User Tag List

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Minneapolis Social Injustice and Related

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    If you are not American, there is so much weirdness in what passes for normal. When you guys start calling things out as weird, it’s REALLy weird. I know it’s constitutional and all that bollocks but really why is it OK that any of these fcuckers have guns?
    Because some modern day conservatives have twisted the Second Amendment to their own political ends? Because the Framers, brilliant as they were, were still human and made mistakes that for some reason we feel we can never go back and correct in what is intended to be a living document? Because the cognitive dissonance of anti-government militias openly supporting the suppression of protest groups by the government is an idea deeply rooted in the American right wing fever dream? Only in America could you marry anti-authoritarianism with protofascism.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    "This is America"~Childish Gambino
    Off topic, perhaps, but this song - and especially the video - is absolutely amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Off topic, perhaps, but this song - and especially the video - is absolutely amazing.
    It's not like Black Americans haven't been trying to tell White America:

I know I'm probably missing half his references but still think this is one of the most shocking, disturbing, powerful works of art I've seen in the last few years.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently there were 88 of the Trump ads with the red triangle and the first sentence had 14 words.

What do a red triangle, 14 words, and 88 ads have in common? | Psychology Today Australia
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Apparently there were 88 of the Trump ads with the red triangle and the first sentence had 14 words.

What do a red triangle, 14 words, and 88 ads have in common? | Psychology Today Australia
    Wow. I guess that answers the question “what is an anti anti-fascist?”

Who are Antifa?

According to the Anti-Defamation League, “it is important to reject attempts to claim equivalence between the antifa and the white supremacist groups they oppose. Antifa reject racism but use unacceptable tactics. White supremacists use even more extreme violence to spread their ideologies of hate, to intimidate ethnic minorities, and undermine democratic norms. Right-wing extremists have been one of the largest and most consistent sources of domestic terror incidents in the United States for many years; they have murdered hundreds of people in this country over the last ten years alone. To date, there have not been any known antifa-related murders.”

Looks like there are white supremacists in the White House.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post

I know I'm probably missing half his references but still think this is one of the most shocking, disturbing, powerful works of art I've seen in the last few years.
    You should binge his 'Atlanta' series on FX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Wow. I guess that answers the question “what is an anti anti-fascist?”

Who are Antifa?

According to the Anti-Defamation League, “it is important to reject attempts to claim equivalence between the antifa and the white supremacist groups they oppose. Antifa reject racism but use unacceptable tactics. White supremacists use even more extreme violence to spread their ideologies of hate, to intimidate ethnic minorities, and undermine democratic norms. Right-wing extremists have been one of the largest and most consistent sources of domestic terror incidents in the United States for many years; they have murdered hundreds of people in this country over the last ten years alone. To date, there have not been any known antifa-related murders.”

Looks like there are white supremacists in the White House.
    Sadly, I don't think many on the alt-right think there is equivalence between Antifa and White Supremacists. I know people sliding into the morass, and to them, Antifa is dangerous terrorists and they are blind to white guys with guns threatening people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post

So much symbolism up for interpretation here.
    I'm intrigued about the cars - they all seem to be from the mid-to-late 1980's, maybe with the exception of the red one he is standing on towards the end (and this appears to be early 90's vintage).
    Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about the bodies falling from the sky?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm intrigued about the cars - they all seem to be from the mid-to-late 1980's, maybe with the exception of the red one he is standing on towards the end (and this appears to be early 90's vintage).
    Thoughts?
    The cars are all from the last time period when there was real black upward mobility in the United States. Many modern rap videos feature new, flashy cars. Contextually the cars seem to be behind the times. They symbolize that stagnation. And more plainly, poor people drive old cars. That's it.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts?
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K-Pop Stans and TikTok teens will save the world. My wife and I were wondering about something like this happening when we read that anyone could reserve a ticket. The kids can have my lawn.

TikTok Teens Claim They Tanked Trump Rally - The New York Times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the time we got to Tulsa, we were 10,000(if that) MAGAts strong.

But the fucktwit did manage to reintroduce the racist terms Kung-flu and hombre.....so credit where credit is due.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    K-Pop Stans and TikTok teens will save the world. My wife and I were wondering about something like this happening when we read that anyone could reserve a ticket. The kids can have my lawn.

TikTok Teens Claim They Tanked Trump Rally - The New York Times
    I think the NYT is playing checkers here for the following reasons:

Any requests from TIK TOK users would have been on top of normal demand from Trump supporters. Even if TIK TOK users did not show up, it would not matter, because the true Trump supporter would show. The tickets were not capped because they planned for overflow. The reality is Trump supporters did not show. That is the only fact we need concern ourselves with. His 'support' is waning.

The 1mm+ requests originated with Trump. We can safely infer this is a grossly inflated number since that is his habit. I doubt they had 100,000 requests including TikTok.

The campaign is now trying to spin this as TIK TOK (radical left) trying to subvert Trump and rile of his base. He thinks a riled up base is his advantage. I expect him to try to spin this into an example how the radical left will steal the election if mail in voting is allowed like they stole the tickets from his faithful supporters for this failed rally. I like AOC a lot, but she fell into a simple trap by cheering on TikTok in a tweet. She is one of the 4 women he loves to use to rile his base. She needs to be a little smarter.
    I prefer this narrative and think it is more robust than the NYT piece.

I'll put a reminder in my calendar to listen to Rush Limbaugh tomorrow. He'll give it to me straight. (see how much of this he parrots)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think any TiKTok users went or even planned to go. That wasn’t the prank. The prank was to create an overflow of nonexistent attendees. To build expectations among the Trump people that would only be disappointed. Leave him at the altar.

My niece was in on the hashtag dilution. Pick a k-pop band and add a hashtag. Pretty soon anyone searching by hashtag only finds k-pop bands. And she doesn’t even like k-pop.

I can guess the other 3 women who get Trump discombobulated. He’s going to use them anyway. I say keep him punch drunk and swinging at shadows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing is, they never seemed to have a clue that something wasn't right. Tweeting how many people signed up they were going to have a second speech for the overflow that couldn't get in.

Today I burst out laughing on the ride. This came to mind: "Someone's gotta go back and get a s--tload of dimes."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The danger of having a mythological narrative surrounding a central ego-vortex. Eventually everyone gets sucked in.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

COVID19 doesn't make it easy but I suggest getting involved in some way to help elect forward thinking, constructive candidates. The Republican Party and allied organs have been extremely effective in gerrymandering and getting culturally regressive folks elected at local, state and national levels. The linked article shouldn't be news, generally, but it should act as an alarm; those folks are not stopping and will not stop. They don't give a tinkers damn about democracy, improving the lives of regular people, the environment or much of anything else; they care about economic and cultural (as in white man) primacy. Period. They're kicking ass and vile people like Tom Cotton are waiting in the wings. Do something.

'This is a war': Republicans launch bid to control election maps for next decade | US news | The Guardian
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    COVID19 doesn't make it easy but I suggest getting involved in some way to help elect forward thinking, constructive candidates. The Republican Party and allied organs have been extremely effective in gerrymandering and getting culturally regressive folks elected at local, state and national levels. The linked article shouldn't be news, generally, but it should act as an alarm; those folks are not stopping and will not stop. They don't give a tinkers damn about democracy, improving the lives of regular people, the environment or much of anything else; they care about economic and cultural (as in white man) primacy. Period. They're kicking ass and vile people like Tom Cotton are waiting in the wings. Do something.

'This is a war': Republicans launch bid to control election maps for next decade | US news | The Guardian
    This was the break through insight the republicans had and caught the democrats napping. They realized it was extremely cost effective to fund candidates at the local level to get control of redistricting.