User Tag List

Page 33 of 177 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    I'm not really loving it. IWC should stick to pilot's watches, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually like it. A proper tool(-looking watch). The Pilots after the Mark XV, UTC, 3706, 3713 are all hopelessly ugly -- Spitfire dials, raised markers, etc. I hate them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's better looking than a Proplof for a diving watch, but I think there are more attractive options out there. The IWCs I really like are the Portuguese lineup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quickag View Post
    I know it's not fancy by the standards of this thread, but I've found the watch that will last until money is no longer an object for me.
    I've had one for over three years. Never leaves my wrist. Its scratched to hell but keeps perfect time. I think I'll get another at some point soon just in case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quickag View Post
    I know it's not fancy by the standards of this thread, but I've found the watch that will last until money is no longer an object for me.

Attachment 61846

I bought this because I couldn't get my maratac pilot to keep time for shit...+- 3 or 4 minutes per day. This is unacceptable for a German.

I swapped to a rubber band and now I wear it 24/7. All day. For everything. It's tough. It looks cool. It's <$200.
    Great looking watch. I had one and it's the one thing I lost in my divorce that I miss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two Omega Seamaster watches from the late 1950's. One was my father's and the other was my grandfather's. Both run but neither keeps time. I've been to the Omega service place here in NYC (a little window in a tiny office basically) and have been told there are no parts for these and no reason to send to Omega in Bienne because these watches, which he described as 2-bumper automatics (or similar,) can no longer be restored even by Omega themselves. And even if they could be repaired, it would cost as much as a new watch.

OK maybe, but I am not entirely convinced. There must be someone working on them somewhere who does an artful job and doesn't charge thousands of dollars. You'd think I'd be able to find one in NYC, but finding skilled artisans in the old world trades has become a needle in a haystack operation these days. None of the watch shops, even some of the really good ones, know jack about repairs (let alone restorations) any longer. Replace replace replace. Maybe someone here knows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contact RGM, also a sponsor of ATMOs CX race team, they will take care of you.
    [email protected]
    Ryan M. Hufford
    RGM Watch Company
    801 West Main St
    Mount Joy, PA 17552
    -------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I have two Omega Seamaster watches from the late 1950's. One was my father's and the other was my grandfather's. Both run but neither keeps time. I've been to the Omega service place here in NYC (a little window in a tiny office basically) and have been told there are no parts for these and no reason to send to Omega in Bienne because these watches, which he described as 2-bumper automatics (or similar,) can no longer be restored even by Omega themselves. And even if they could be repaired, it would cost as much as a new watch.

OK maybe, but I am not entirely convinced. There must be someone working on them somewhere who does an artful job and doesn't charge thousands of dollars. You'd think I'd be able to find one in NYC, but finding skilled artisans in the old world trades has become a needle in a haystack operation these days. None of the watch shops, even some of the really good ones, know jack about repairs (let alone restorations) any longer. Replace replace replace. Maybe someone here knows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about Omega specially, but many watch companies stop stocking parts after about 30 years. Doesn't mean there isn't someone out there with the ability to get your watches running well, but it won't be as easy as walking into an Omega dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help TT - RGM is a good idea.

Since these watches run but lose massive amounts of time, I am hoping they may not need parts but just a thorough clean & adjustment. Of course, that doesn't mean it is simple or possible!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

send it to four crowns in LA - they just finished a Rolex for me and it was surprisingly reasonable, beautiful job and 3 week turnaround.

Four Crowns Watch Repair

they are on vacation till the 5th. Tell them Mark sent you

Mark Petry
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help TT - RGM is a good idea.

Since these watches run but lose massive amounts of time, I am hoping they may not need parts but just a thorough clean & adjustment. Of course, that doesn't mean it is simple or possible!
    My friend and I have used this place in the past-- Watch Repair - Manhattan Time Service Center | Midtown, New York City He had an old Tudor that was damaged and repaired. I took my dad's Omega Speedmaster for service. Thought they did a really good job for a reasonable price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mechanical watches are the purview of the rich and collectors, so the ability to have them serviced has followed. I have heard nothing good about the Omega "factory sites" in the US and prefer to send my watches to a reputable independent.

Nesbitts in Seattle is one alternative (Nesbit's Fine Watch Service, the Pacific Northwest's only auhorized watch repair service center for Omega, Longine, Rado, Hamilton and Tissot Watches). They have serviced a 1968 Omega Speedmaster for me. If nothing else they are straight shooters and will tell you if they can or cannot do something at a fixed price.

Another place I have used is International Watch Works (DLC watch coating, watch modification, repair, restoration - IWW). The owner Jack Alexion is a minor legend among the watch nerds for providing service on almost anything. He did a great job repairing a 1950's Omega Seamaster bumper automatic of mine. The downside was that it took almost 8 months to get things done... because he's swamped with work.

Good luck!

In the end, you may have to send your treasured watches to Bienne, but you may as well find out if Nesbitt's could help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent tips. I knew there would be info here. I'll work my way through them. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are them. As you can see, they were well-used. Both worn every day for years. As such, they have a nice patina that only comes from use. Anyway, thanks again for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those are beautiful. the seamasters of old are such classy watches. while i understand evolution and all that, i dont know if the current crop of seamasters will stand the test of time (or being timeless) that these did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These folks are good. Ahmed is as skilled a watchmaker as you will find. Adam_Shami | wayne, NJ 07470

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to stimulate more discussion. Borrowed from the Internet:

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Zenith El Primero Original 1969 chronograph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent. I'd love an El Primero one day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like TT said. Send them to RGM and be done with it. Rolland is called the best watchmaker in the world for a reason!

He is that good.