Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speaking of Hamburgers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Speaking of Hamburgers

I like making the patty very very thin like a fast food one, really smoosh that thing down, burn it. Burgers that are 10 inches tall are annoying to eat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we used to do the burgs with the garlic jalapeno and salt pepper mixed in
    then the lady went to germany for six weeks and i ate so many burgers out of 80/20 chuck cooked in the skillet
    experimented with that because i had an absolutely amazing burger when our band toured and stopped in louisville KY. i still rmember it, so much fat, lots of pink in the center and not overdone with too many extras, it blew my mind

so lately i've been making the pattys before the lady can try to add the egg and all that extra shit
    just a good uniform patty with some salt and course pepper
    grilled over charcoal and add some real wood as the coals get going real well, get the fire as hot as you can and don't overcook it

one other thing has been doing it for me lately (not just burgers, brisket sandwhiches too) is the kings sweet hawaiian buns. the lady works at a pretty amazing ramen shop here and they do sliders with the smaller rolls. insane.

i've got big thick ribeyes and NY strips perfected on the weber, now i gotta work on the burgers

oh yeah, made some really good burgers a few weeks ago out of prime ground round. same process just a different meat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and i'm just gonna throw this out there too
    there is a bakery by my work that i usually make a stop by twice a week coz i can just roll my bike right on in, i get a baguette and some other pastry and put my pannier to good use

so slice the baguette at a good angle to get some real length going...not sliced like sub sandwhich...
    then i make two small sandwiches to take to work
    mayo and a good spicy mustard, salt, pepper, onion, chard or lettuce out of the garden
    what takes it over the top though...a few good bread and butter pickles on each sandwich.
    i do this with smoked brisket, tri-tip, pork tenderloin, or any kind of lunch meat...i eat lots of sandwiches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NSFW,

My BFF Otis and I had a good laugh at this when we were kids, as it seemed so true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

image.jpg
    American Kobe sliders on brioche with truffle mayo and white cheddar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Burgers on the grill tonight I like a 6oz pattie 4 is a bit small and 8 to much. Make em a little larger than the bun to allow for shrinkage, hot grill for a good char. Oh but when I was a short order cook, I loved to cook burgers on a flat top grill, dice onions and start them in clarified butter when they started to brown put a ball of ground beef in the center and mash with your spatula thinner the better salt and pepper. Nothing better than a well seasoned grill.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to Chaminade University of Honolulu after high school. A local favorite is rice as your base. Hamburger patty, fried egg then gravy. Called a Loco Moco.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercook62 View Post
    I went to Chaminade University of Honolulu after high school. A local favorite is rice as your base. Hamburger patty, fried egg then gravy. Called a Loco Moco.
    Wow. I've had the fried egg and it's not entirely unwelcome esp. after a beer or three....not sure why....I'll have to recreate the scenario and get back ;)

Just had heavily flamed burgers served to the crowd watching Germany win. The grill was so hot I lost half the hair on my arms. Butcher only had 90(something)/10 it was just fine.

A simple burger might be one of g-ds perfect foods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good beef? Just leave it good beef. When your whiteface herefords come running for the corn shucks and stalks you throw over the fence as the garden ages out those are good beef. They know their food, you get some of that knowledge when the one that knows too much breaks the fence and goes for the corn before you're done with it and you have to send it to Miller Bibens' slaughterhouse. Those burgers you make with nothing added. That beef, you need to eat as just beef and know what beef is.

When you live in the Dorptown and you get 80/20 from the store you put a sweet onion in the food processor and chop it up all into little bits and juice and then a handful of the oregano that grows by the back porch door. Mix that all up in there and put it on the hottest grill you can get, make a nice crust on both sides. Stop then.

In both cases, the roll is crucial. You need something that can balance, whatever it is. A good potato roll, a crusty slice of Perecca's, a Coffee Cup bakery roll, it has to have strength. Choice of pickles is important, too. Crisp with snap and primary notes of vinegar and salt.

Speaking of corn = is there anything better than picking corn, walking up the hill and peeling it, putting it in the water and eating it 6 minutes later other than maybe roasting it like that? Or peas shelled in the garden and eaten right then? Damn, I love summer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123