User Tag List

Page 33 of 69 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

In a nutshell:

"But the partisanship problem is less about the people in the party and more about the structural forces driving hyper-partisan decision-making. The big three for me are gerrymandering, closed primaries, and big money. All of this puts so much pressure on people to conform or compromise."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geeze man. Say something. Links without words zzzzzzzzzzz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Geeze man. Say something. Links without words zzzzzzzzzzz.
    Did you read the piece? Hearing it from someone who was on the red team is way more compelling than what I can muster...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vsalonistas. Please share journalism of the day you find compelling.
    Brief comments appreciated, not required.
    I have just been following the instructions. When I have something profound to say i generally am not all that shy. Sometimes I'm not shy with the not profound bits. But generally less is more...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Doug, you took the more obvious fork in the road. I was asking what's a proper punishment for the so-called journalists who made up the story, what's their culpability for getting the ball rolling?

Thankful the feds nipped that one in the bud.
    since infowars is not about ideology but only for profit, you have to hit the wallet. A lot like the Sandy Hook father, you sue for defamation for a judgement. Unfortunately, the $450,000 award was inadequate in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies Guido, I love you man. I've got a hair trigger for links without some words. My problem not yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies Guido, I love you man. I've got a hair trigger for links without some words. My problem not yours.
    I love you too big guy. No worries!
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the Russians Coming? - Oxford Scholarship

Dense but interesting in re Russian information warfare and exploiting American weakness.

The concluding paragraph:

“ The result is a United States that is vulnerable to disinformation campaigns, both foreign and domestic. That susceptibility does not come from Russia, though Russia clearly has been trying to exploit it. That susceptibility does not come from Facebook, though Facebook has clearly been a primary vector online. It comes from three decades of divergent media practices and consumption habits that have left a large number of Americans, overwhelmingly on the right of the political spectrum, vulnerable to disinformation and ready to believe the worst, as long as it lines up with their partisan identity. And that susceptibility should be, in the long term, unacceptable to conservatives every bit as much as it is to all other Americans despite its short-term electoral benefits.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post

Dense but interesting in re Russian information warfare and exploiting American weakness.

The concluding paragraph:

“ The result is a United States that is vulnerable to disinformation campaigns, both foreign and domestic. That susceptibility does not come from Russia, though Russia clearly has been trying to exploit it. That susceptibility does not come from Facebook, though Facebook has clearly been a primary vector online. It comes from three decades of divergent media practices and consumption habits that have left a large number of Americans, overwhelmingly on the right of the political spectrum, vulnerable to disinformation and ready to believe the worst, as long as it lines up with their partisan identity. And that susceptibility should be, in the long term, unacceptable to conservatives every bit as much as it is to all other Americans despite its short-term electoral benefits.”
    The intrusion and manipulation that was piloted and utilized to mess with elections and other unrest in a number of "smaller" countries, then used to fuel Brexit and the fire in the US is illuminated in the recently published "Mindf*ck" by Christopher Wylie.

An excerpt: Book Excerpt: ‘MINDF*CK’ by Christopher Wylie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh boy, I've got a bunch of interesting reading to do. Thanks SpeedyOne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh boy, I've got a bunch of interesting reading to do. Thanks SpeedyOne
    I have wanted to post the book and possible discussion in this thread but wasn't sure as it is a book rather than article.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post

.........that have left a large number of Americans, overwhelmingly on the right of the political spectrum, vulnerable to disinformation and ready to believe the worst, as long as it lines up with their partisan identity. [/b]
    Overwhelming on the right ? It’s been my experience that this type of ‘obedient ignorance’ is spread fairly evenly between right & left.

I’m not sure disinformation campaigns or ‘fake news’ are the biggest problem. IMHO, folks across all political spectrums have become less capable of analyzing information logically, critically, and honestly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Tex View Post
    Overwhelming on the right ? It’s been my experience that this type of ‘obedient ignorance’ is spread fairly evenly between right & left.
    I don’t see elected leaders on the left pushing completely discredited conspiracy theories about Ukraine interference in our elections simply to defray evidence that our top elected official manipulated foreign policy explicitly in the hope of introducing doubts in voters mind about a political opponent.

Given that Hunter Biden’s name has elevated to national discourse (in spite of Trumps children engaging in international business during his tenure), the disinformation campaign is working.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    I don’t see elected leaders on the left pushing completely discredited conspiracy theories about Ukraine interference in our elections simply to defray evidence that our top elected official manipulated foreign policy explicitly in the hope of introducing doubts in voters mind about a political opponent.

Given that Hunter Biden’s name has elevated to national discourse (in spite of Trumps children engaging in international business during his tenure), the disinformation campaign is working.
    Wow, your post actually proves my point.

Let me guess, Tulsi Gabbard is a secret Russian asset too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exceptions to the larger narratives being pushed by the political parties are not evidence to the contrary. You have multiple Republican senators and representatives pushing the “Ukraine interfered in our elections” and “we have a responsibility to investigate Hunter Biden” narratives that run counter to evidence about election interference, and disregard how law is enforced in this country.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Tex View Post
    Wow, your post actually proves my point.

Let me guess, Tulsi Gabbard is a secret Russian asset too.
    The most dangerous asset may be the useful idiot. There seem to be many of those around.
    Why risk managing an asset when you can more easily manipulate the useful idiot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    The most dangerous asset may be the useful idiot. There seem to be many of those around.
    Why risk managing an asset when you can more easily manipulate the useful idiot?
    Politely, this is in fact how it is done. For instance, during certain times of their illness manic depressives want/ need outside satisfaction that ostensibly can be fulfilled via gambling. It is relatively easy for a Las Vegas operator to target an invidual when he is vulnerable and sell him into a trip to his perceived solution. The unscrupulous ones do it and say well we put a “if you have a gambling problem call....” bug on the ad. The scrupulous operators do not do it.

In election advertising (and spreading disinformation as the Russians, Chinese, Iranians have provably done), it is the same thing just go for the vulnerable and play their vulnerabilities.

This is not necessarily a political spectrum question. People tend to hear what they want to hear and believe things that go along with preconceived notions.

In politics it is also bad because you can say anything you want with no proof. In politics you can say total falsehoods with impunity under FCC and FEC regulation. You could NEVER do that in a commercial advertising. That is the law. There are very good reasons for it being that way. But, as the late John McCain often said in these matters, the uniintended consequences are devastating.

That is why the Russians (and sadly now some Americans) are playing the vulnerabilities of the so called right wing. And it is why the Russians are playing the vulnerabilities of certain segments of some African American communities in the US.

These are facts. I have worked in this industry and have been involved also with politicians, industry types, bureaucrats and law enforcement in trying to grapple with this problem.

It is not a stretch in any way to see how it is actually pretty easy to manipulate a populace into doing something to harm itself by getting individuals to take actions that the individuals normally would not want to/ or would take.

We all need to wake up and realize it is not one side and it is a very real and very dangerous problem.

And we need to force those politicians who think of power not country, who work for us, to stop aiding and abetting and in some cases even committing the will of our enemies.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel