User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: E(very) D(ay) C(arry) and knives - any primers (Atwoods etc.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: E(very) D(ay) C(arry) and knives - any primers (Atwoods etc.)

I picked up a $25 Gerber Paraframe II fine edge at some mega-outdoor store called Scheels in Sioux Falls, SD - kind of a cross between a Bass Pro/Cabela's and the Kittery Trading Post. It was my EDC from there on out until I had it sitting in my lap in the car, parked in some lot in Philly, got up, and it tumbled out unnoticed. I lost a wallet in a cab that way once. What a pisser.

Anyway, my mom replaced it for me with the serrated version, which I thought I would find inferior and a pain to deal with (sharpening and whatnot), but I've actually had occasion to use the serrated portion (brush, tree limbs, etc.), so it's been nice. One hand open and close of the 3" blade with the thumb peg and the frame lock, which for me is huge. For the price, can't beat it, and it's no great loss if you deep six it. Doesn't seem to hold an edge quite as long as a higher grade steel, but sharpens up real nice. Only weighs 2.5 oz., and super easy to clean - I even run it through the dishwasher. Great deal.

gerber-paraframe-II-stainless-serrated-knife.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Leatherman in one form or another is always nearby. A full-sized one in the car and a Juice in my knapsack. There are times that you gotta have pliers. The Kershaw Ken Onion 1635 is the bigger knife pictured below. It goes with me anywhere I expect I will need a knife (hiking, for example) but I find that it can be intimidating for routine use around people not accustomed to seeing people carrying knives. The smaller 1600 is perfect for pocketing when you don't want people to know you have a knife...though Hershey Park security somehow managed to see the clip last summer and asked me to leave the park! Both of them have been flawless, just wish I had more opportunity and use for the bigger one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    A Leatherman in one form or another is always nearby.
    This too.
    Just got a new one that the pliers open on their own, spring activated - VERY handy with a fish in one hand.
    Man, I have fixed 1000's of things with a Leatherman - great replacement policy for when they die as well = free!
    - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a decent, way inexpensive carry knife that you do not care if it gets away from you, it is hard to beat the Gerber LST. I have a Benchmade that I really like as well. http://www.benchmade.com/products/530 I recently acquired a Spyderco Delica that I am very impressed with (light, good quality). http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=334

The old, original Swiss Army issue knife that was given to all soldiers for years (recently replaced with a larger, more complicated model) is also a great small carry knife. A prior poster had a photo of it. It is now called the Pioneer. http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swi...orinox+pioneer

I have been given a number of collector knives made by former Tucson resident Hans Weinmuller. Very cool knives with some real artistry in the builds. Sadly, he just moved back to Austria. Knife-Hans custom handmade Folders - knife-hanss jimdo page!

It is interesting that so many posters have commented on the knife that their father gave them...I still have the one I got from my Dad lonnnggg ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDC for a knife-phobic workplace, been carrying one of these for at least 30 years (current one is actually toxic green), use it every day
    Classic SD silver alox Pocket Knife, Swiss Army, Swiss Army Classic SD silver alox Pocket Knife

The one hidden in my bag, a friction folder similar to the bottom knife in this photo, without the grommet
    http://www.michaelmorrisknives.com/r...7_100_3537.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    This too.
    Just got a new one that the pliers open on their own, spring activated - VERY handy with a fish in one hand.
    Man, I have fixed 1000's of things with a Leatherman - great replacement policy for when they die as well = free!
    - Garro.
    Today I used mine to saw detents into a flat screen box that was fixed to a bike rack that nearly went the speed limit...

Oh hell never mind. The irony of it all...
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benchmade! I've got 3, the oldest of which is currently in my pocket where it has been since 1997 (a 905). I've got a newer unit (a 940) that is a superior product though - Benchmade's Axis-lock is second to none, absolute best in the industry imho. That one I've had for about 10yrs and trade with the 905 as EDC fairly frequently. Finally my wife and I have a pair laser-engraved 733s that my brother gave us on our wedding day. Those have never cut anything.

*images listed as posted

laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing fancy here, but my somewhat skinny jeans usually contain either a Spyderco Chicago or a Kershaw Leek. Both are cheap with very good blades and compact size. I lose stuff like this frequently, and they get scratched all to hell, so cheap is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I have allot of knives.
    This is my current favorite - it's fantastic.
    Spyderco Navaja
    - Garro.
    +1 for the Navaja. I carry one every day and it is there when I need it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Gotcha. I've got a small Buck lockback that dad carried and when carrying it I'm always aware of it's presence. These things have such amazing value to only us.
    I just found this while looking for something in boxes I still haven't unpacked since moving. Not sure why it wasn't with the rest of the knives, but finding it immediately reminded me of this thread. This was in my grandfather's EDC rotation through much of my childhood. He gave it to me in my teens and I carried it for a while until getting my much, much lighter Benchmade. Damn thing is hefty. The blade is still crazy sharp, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the stuff Matt. Heavy as heck, brass and made for abuse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meant to reply to this one while it was still reasonably fresh, but oh well, it's still relevant.

Got one of these for Christmas from my Brother-in-law. B.W. Baker Peasant Knife from New Zealand.
    large-sv6378.jpg

It's basically the love child of an Opinel, a Mora and a drop point hunting knife. These things can be had super cheap and with very little work I had it sharp enough to shave with. It's a bit big for a true EDC, but since I work from my house I've been carrying it every day since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to say I carry two (or three), but then realized that I keep two more live in-the-truck. So really I'm carrying 2-5 at all times.

The latest acquisition was a Spyderco C36G, in response to handling Toots' C36G (as well as honing). Before that point in time I didn't realize that Spyderco manufactured anything on the Continent Domesticus, and as much or more so-I love the size of it. It's about 20% bigger than your (my) average locking, pocket-clipped, single-bladed, utility, everyday, folding knife. Thanks to Josh for the exposure.

Spyderco Military

Then I always keep at least one other folder clipped on. Usually an Oregon Gerber and a Montana-made automatic (but the auto is out-of-place presently). I use the least sharp knife on my side for utility work, saving the sharp/clean one for delicate things like foods and personal surgeries.

I also keep a Buck 105 (fixed) as well as a chinaGerber (as above, metal scales/frame combo) in strategic positions of the motor vehicle.

I own those old 3-blade carbon steelies but can't carry them(anymore). They wear out pockets (or my hide) and rust from the sweat. I do use high-carbon blades in the kitchen and bath (superior edges), but not for daily carry. Use stainless when it makes sense.

And also, but wait there is more: I slapped some scales onto pre-ground Green River blanks in 2012 to make a SS parer for me mum and a skinning knife for meself. We are both quite pleased.

If it ain't sharp, it's just another hunk of metal..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad the case knives get some love here. I've been a long time owner of Case Canoe knives, probably since I was 12 or 14. I get a new one every year or so and give the older ones to my boys. This thread reminded me to pass another down and get another from its box.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the credit W.P. however it all belongs to Mr. Garro. That D2 steel is so easy to keep sharp.
    Jon - That Case is very similar to a birthday gift I gave Queen a few years back. It lives in her Coach daily carry....there you have it CDC...I said it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post

And also, but wait there is more: I slapped some scales onto pre-ground Green River blanks in 2012 to make a SS parer for me mum and a skinning knife for meself. We are both quite pleased.

If it ain't sharp, it's just another hunk of metal..
    I just did the same to another pre-ground blade, but I made the handles. Denim Fibre consisting of 4 layers of black denim and 12 layers of hot pink denim I scored at goodwill in the form of hot pink size 3 Capri pants from the ladies aisle for $2.99. The color isn't quote right in the pic. It's pink, a really good pink. Next up is an African Big Game skinning blade with a menacing gut hook done up with Gay pride rainbow Denim Handles. I just love a good juxtaposition that creates the ridiculously absurd.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, my skinning gnife is a hooker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nevermind the ugly bevel, that was fixed. 25 year-old bodock handle from tree i felled and took to the mill. slight mods to the tang. cold-blued german steel. Didn't have opportunity to use it this year, but have used it once or twice (as intended).

If i was forced to pick a nit, I'd say that the blade is a bit lighter than I'd prefer. But then i've been ruined by a Deba proper in the kitchen. Hell i even prefer a big heavy blade for a razor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prcrstn8 View Post
    The one hidden in my bag, a friction folder similar to the bottom knife in this photo, without the grommet
    http://www.michaelmorrisknives.com/r...7_100_3537.JPG
    That Michael Morris is lovely! Just dropped him an email to see what the wait was.
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't obviously carry this on my person, but it's near always.