Thread: Double-Edge Safety Razor Guidance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Double-Edge Safety Razor Guidance

Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    I have been known to make mistakes from time to time.

Knowing that, a strait razor seems to be setting the bar a bit high. A mistake with my safety razor is a pain, I bleed for a while, sometimes scab and people know that I made that mistake. I am pretty careful however and mistakes are few. It is worth it. But the cost of a mistake with that long sharp blade of a strait razor seems to costly. I do shave in a hurry sometimes, I try not to, attempt to plan to take all the time needed, but no strait razors for me.
    One thing to add to the discussion is to buy an Alum block from one of the shave supply folks. $10 or so and it will last you a lifetime. If you cut yourself, and you will occasionally do so with a DE razor, quickly run the alum block under running water and then wipe across the cut. Presto. Bleeding stops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of the threads on here about DE razors and actually being a proper man have got to me so I went and ordered a Merkur 23C and a basic boar brush. Now on my second shave and I just wanted to say thanks to all of you for being obsessive about this and recommending it. I found it surprisingly easy and the typical irritation I get around the throat isn't quite as bad as it used to be.

Also, as you all already know, there is something beautiful about whipping/ whisking up that shaving lather in the morning. 60 seconds work and so much better. I still find it kind of cool how a small lump of Proraso can go so far.

Below is a picture of the basic setup. I'll add another soon of a new badger brush which I got via a recommendation from this forum from TJR - Rakowski handmade products - who is a great guy to buy from. Can't wait to receive it.

First experience with a DE and brush by TomEats, on Flickr

So the question has to be; what the hell else am I now doing that I should :/
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Murkur razors just went on sale at MyHabit. If you are not a member, you can join through this link (mods delete that link of this sort of invite is not cool):

MYHABIT

The Futur is on sale for $69 and the Vision (I have one in the cart, but it seems silly to replace a Futur that I love) is on sale for $139.

These are my absolute favorite razors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DrZRM View Post

The Futur is on sale for $69 and the Vision (I have one in the cart, but it seems silly to replace a Futur that I love) is on sale for $139.

These are my absolute favorite razors.
    I love my futur, but would be open to looking at something new, (kind of like bicycles) if there is any good reason. My one gripe about my futur is that it has a smooth handle and I would prefer knurled, when it is wet. I may go have a local machinist find a way to rough it up.

-d
    [email protected]

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TomW - TJR is one of our own, he's a rider too. Cool guy and I've got a great brush he made for me several years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking forever about dipping the handle of my Futur into that liquid rubber stuff. Somebody must have tried it, but I'm not capable of sifting through the posts at the various shaving forums (though I can read bike forums all day, go figure). I wonder if it would stick to something that slick or if you would have to take a grinder to it (shudder) first.

I love my futur, but would be open to looking at something new, (kind of like bicycles) if there is any good reason. My one gripe about my futur is that it has a smooth handle and I would prefer knurled, when it is wet. I may go have a local machinist find a way to rough it up.

-d

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must be the only guy the never has issues with the Futur slipping (and I prefer the look, even on other razors).

Make sure you're rinsing off any soap after each pass, water never made it slippery for me. You can also run your fingers over your alum block to give it some extra grip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alum block?? I am missing something.

if I do not dry my hands and the razor about every 30 seconds or so, I am dealing with a slippery razor

Quote Originally Posted by -HvA- View Post
    I must be the only guy the never has issues with the Futur slipping (and I prefer the look, even on other razors).

Make sure you're rinsing off any soap after each pass, water never made it slippery for me. You can also run your fingers over your alum block to give it some extra grip.
    [email protected]

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind just the wet, but I rub some oil on my face to soften the hair before
    I lather, and I have to wash and dry my hands well, or the razor is totally unmanageable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alum block?? I am missing something.
    I splash water everywhere, never have an issue, funny how that works :)

Alum is usually used right after your shave. It's a mild antiseptic, tightens the skin, closes small cuts. I apply it after I wash my face with warm water to get the soap off, then I rinse the alum off with cold water and apply lotion or aftershave.

Dirt cheap too, try it sometime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    TomW - TJR is one of our own, he's a rider too. Cool guy and I've got a great brush he made for me several years ago.
    TooTall - I think it was a comment from you or someone else a while ago which stuck in my mind and led to me ordering one with TJR. I just received it and have to say wow. It is beautiful. TJR was absolutely solid to deal with and I now kind of wished I smoked pipes or needed a handmade pen so I could order something else from him.

Picture of it boxfresh below. Almost looking forward to shaving tomorrow.

Rakowski horn badger shaving brush by TomEats, on Flickr
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomW View Post
    All of the threads on here about DE razors and actually being a proper man have got to me so I went and ordered a Merkur 23C and a basic boar brush.
    That's not a 23C. Looks like a 34C maybe. 23C is the long-handled one which is slightly head-heavy.

I've got a 23C, for what it's worth. Anyone have an opinion on a Jagger DE89L as a second razor? I'm very very happy with my 23C - but keen to try something new. Jagger or Muhle 41 seem interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super nice. I like the handle alot. Give the brush some time to break in. That's a lather machine.

Quote Originally Posted by TomW View Post
    TooTall - I think it was a comment from you or someone else a while ago which stuck in my mind and led to me ordering one with TJR. I just received it and have to say wow. It is beautiful. TJR was absolutely solid to deal with and I now kind of wished I smoked pipes or needed a handmade pen so I could order something else from him.

Picture of it boxfresh below. Almost looking forward to shaving tomorrow.

Rakowski horn badger shaving brush by TomEats, on Flickr

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123