If they win, there'll be a 7-6 team in the Orange Bowl, which is as hilarious a sign of the ACC's ineptitude as any I can think of. Also, I can't say this anywhere else because my gf is a Clemson girl, but for the Tigers to lose 4 in a row to South Carolina, including getting manhandled this year when they were the #11 team in the country, just cracks me up. (Or, if you prefer, see FSU v. Florida).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't watch the game but refreshed my browser to follow the score the entire first half which was close, exciting. I thought it was huge that Bama intercepted Georgia right before the half although I wish they had found the end zone. Didn't follow the second half but read that the play action fake was a huge play - a 46 yard toss to Bama's #1 receiver - and probably the difference. Who's defense looked better? Also what about offense did either team look sharper with the ball - from what I've read I think I would give the edge to Alabama for their running game. Lacey I believe his name is averaged close to 10 yards per carry. Can't wait for the Irish .. I want to pound that team into oblivion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Projects around the house kept me from seeing the first half, but from what I saw, neither defense set the world on fire. Of course, that may have had something to do with the fact that three of the best RBs in the country were on the field last night (Lacy, Yeldon and Gurley). Georgia's offense was significantly more balanced (IIRC, Alabama ran the ball nearly 60 times) but Lacy was just devastating. Several times, I thought about what it would have been like to be a Notre Dame defender watching one of the most talented defenses on the country just get demolished. I finally settled on "Not good." Watching that game with no particular interest in which team won was a ton of fun; I can only imagine that it was pretty stressful for the partisan.

Having said all that in praise of Alabama (excuse me while I dry heave), I actually think the NC will be a very, very good game. The Irish run defense appears to be better than Georgia's, and while McCarron's a fine QB, he's not the guy you want to be relying on to win the game for you (the LSU game notwithstanding). Alabama has looked less invincible than in past years, and Notre Dame just has that something this year. Should be fun to watch.

Also, I think Wisconsin just scored again...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... and while McCarron's a fine QB <snip>
    Is McCarron better than Georgia's QB? I don't know what it is about Alabama they seem to bring in pretty pedestrian QBs but they just work in their system. That's not to say they don't have good arms, make wise decisions I guess I mean they're working man's QBs. I personally really love the balance on Saban's teams - usually killer lines both defense and offense - sweet running game and an excellent game manager at QB. But mostly I love how they run it right between the tackles and do whatever it takes to beat their opponent whether it's pretty or not; I think their style is pretty to watch because it's part old school.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Alabama's new offensive coordinator, Doug Nussmeier, is a tremendous edge. He's already helped McCarron look like an actual quarterback after directing a stellar year for Keith Price at Washington last year. Injuries and personnel have taken their toll on Price this year, but his statistical dropoff can also be attributed to Nussmeier's departure. Watching Bama's winning drive against LSU, and watching them outpace Georgia in what passes for a track meet in the SEC, I see a huge advantage.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To my untrained eye, Alabama's system makes different demands of its QBs than Georgia's does, and thus it's hard to compare McCarron and Murray outside the context of their systems. Alabama doesn't seem to be looking for a QB-as-playmaker, rather as a facilitator, and not making mistakes appears to be more important than making brilliant plays (although credit where credit is due: McC threw at least one beautiful TD pass last night that I remember off the top of my head). That's reflected in their stats: Until the A&M game, McC hadn't been intercepted all year. That's not to say that he's not an accurate passer - he is - but if he were in a system like Aaron Murray or Matt Barkley or (God help him) Tyler Bray, he probably would have been picked off much more often.

And let's be clear about something: Saban's teams look balanced because, in almost every circumstance, he's fielding better players than your team at almost every position. It would be like me fighting Mike Tyson in his prime: you'd be impressed both that he hit me so frequently and so hard AND that I never laid a hand on him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there's a tear in my beer..... i have nothing objective to say accept that was a great National Championship Game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To my untrained eye, Alabama's system makes different demands of its QBs than Georgia's does, and thus it's hard to compare McCarron and Murray outside the context of their systems. Alabama doesn't seem to be looking for a QB-as-playmaker, rather as a facilitator, and not making mistakes appears to be more important than making brilliant plays (although credit where credit is due: McC threw at least one beautiful TD pass last night that I remember off the top of my head). That's reflected in their stats: Until the A&M game, McC hadn't been intercepted all year. That's not to say that he's not an accurate passer - he is - but if he were in a system like Aaron Murray or Matt Barkley or (God help him) Tyler Bray, he probably would have been picked off much more often.

And let's be clear about something: Saban's teams look balanced because, in almost every circumstance, he's fielding better players than your team at almost every position. It would be like me fighting Mike Tyson in his prime: you'd be impressed both that he hit me so frequently and so hard AND that I never laid a hand on him.
    If you oversign an average of 12 players per year, you field better teams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    And on cue, the official statement was that he was duped into this situation. I'm calling bullshit. Amazing how the timing of her "death" was a perfect run up to the Heisman. Hey, in tight races, you need that emotional vote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    And on cue, the official statement was that he was duped into this situation. I'm calling bullshit. Amazing how the timing of her "death" was a perfect run up to the Heisman. Hey, in tight races, you need that emotional vote.
    The spin coming out of South Bend right now is making me dizzy. Bonkers.
    I just hope his draft stock falls enough that the Giants can snag him.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now several "news organizations" that never checked their "facts" are glad the attention is on Manti for the moment.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just hope the sexual assault cases that got covered up by the ND administration get more scruitiny now. Reports are that if you get raped by a ND football player the teammates helpfully text threats to the victim.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast