Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Town to live in Suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Town to live in Suggestions

I've been to SLC UT a few times on business, PC once (to hang out during Sundance), and perhaps the slices I saw were not representative, but I don't think I could handle the racial and cultural homogeneity for extended periods of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLC does have some great advantages like lower than average unemployment, proximity to the canyons/mountains, great skiing and snowboarding, and if you're not church-going the roads, and I imagine the trails too, are pretty quiet on Sunday mornings. However, if you're seriously considering moving here, do some research on the air quality first. SLC and the surrounding valley is a bit of a basin and the crap in the air tend to stay a bit longer than usual. It's at its worst in the winter when we have temperature inversions in the valley, then the crap won't go anywhere until a storm rolls through. If it weren't for family and a pretty great job, I'd be moving out of SLC myself just due to the air quality issues.

Park City and that general area doesn't have these issues (that I know of).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    I've been to SLC UT a few times on business, PC once (to hang out during Sundance), and perhaps the slices I saw were not representative, but I don't think I could handle the racial and cultural homogeneity for extended periods of time.
    Same reason my wife and I couldn't wait to get out of Boulder. Just going to Denver or Fort Collins was a refreshing break from that bourgie crackatown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Pigeon View Post
    Same reason my wife and I couldn't wait to get out of Boulder. Just going to Denver or Fort Collins was a refreshing break from that bourgie crackatown.
    Yep - the Wasatch Front is pretty whitewashed. There are some parts that are a nice breath of fresh air (taco carts around Sears downtown. best. lengua. ever.), but it's definitely homogenous, especially compared to most cities of similar size. Then again, a majority the locales he's looking at are going to be that way.
    Nate King
    not at scarab

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Lalor View Post
    SLC and the surrounding valley is a bit of a basin and the crap in the air tend to stay a bit longer than usual. ...Park City and that general area doesn't have these issues (that I know of).
    +1

We lived in SLC. My wife worked in the valley and I worked up in PC. We had very different experiences with air quality. I'd live either up in the canyons and commute down (if needed) or up in the PC area depending on how work played out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never in a million years would I think Reno, but after living here for over 5 years, I just love it. I am in NW Reno, 20 minutes from Truckee, and 45 mionutes to the Mount Rose Ski Resort. Tahoe an hour or less away depending on where you wanna ski/ride. We can ride in Reno 360 days a year. Even if it dumps in feet in the mountains the roads at 5,000' where I live are rideable by around noon. (there are a few days when not, but yo like skiing and so are golden.) Super affordable, Markeleeville/Deathride Passes (for the epic road iding days) is 45 minutes away. Where we may not meet your marks is jobs but you both do stuff I don't do so not sure. As a cyclist/runner/outdorsy girl though I really like it here. (3 hours away from San Francisco is a plus too!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    I'd live either up in the canyons and commute down (if needed) or up in the PC area depending on how work played out.
    I've worked with quite a few people who do the live in PC and work in SLC thing. It's more driving than I'd want to do, especially in the winter, but it seemed to work for them.

This year has been especially bad with all of the wildfires, both in-state and out. The wildfires in Idaho and the north winds made it so bad that you couldn't see the mountains if you were more than 10-ish miles away. Nasty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah- that would be more driving then I'd want. The nice thing about living in smaller cities is not having to commute. I'd rather just head up hill for the weekends if I was doing it that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a ranking based on the things important to you...courtesy of Outside Magazine...

Best Towns | OutsideOnline.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taylorj View Post
    Never in a million years would I think Reno
    Yeah - so close to Hell you can see Sparks, right?
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to believe you can make SF in three hours, but it's been a long time since I was out that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtflycaster View Post
    Get a ranking based on the things important to you...courtesy of Outside Magazine...

Best Towns | OutsideOnline.com
    Interesting. I plugged in my preferences and got back a list of small, western, mountain towns where I would almost certainly be un(der)employed. But at least I'd be close to good skiing, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in Fort Collins. It's great. Big enough but not large; close enough but not too close (to the city; the mountains; the canyon; etc). Housing is reasonable; expensive compared to Kansas, cheap compared to Boulder. The cycling is superb, and year round. Great road riding (flats to the east; hills to the west). Great trail riding (I just road the Hewlett Gulch trail for the first time following the summer fire ... it's a stunning trail, as good as the best short trails in CO ... depending on where you live in town, it's a 30-45 minute drive to the trail head). I love my life here, and consider Fort Collins one of the best places to live.

Jobs? Can be tough, depending on the industry. FoCo is the regional healthcare center for NorCo, but I know nothing about the particulars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The link to the Outside Mag list reminded me of a web site I found a while back.

Find Your Spot | Find Your Spot

Their database seems to be pretty big and you'll get some interesting results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a house in SF and door to door (Note I am the closest exit to California so closer for sure to Calif than downtown Reno), but I have made it in 2:45 without speeding too much and leeaving early before the traffic.!
    Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Hard to believe you can make SF in three hours, but it's been a long time since I was out that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got nuthin' to add to this thread, but man I'm taking notes like it's going outta style! Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taylorj View Post
    I have a house in SF and door to door (Note I am the closest exit to California so closer for sure to Calif than downtown Reno), but I have made it in 2:45 without speeding too much and leeaving early before the traffic.!
    I usually make great time until I hit the Bay Bridge toll plaza. I can hit Oakland/Berkeley in about three hours, driving reasonably and without stopping to eat.

I also love the drive –– the scenery is astounding to the point of near distraction. Also, if you're hungry, Ikeda's in Auburn is always a good choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRZ View Post
    Bay Bridge toll plaza
    i wonder how many lifetimes are spent within a couple hundred yards of this place

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I'm asking for the world, but my skin is crawling.
    Need suggestions! Where would you live if not for
    the conventional constraints (near elderly parents,
    job not transferable to a better locale...). Maybe
    just a little upscale but not expensive.

The people here are friendly and decent, but they won't hesitate to shoot you
    if they think you deserve it. I've been here four years and I'm still suffering from
    non-culture shock. The best place to dine (jacket, tie not required) is Subway...
    yes, really... it goes down hill from there. I was told, "Max, you don't understand...
    beer isn't a beverage, it's a lifestyle." Driving & beer, firearms & beer, beatin' the
    ol' wuumaan (woman) & beer....

I don't need Le Circe, King Luis VX, or Canlis, but I do need an upgrade!

Housing here is inexpensive (over $700/yr.) for nice places, the food is
    plentiful and is also inexpensive. When the weather is nice it is a great
    place to be, but for a lot of the year the area is blanketed in snow.

It's hard to carry on an intelligent conversation when you're surrounded
    by low-brow mouth breathers, and the only topics of conversation is cows,
    loggin' trucks, pick-up trucks, and beer, (and the neighbor's hot fourteen
    year old daughter. UGH! REALLY???).

Supply-side economics? Trends in commodities futures? Debates over who
    has the better tailor? Ever seen a cow staring at a new fence?

I'm not a snob... really! But if I could just get an upgrade... you know people
    who know it's not polite to pick your nose in public.

Suggestions?

Costa Rica?
    BVI?
    Antigua?

Something in the lower 48 states?

I did find a place in Monaco....

-"Mad" Max Speedwell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think about where we are going to retire to everyday. Goodbye snow. 15 years and counting.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast