Thread: What is this world coming to

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What is this world coming to

Quote Originally Posted by ABiCi View Post
    Have a read at this thread. Please tell me where vegetarians or vegans shoved anything down anyone's throat. The only hysteria has come from meat eaters.
    My comments are not directed to the exchange of views in this thread.

Rather, they are directed to militant vegans who do, for better or worse, shove their views down people's throats. I think the vast majority of reasonable people tire of this sort of carry on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    How is that possible? It's blended chick peas with some extra stuff in it. As long as you are not using tinned peas it should be easy, dare I say foolproof.

Hummus from ‘Jerusalem’ Recipe - NYT Cooking

Ottolenghi's Plenty cookbook is excellent for not pandering to those looking for meat taste in their veggies. However, most recipes there do pair exceptionally well with grilled lamb kebabs
    It isn't inedible, but it is missing something. I have no art.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ottolenghi's Plenty cookbook is excellent for not pandering to those looking for meat taste in their veggies. However, most recipes there do pair exceptionally well with grilled lamb kebabs
    I have a copy of Plenty More and it is excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    Just looked at their website. Definitely interested but also a little overwhelmed at the options. Recommendations?
    With the exception of the Marcella bean which is a type of cassoulet bean and smaller, I like all their big meaty beans. Cook the beans, drain but reserve some liquid, then spice and flavor the liquid and add it back to the bean to be served. Simple like that is surprisingly good. This isn't an overwhelming taste like some of the meat barbecues mentioned above. More of a healthy hearty taste. Subtle. In soups, they really punch up the nourishment. And saving the bean broth is part of the secret. I don't do it enough, mostly because I forget and just toss everything into a colander. But it adds some substance to the soup or however you serve the beans.

Cranberry beans

Marcella bean

Rio Zape bean

Scarlet Runner bean

Royal Corona bean

And staples like black beans and pinto beans seem silly to buy from Rancho Gordo, but their beans have been harvested and dried no longer than a year, so the taste is different. So it is worth trying even "normal" beans from them. I was just at a place upstate (NY) that uses Rancho Gordo beans, and they had some of the red beans cooked up to be served in one of their burritos. I should have just asked for a bowl of beans and rice, because the burrito was meh but the beans were great - texture, flavor, etc.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-15-2019 at 05:59 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    It isn't inedible, but it is missing something. I have no art.
    Maybe your Tahini brand? Ottawa has a large MidEastern community (Shawarma is the default late night food) and their grocers sell this one by the skid.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With the exception of the Marcella bean which is a type of cassoulet bean and smaller, I like all their big meaty beans. Cook the beans, drain but reserve some liquid, then spice and flavor the liquid and add it back to the bean to be served. Simple like that is surprisingly good. This isn't an overwhelming taste like some of the meat barbecues mentioned above. More of a healthy hearty taste. Subtle. In soups, they really punch up the nourishment. And saving the bean broth is part of the secret. I don't do it enough, mostly because I forget and just toss everything into a colander. But it adds some substance to the soup or however you serve the beans.

Cranberry beans

Marcella bean

Rio Zape bean

Scarlet Runner bean

Royal Corona bean

And staples like black beans and pinto beans seem silly to buy from Rancho Gordo, but their beans have been harvested and dried no longer than a year, so the taste is different. So it is worth trying even "normal" beans from them. I was just at a place upstate (NY) that uses Rancho Gordo beans, and they had some of the red beans cooked up to be served in one of their burritos. I should have just asked for a bowl of beans and rice, because the burrito was meh but the beans were great - texture, flavor, etc.
    Thanks. Beans ordered and a book. Very curious to see how this goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rancho gordo beans are the bomb
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe your Tahini brand? Ottawa has a large MidEastern community (Shawarma is the default late night food) and their grocers sell this one by the skid.
    Hmm, possibly. I need to go to Kalustyan’s (NYC fixture) for other things, so I’ll look there.

I know Einat Admony puts baking soda in her hummus and that is one of my favorites in NYC (Taim Falafel is her shop) so I may try that too.

A lot of these hummus recipes feel like they are reverse engineering. Like they made the hummus the way grandma did and then someone asked them to write down the recipe and they had to translate grandma into teaspoons and tablespoons.
    Last edited by j44ke; 01-16-2019 at 12:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Beans ordered and a book. Very curious to see how this goes.
    Excellent. To soak or not to soak - the owner says the beans are so fresh you can cook them without soaking. Seems like if you do it his way, you are less likely to overcook them. But it means watching them while cooking for a longer amount of time. If you soak them, it cuts the cooking time down. Just keep them slightly al dente and they’ll taste even better on the 2nd day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent. To soak or not to soak - the owner says the beans are so fresh you can cook them without soaking. Seems like if you do it his way, you are less likely to overcook them. But it means watching them while cooking for a longer amount of time. If you soak them, it cuts the cooking time down. Just keep them slightly al dente and they’ll taste even better on the 2nd day.
    Soaking beans also removes oligosaccharides which exist in the skins/outer layer regardless of the freshness of the beans. They are water soluble so soaking (and then discarding the soaking water) gets rid of them, making the beans easier to digest and less likely to cause the unfortunate side-effect so often associated with beans..
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    Soaking beans also removes oligosaccharides which exist in the skins/outer layer regardless of the freshness of the beans. They are water soluble so soaking (and then discarding the soaking water) gets rid of them, making the beans easier to digest and less likely to cause the unfortunate side-effect so often associated with beans..
    did not know this and will work in a little soaking. some instructions say to soak for an hour and others over night. any thoughts on this for cooking generally and to ensure removal of the oligosaccharides?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love where this thread went. Bravo!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    vSalon - where a thread poking fun at vegans ends up in people buy artisinal beans and discussing the best way to prepare them.

Long live vSalon!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

did not know this and will work in a little soaking. some instructions say to soak for an hour and others over night. any thoughts on this for cooking generally and to ensure removal of the oligosaccharides?
    The plateau for oligosaccharide removal via soaking arrives at about 9 hours (i.e. after that there is no real benefit to continuing, though also no harm). This is considering a slightly alkaline water (i.e. a touch above pH 7). If you're not sure of the pH of your water, assume it is neutral and add a small amount of baking soda to bring the pH up. 1/4-1/3 tsp per gallon of water does the trick. About a gallon of water per kilo of beans is the general ratio to avoid saturating the water with oligosaccharides. Also, heat increases the transfer of oligosaccharides so you can actually boil the alkaline water and pour it over the beans, then leave for about half the time (4,5hr) with similar effect. That's not to say that an hour in neutral water won't do anything, but if you're looking to really get rid of the oligosaccharides the formula from studies on the matter is 9hr, pH 7,5-8.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't wait for the "Your Favorite Band Sucks!!!" thread !!

- Garro.
    Last edited by steve garro; 01-17-2019 at 03:13 PM.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    rancho gordo beans are the bomb
    Here is a great article on life and rancho gordo beans.

It is well worth the read for everyone I would think.

The Hunt for Mexico’s Heirloom Beans | The New Yorker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I can't wait for the "Your Favorite Band Sucks!!!" thread !!

- Garro.
    We will all end up trading Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets, Alejandro Escovedo and St. Vincent bootlegs.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    The plateau for oligosaccharide removal via soaking arrives at about 9 hours (i.e. after that there is no real benefit to continuing, though also no harm). This is considering a slightly alkaline water (i.e. a touch above pH 7). If you're not sure of the pH of your water, assume it is neutral and add a small amount of baking soda to bring the pH up. 1/4-1/3 tsp per gallon of water does the trick. About a gallon of water per kilo of beans is the general ratio to avoid saturating the water with oligosaccharides. Also, heat increases the transfer of oligosaccharides so you can actually boil the alkaline water and pour it over the beans, then leave for about half the time (4,5hr) with similar effect. That's not to say that an hour in neutral water won't do anything, but if you're looking to really get rid of the oligosaccharides the formula from studies on the matter is 9hr, pH 7,5-8.
    That's interesting. Maybe because the beans are relatively fresh, I haven't experienced any problems even when I just cook them for a few hours without soaking.

We will all end up trading Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets, Alejandro Escovedo and St. Vincent bootlegs.
    There is a lot about foodie culture now that reminds me of the language used in pot culture back in the 80's. A lot of scurrying around little shops and ethnic neighborhoods and word of mouth recommendations. Pretty hilarious and I am as much a participant in it as amused by it. A number of years ago we visited friends in Boston and they sent us to a cheese shop to buy some unpasteurized cheese that required some sort of wink or finger point (can't remember now) before a tray of cheeses magically appeared from under the counter so you could select your favorite. My wife and I laughed all the way back to the apartment, because it felt like buying pot in college.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only use baking soda for chick peas (soaked overnight). Otherwise they never seem to get fully cooked.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a lot about foodie culture now that reminds me of the language used in pot culture back in the 80's. A lot of scurrying around little shops and ethnic neighborhoods and word of mouth recommendations. Pretty hilarious and I am as much a participant in it as amused by it. A number of years ago we visited friends in Boston and they sent us to a cheese shop to buy some unpasteurized cheese that required some sort of wink or finger point (can't remember now) before a tray of cheeses magically appeared from under the counter so you could select your favorite. My wife and I laughed all the way back to the apartment, because it felt like buying pot in college.
    I haven't patronized one of our new emporiums yet.
    But visiting a dispensary in Seattle a couple years back left me cold.
    The sales patter was all about the nature of the high.
    Whatever.
    I'd rather sip a nice whisk(e)y, OK?
    GO!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast