User Tag List

Page 335 of 362 FirstFirst ... 325326327328329330331332333334335336337338339340341342343344345 ... LastLast
Results 6,681 to 6,700 of 7224

Thread: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Get Your Grump on Thursdays - Was (What's chapping my @ss today?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Tex View Post
    The Great Romaine Drought of 2019. In my area, romaine has been in ultra short supply for about a month now. It’s killing me.
    Natures way of getting you to explore other lettuce varieties...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Great Romaine Drought of 2019. In my area, romaine has been in ultra short supply for about a month now. It’s killing me.
    Not likely to kill you as much as eating the tainted romaine that's been circulating.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Natures way of getting you to explore other lettuce varieties...
    I can’t do iceberg, I consider it the polyester of the lettuce world. I’ve been substituting kale but it’s just not getting it ‘done’. What else is out there ? This has seriously effed up my daily eating habits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can’t do iceberg, I consider it the polyester of the lettuce world. I’ve been substituting kale but it’s just not getting it ‘done’. What else is out there ? This has seriously effed up my daily eating habits.
    Here are some to try...

16 Types of Lettuce Varieties
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lettuce is ridiculously easy to grow, take control of your destiny, dont be so obedient, i mean who cares if theres a recall, you are a man of your own destiny.

little gem is the finest lettuce out there. Trucha is very nice as is red oak leaf, butter crunch, and mascara.

then theres raddichio, chard, spinach, miners lettuce, kale, mustard, mizuna, dandelion, rocket, and so many more.

angered by salad, thats new
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you sure you are a red-blooded American? I think the original flag sewn by Betsy Ross was made out of iceberg lettuce. ;-)

Try Mizuna/Japanese/Asian mixed greens. A range of flavors from sweet to typical lettuce to more of a mustard spice. Really easy to grow too, and if you snip carefully, a patch can last for a while and keep sending up new leaves. Once we beat the slugs (put down some copper pipe here and there - who knew?) our patch produced until it got covered with snow. Our friend in the Catskills can grow them during winter in her kitchen's bay window in a long window box. The best seed company I know is Turtle Tree Seed Initiative, and they sell the mix we used in our garden this year - Asian Greens Seed Mix 172.

If you grow it yourself, you'll know where it came from!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post

angered by salad, thats new
    More like angered by the lack of salad. Thanks for the options though. Until today I could only name 3 kinds of lettuce (and one of the 3 was ‘shredded’)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to all for the options. I’m not sure growing my own is in the cards for me, I’ve got no space in the city. But I have a Whole Foods a few minutes away, now I will know what to look for. Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is really funny - my wife & I disagreed about Iceberg for decades (me pro, her con.)

Now she's come to appreciate it, and it's entered her salad-making repertoire.

There's hope for healing our nation's profound divisions!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree on Iceberg...have become a big fan of Boston. Heads are small but flavor is big. Butterhead which I have seen sold as Boston is also good. But Boston is my total go to.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iceberg is a canvas for really good blue cheese, bacon and a little olive oil. Other than that it's good malnourishment for rabbits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- same with tammy and i.. I like olive garden iceberg lettuce salad.., truly not Italian dining..
    unlimed salad less the croutons, my smile..

happy holidays,
    ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HIPAA means Health Information PORTABILITY and Accountability Act. So I go get a CT scan last Tuesday because I have a bunch of extra added features on my vocal cords that they're going to cut off because I want to be able to talk again and the surgeon wants to make sure that there's no surprises. I like that idea. The extra added features were weird enough that they send me down to the local Pro From Dover at Albany Med. I get the CT scan done at Schenectady's "premier" facility because they're more convenient to me. So next week the Albany Med experts are going to need the report and the images. So today I think, let's make sure things are going right. I call Albany Med. No, there's nothing attached to your report. So I call the local. We sent the report to Dr. X. There's no Dr. X on the Albany Med list of docs. And Oh by the way, the local doesn't send the images. So I go over and get the report and have them burn a CD with the images which I'll hand deliver Monday when I'm down that way to be in the office. We spend billions on f'ing infrastructure and have standards for medical information interchange and these dorks can't deliver a report and a file to the doctor that ordered the test. Why don't they just tie it to a f-ing pigeon and let it fly the f-ing thing over there?

On the bright side I read the report. Now I know why I have massive headaches and if I move my left arm just about any particular way it lights up pretty good. Apparently you're not supposed to rupture cervical disks or have moderate to severe foraminal stenosis. Screw it, though, I can still ride the bike.

And pushups make the headaches go away just about instantly. So I'll do my twenty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Health Insurance system is working just fine thanks. Only little detail is that people actually need health care not health insurance. American exceptionalism at work again...

And don't be talking down to the pigeons. There was a test run a while ago, where attaching a thumb drive to a homing pigeon was actually faster than the net transfer.

Good luck with your vocal cords!
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sick 2 weeks and counting...
    runny nose => sore throat => persistent cough

Thankfully, no fever = no flu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost 3 weeks for me. Allergy attack -> cold -> sinus infection. I'm just starting to be functional again and I've run out of patience.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, not enough that I have two lesions on my vocal cords that they're going to go in and remove on the 30th (almost certainly benign, though) but I come down with a cold. Except my team loves it because I truly can't speak at this point. I make what to them must be the most amusing hoarse squeaky croaks until my nose lights up and I sneeze uncontrollably.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Almost 3 weeks for me. Allergy attack -> cold -> sinus infection. I'm just starting to be functional again and I've run out of patience.
    same here, this monday was my first day feeling human in ages, and now my world is covered in snow, so getting outside is tough anyway. and my throat still gets sore at night
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be worse... I rode with this fella a time or two. He rode a lot. :(

Troopers identify 64-year-old hit, killed while riding bicycle in Iredell Co.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Russian Doll grump:

1. I went to the dentist today

a. My blood pressure read sky high (white coat hypertension)

i. "but your heart rate is low. Do you workout?"
    "yep"
    "are you a runner?"
    "No, cyclist"
    "do you go to spin class or do you have a Peloton?"

1. "..I..uh..." *Nope. Do not engage.* "I-I have a Peloton"