Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Dog attack. What would you do now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dog attack. What would you do now?

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Sounds like it has worked for you in the past... but it has never, ever worked for me. On the few times I've tried it it's had absolutely no discernable effect.
    Yeah, me neither. I've had much more success just turning on the dog, screaming/snarling at 'em, and generally getting in their face. That works for every dog I've encountered...never had a truly BAD dog after me. My game plan for if I ever did is to stop and use the bike or anything else at hand to basically beat the shit out of them. Dunno if that'll actually work or even if it proves out in the heat of an attack, but I know with human fights...you always bet on the crazier combatant...so I'm going with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RickM View Post
    Yeah, me neither. I've had much more success just turning on the dog, screaming/snarling at 'em, and generally getting in their face. That works for every dog I've encountered...never had a truly BAD dog after me. My game plan for if I ever did is to stop and use the bike or anything else at hand to basically beat the shit out of them. Dunno if that'll actually work or even if it proves out in the heat of an attack, but I know with human fights...you always bet on the crazier combatant...so I'm going with that.
    It also works for drunk rednecks who try to run you off the road, then get out of their shitty truck at the next intersection to yell at you for being faggy.

Putting your bike between yourself and a hostile actor, then threatening to hit them with the bike works pretty well.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been chased a couple times but both times I've lucked out. The first time, I was running on a main road and a big german shepard darted towards me from the other side of the road. Luckily for me, an oncoming car hit the dog. The dog literally did two 360° spins on the tarmac and trotted back to it's owner. It was unbelievable. I ran the hell out of there quick. I was in High School when that happened and didnt think for a second to report anything.

The second time was last year and I was on the road bike. Another german shepard ran towards me just as I had finished a hard effort. I was about cross eyed as it were and I was also soft pedaling toward a stop sign a hundred yards away. Seeing this dog running towards me, with nothing impeding its path, scared me shitless. I suppose instinct took over and I ended up off in somebody's lawn trying to sprint away. For whatever reason, the dog got half way across the road and stopped. I think that I was able to sprint just enough to clear the dog's line of attack. that and the fact that I was yelling, maybe the dog realized that I wasnt the right target. Whatever the reason it stopped, I was rattled for a while after that one. I never reported the incident. In my mind, I hadn't been attacked, nor had I damaged my bike, so I questioned whether or not to report it. Looking back, I still feel bad about it and think I had a responsibility to at least make the phone call. I wont make that mistake again.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Gray View Post
    However, I think all cyclist should understand that you should not try to run/ride away from an aggressive dog. Large breed dogs can easily hit 25-30 MPH. Fleeing from them only further triggers their hunt instinct.
    I have never been willing to test this theory. And in the OP's situation with 2 dogs, it simply would have no chance of working. Dogs are great at teamwork, you can get the bike between you and one dog, but the second dog will just run around behind you and have his way. Best to use your best command voice and yell "No!" while riding out of their territory. That has always worked for me, I think because then they recognize you as human. Not going to say it will work for everyone. If it doesn't work, or the dog gets too close before you notice, my history of punching dogs has been more successful than kicking them. I always miss with the kicks. Of course, that means the dogs have always missed me too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    The chance here is to train the owners. Request their homeowner's insurance info. Photograph all the damage, make an itemized list, and request reimbursement.

Then forgive, but don't forget.

Tee Aitch.

That's the smart approach.

I love dogs, but if I had to maim one that was aggressing me, I would do just that. Eat or be eaten. I was chased by a pitbull once that ended up just giving up before actually taking a chunk out of me. I never look at PBs the same way and that was when I was 20yrs old. I would have killed it if I had to / could do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The barkless dog that suddenly appears over your shoulder at full stride is the one that wants to hurt you.

Bottle squirt has worked several times to confuse them temporarily until I'm not in their territory. But usually a sharp "HEEAA!" (like breaking board with my karate hand) yell and just NOT letting them in front of me (they obviously don't recognize I have TRP cantis) usually works.

95% are softies. Some know my leg well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Usually, simply yelling no very loudly will stop a dog in its tracks. However, the problem with dogs is often that you are traveling fast and they come out of nowhere. I'm far more worried about getting knocked off my bike by a dog--like happened to a friend years ago on a ride I was leading--than getting bit.

Re this
    Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but theoretically speaking if you shot a dog that chased / attacked you would that be considered self-defense? SD only applies to one's property right i.e. you can't pack a nine in public right?
    you can pack if you have a license to do so but you might run into some rust problems and its got to be pretty hard to sling lead accurately off a moving bicycle. And, the authorities are always skeptical about self defense claims. But, because of the size of some dogs, I'd probably opt for 40 or 45 over 9.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet.
    The best thing to do is yell GET OFF THE FCKING COUCH

Works everytime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, Canadian NPR had a show called DNTO on over the weekend that was all about bikes. It opened with a rider who recounted a wolf in the Yukon which chased him down while doing a extended tour...it reminded me of this thread.

The whole program is well worth the listen
    Where did your bicycle take you? | DNTO with Sook-Yin Lee | CBC Radio
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--- hammer the fat lady that let the rascal loose by hitting the wrong lever on his retractable leach.., into the street..

... 37 stitches above eye corner, 23 staples in my head , 3 broken back ribs and a collapsed lung --- & week in hospital, 7 yrs back..
    almost as much damage as prior paddies of rice..

not the canines fault with a almost bite, but smile,

ronnie

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    Re this you can pack if you have a license to do so but you might run into some rust problems and its got to be pretty hard to sling lead accurately off a moving bicycle. And, the authorities are always skeptical about self defense claims. But, because of the size of some dogs, I'd probably opt for 40 or 45 over 9.
    I'm not licensed to carry, nor am I trained to use a firearm outside of a hunter's safety course and some recreational hunting and shooting here or there. That said, I can't imagine fumbling with any firearms while on a bicycle, while being chased by a dog. It happens so quickly that if you have to reach around to your pocket, I think you've made yourself even more vulnerable and are too late. In order to get to the gun (or mace, for that matter) in time, you'll need to see the bastard coming form pretty far out. And whats to say that the dog doesnt stop at the invisible fence?

I dont want to reach for a weapon every time I pass a dog. But I also dont want to be attacked.

There needs to be a better way and unfortunately each and every scenario is different. I'll yell like a mofo at any unfamiliar dog that looks like a threat and hope for the best. Outside of that, I'll either try to out sprint the thing, ride toward it like I'm a crazed maniac or stop and stand my ground. Realistically, it's going to be whatever instinctual reaction I have at the time... I can talk about it all till I'm blue in the face but I have no idea what I'll actually do in the heat of the moment.

It's a risk we all take, just like getting out there with the asshats that are behind the wheel on any given road in the world. If shit happens -- and it will -- we have to hope that things work out well for us.

Next time, maybe one of the phrases I yell will be what D-CT recommends. Most of the "bad dogs" I've encountered like to ignore their known commands anyway. At least they might be used to or react to profanity with some angst behind it.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frame pump, full swing. My response to America's anthropomorphism epidemic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha ha! I love it! 'Canadian NPR'!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    Okay, Canadian NPR had a show called DNTO on over the weekend that was all about bikes. It opened with a rider who recounted a wolf in the Yukon which chased him down while doing a extended tour...it reminded me of this thread.

The whole program is well worth the listen
    Where did your bicycle take you? | DNTO with Sook-Yin Lee | CBC Radio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to try D-CT's next time "Hey, pup, how's it going?" doesn't work. That's for the barky ones I am more worried about being too friendly and jumping on me. I'm concerned we get tangled and one or more of us fall over. Only a couple of times in the last year have I got the silent ones where the first thing I heard was the claws on the pavement. Looking back and seeing one head down ears flat coming full bore with no noise is a bit of a start. One I tried to outrun and was able to only by just a foot or two, I probably won't try that again because I am just not that fast. The other was a Rottweiller on a significant uphill, I had to stop and roar. I may not have scared the dog but I sure scared the owner with a fear and adrenaline filled screaming rant. I don't believe I've ever seen that dog again and I ride past there a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Gray View Post
    However, I think all cyclist should understand that you should not try to run/ride away from an aggressive dog. Large breed dogs can easily hit 25-30 MPH. Fleeing from them only further triggers their hunt instinct.
    I know that I'm way slow, and certainly no Abdoujaparov, but if it isn't a climb I'd give myself a fair chance of making it up to 32 mph before Fido got to me. I have no idea how far he'll be able to sprint at that speed, but every time I've had a dog(s) chase me on flat ground they gave up before my legs gave out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't get off the bike. If the dog is a Rottweiler or a pit bull, you have no chance even with a bike between you and the dog. Your best bet is to sprint past the dog's house. They will usually stop chasing after you get too far away. And if you are THAT slow, just squirt some water in the doggie's face and then start pedaling like you mean it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am always surprised that people have the presence of mind to use the water bottle squirt technique when a dog is close enough for this to be effective.

My general instinct is to try to out sprint the dog*, but I am trying to train myself to turn directly at it when possible and shout loudly. This seems to work well for small dogs, but luckily have never had to try this with a larger breed.

For those who advocate the water bottle squirt do you do this at full speed and how close is the dog? Anyone tried throwing a water bottle at the dog as an offering?

*I set my all time 5-second power high this way. Amazing how much better muscle reaction works than when you are consciously trying to sprint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there was a large dog near here on a very steep hill -- everyone thought the dog was vicious. He certainly had that appearance to me. One day, I rode up the hill and he came charging from behind the house with enough speed that if he ran into me I wasn't going to stay up. I yelled, "no!" at him and he stopped in his tracks. It's not going to work on some dogs, fortunately I haven't met up with those dogs yet.

On the subject of out-sprinting dogs, I'm generally more afraid of hitting one and going down, so I don't sprint. The vast majority of dogs aren't going to bite you. Years ago, I went out on a long ride with someone who bonked at just about the same time we met up with a great dane that was just roaming around. We tried to get rid of the dog, but he just followed us. I sent the other rider ahead, and tried to out-sprint the dog. Didn't work, he just loped along beside me. Finally we got to a hill and he couldn't keep up. I thought I was going to have to adopt him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kind of have it easy down here in Mexico as most real urban cyclist (landscaping and construction guys) usually carry a big ass stick strapped to the bikes and they use it heavily on any dog that dare to cross its path, most dogs learn quickly who is the boss, the one that don't get poisoned in a couple of days, not very humane but effective and no real need to lawyer up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dog attacks on cyclists or runners are a serious problem and a recent incident here in Michigan magnifies that:

Couple Whose Dogs Fatally Mauled Jogger Charged With Murder « CBS Detroit
    Riding with a live hornet in your mouth is not advised.:eek: