User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 30 of 112 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

I just clipped my nails. With nail clippers. It wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be but I've been biting them my whole life. Drastic times call for desperate measures. Sounds like I'm joking but this is a base level change. Not going out for breakfast is easy. Changing decades long habits is hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=rowdyhillrambler;994988]
    Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    I retired in January so the biggest thing for me is my all ready too small 401K. I was talking to my old PM on Friday and was told the hospital where we have been for 20 years has said all construction is on hold until further notice. Construction( at least hands on) is one of many jobs that can’t be done at home. Any other construction folks seeing the same thing? The companies other jobs are still underway but for how long? What a ripple effect when thinking about suppliers, subcontractors, etc.

I’m a contractor-although I am in a very small rural area-it hasn’t changed much.. but really I live in a rural area where people do not want to be told what to do and brag about how uneducated they are like it’s a badge of honor.. luckily the 3 guys that work for me are smart caring guys that can see the bigger picture-sadly we might be the acception here

We had a massive tornado last week and construction at full stroke-I don’t see that slowing down

Blue collar work is hard to pin down.. usually these guys are check to check and more macho than they need to be..
    The project I’m finishing now is 4 loft apartments and we only have 4 guys on site.. not sure what I can do here. They work for me-but I get paid based on the work I do and bill out.

I have plenty of shop work to keep me busy but I’m not sure I can keep these guys rolling for too long-

Construction will not stop here-we can’t do this from home
    Can you get them to bring their lunches, make their own coffee, go straight home after work? In other words, keep their face-to-face contacts to a minimum number of people?

That's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

God this sucks. Good luck to you all!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where we live their contacts are pretty minimal really-we are together mostly.. I bring lunch most days and I truly feel about as isolated as you can be considering the absence of just locking down..

I’m thinking about this really-these guys are so good to me and for me, if I asked them to just bring clothes and stay at work for two weeks, they would.. each of these guys are my right hand.. I’m the one with a 12 year old I raise and a sick mother..

I’m just hoping I can figure out how to get them through-I will.. they are a resilient crew that don’t require much.

Simply the best dudes to surround yourself with-

Lucky for us we aren’t bound by the constraints of a city and mass transit and an apartment complex-I don’t mean that as a negative
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waiting on a bid opening Monday for a 10-figure high rise replacement hospital. We are expected to hit the ground on day 1 w/ plans to mobilize the big room for the overall team. Will be interesting to see how this impacts mobilization and expected project timeline.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYC just announced that, beginning 9:00 a.m. Tuesday, all restaurants and bars will be allowed to be open for food take-out and delivery only. A smart—but extremely difficult—move given that Tuesday is St. Patrick's day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Although I dislike DJT, this is the type of thing which is probably a plant via our good friends in Russia to sow anxiety and fear here.

It is originally from Welt am Sonntag a german paper. I'd be very skeptical. If I want to split Europe from America, then its the perfect story. If DJT really tried to do this, the best I can say is he is a 'useful idiot' . Gerhard Schroder is the former chancellor of Germany and a sellout now working for Gazprom and Rosneft.

I don't know if BI is a Russian front, but zeroHedge is.
    I've been trying to understand the jump from Springer's publications to Schröder but failed. Other than both being German, they're something akin to sworn enemies because the former tried to expose the latter's link to Russia whilst he was still in government. And, Springer went to great lengths to be able to write about it and took the case all the way up to the ECHR, if memory serves.

Help.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I was told that the fine in Spain for cycling is €3k. That's a hefty sum that says they're serious. Can someone confirm?
    Fines goes from 100€ (not following the quarantine) to 30000€ (deliberately exposing others to the virus). I think to reach 600€ you already have to disobey police and try to escape an ID control so €3k is highly unlikely from simply cycling.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 03-16-2020 at 04:59 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I've been trying to understand the jump from Springer's publications to Schröder but failed. Other than both being German, they're something akin to sworn enemies because the former tried to expose the latter's link to Russia whilst he was still in government. And, Springer went to great lengths to be able to write about it and took the case all the way up to the ECHR, if memory serves.

Help.
    Chik, you are right. It was a general reference to the extent Russian money has infiltrated German politics. I was unaware of the Springer court case. Since the story seemed to be corroborated by Health Ministry, I ate crow already in #579

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    Curious to hear what folks here who are in Australia are hearing.
    Long and short of it, so far at least, is mostly ‘business as usual’ - but I personally can’t see that lasting; even if purely because of the social pressures to change that.

I suspect - and sort of hope - we’ll be in a lockdown (of sorts) by the weekend.

My guess is the uni will have to adapt to accommodate your daughter’s situation. Given the state of things, it’s grossly unfair of them to attempt to force an outcome that negatively affects her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Long and short of it, so far at least, is mostly ‘business as usual’
    Which is a shame because to be most effective against the virus, and be the least harmful to the economy a lockdown would need to be worldwide and it would only have to last a month and a half or something given the incubation period.

With countries not being in sync this pandemia will drag for the whole year and even more.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's amazing how well Taiwan did at containing this. Shame on the rest of the world for not even remotely learning from this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Positives this is a once in a generation event hopefully and a good learning experience. That said I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more frequently. Last week at a Starbucks I observed 2 pigeons plowing through a guy’s €5 egg McMuffin. Two customers seated outside tried in vain to shoo the birds away. So when the guy arrived with his electric scooter he saw the birds enjoying his sandwich and the other customers gestured that they tried to stop it, but the guy sat down and proceeded to eat his sandwich anyway. He made no attempt to eat around any portions that were pecked by the pigeons.

Then look at parks where every day toddlers and kids touch bird poop and get it on their hands and clothes. It’s a miracle serious disease and viruses aren’t introduced to the public on a devastating scale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the category of best intentions -

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...96f_story.html

During the flu vaccine shortage, there was a great article - I think it was in the New Yorker - about the outsourcing of vaccine and pharmaceutical product fabrication to (largely) India and a few other places and what problems that created for national health management in times of crisis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is starting to look like a movie in Málaga.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Re: Covid19

I like how the police officer and film crew bros in those two pics are just rolling-the-dice and gambling with their/our lives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    It's amazing how well Taiwan did at containing this. Shame on the rest of the world for not even remotely learning from this.
    I think the difference is SARS countries and non-SARS countries. Singapore, HK, Taiwan, China all had the SARS panic in 2002/2003. I think this made for a public who already understood the drill.

There is also a bit of luck involved. Singapore was hit early with the business convention, otherwise their numbers would be even lower.

There must be 250,000+ infections unreported in Italy. The closed case mortality is 80+%.

For as bad as Korea was with the church group, new infections are <1% per day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There must be 250,000+ infections unreported in Italy.
    As well as in the other EU countries, the US and many other parts of the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The closed case mortality is 80+%.
    Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what is a "Closed Case" in this context. Nothing behind that question but I've not heard anything about an 80% mortality rate.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These mortality numbers are complete BS anyway as we have no idea of the amount of infected people. The minister of health yesterday said that at least 50% of infected people have no symptoms. People that have mild symptoms (like my bother and how daughter right now in Paris) are not tested because they do not have enough testing capacity and therefore is not counted. Sad state of affairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My nephew came back to the US a couple days ago from Europe and has cold symptoms. He got tested yesterday and awaits the results.

If one gets tested, how accurate are the results? Anyone work in this field able to comment?

Also, I was reading about the possibility of re-infection and it sounds as if the early rumors of that are largely unfounded though it is not impossible depending upon one's immune system health. The early cases of re-infection were sometimes chalked up to testing errors or cases where symptoms had subsided but flared up again. Again, anyone with knowledge able to comment?
    La Cheeserie!