Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Core Workouts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Core Workouts

I've been doing Pilates for 20 years. I was a certified teacher (got some of my training from the Masters) and had my own studio. I used my teacher's studio as a model and operated my studio as an "open gym" and trained my clients to be self-reliant. My advice: first get enough guided experience to get a good understanding of proper body mechanics, and then, if you want, branch out on your own. Get a Reformer if you can afford one or focus on the Matwork which is the foundation of the method.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

olympic lifts and free weights

squat, dead lift, power cleans

I like abominal pikes and supermans on the balance ball

yeah, I know that the research on lifting is equivocal. I'll side with Joe Friel and our own Too Tall and say if you can't ride 25 hours a week, get in the gym.

for extra fun, do some split squat jumps or tuck jumps right after your squat sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20 mins. of Pilates than this...me sore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    20 mins. of Pilates than this...me sore

Just sayin... I've been sayin...

KB's rock the core.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a swimmer for a long time (HS, college) until I tore my rotator cuff and had to quit. I also love to lift, but after 15 years thought I had plateaued semi-permanently--hadn't made substantive progress in a few years. I ride a fair bit--10-20 hours/week, depending on the season, work, etc.

This article changed the way I lift, probably forever, and has made me stronger than I was in my early 20s. Some good core exercises in there for cyclists, but as far as getting rid of back pain from riding or sitting in a chair all day, Core Performance by Mark Versteegen has made me a believer. 10-30 minutes of exercises, 6 days a week (I don't do his strength or cardio routines) has made me a stronger rider and generally better athlete. Can't say enough good stuff about it--it's helped my wife and also my mother (mid-60s) with various injuries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sladejw View Post
    ...This article changed the way I lift, probably forever...
    Which article?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naturally forgot to paste the link in . . . *sigh*

Everything You Know About Fitness Is a Lie - MensJournal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sladejw View Post
    Naturally forgot to paste the link in . . . *sigh*

Everything You Know About Fitness Is a Lie - MensJournal.com
    Thanks!

That article speaks the truth!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished reading the article and reading about Rob Shaul at Mountain Athlete. That guy has a solid approach to training athletes for performance out in the world and not creating gym rats. The ironic thing is at one time this is what CrossFit was about. At some point CF jumped the shark and became just another gym rat activity.

If you are interested in training for functional movement check out Mountain Athlete and Military Athlete.

And yes, he does have programs for endurance athletes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    Just finished reading the article and reading about Rob Shaul at Mountain Athlete. That guy has a solid approach to training athletes for performance out in the world and not creating gym rats. The ironic thing is at one time this is what CrossFit was about. At some point CF jumped the shark and became just another gym rat activity.

If you are interested in training for functional movement check out Mountain Athlete and Military Athlete.

And yes, he does have programs for endurance athletes.
    Thanks good stuff.
    All this rings true to me. Good to hear this validated as following your gut instincts gets old after a while.
    On a humorous note, a few months ago one of my therapy clients was complaining about lower back pain and sore abductors and asked for referrals to good sports docs. After some thought I decided to not go the usual route and be appropriate giving them the refferals...passing the buck down the road. Instead I suggested that what they really needed was some "hard fuk!n' work" in order to untangle the perils of sitting at their desk all day long. GASP!!!! I gave a prescription of stair running, bench jumps, stairs at work and jump rope in a simple periodized manner. Problem solved in three weeks. No orthodics, no meds, nothing medical required just some good hard @%$ work.

Sigh, if only everything was that easy.

BTW it is time to WiKi this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    ...Instead I suggested that what they really needed was some "hard fuk!n' work" in order to untangle the perils of sitting at their desk all day long. GASP!!!! I gave a prescription of stair running, bench jumps, stairs at work and jump rope in a simple periodized manner. Problem solved in three weeks. No orthodics, no meds, nothing medical required just some good hard @%$ work.

Sigh, if only everything was that easy.
    One of the many good things about my strength coach here in Austin, Joyce Luke, is here ability to see and diagnosis misalignment issues and trigger points. The first things she says when someone complains about a hurting knee, shoulder or neck is, "Did you roll out?" Next is, "Let's check for trigger points." Followed by, "Do this movement," where she watches for some sort of alignment. The majority of time, at least for me, the pain that at first seems like a strain is usually a trigger point... ofter times caused by misalignment of some sort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    One of the many good things about my strength coach here in Austin, Joyce Luke, is here ability to see and diagnosis misalignment issues and trigger points. The first things she says when someone complains about a hurting knee, shoulder or neck is, "Did you roll out?" Next is, "Let's check for trigger points." Followed by, "Do this movement," where she watches for some sort of alignment. The majority of time, at least for me, the pain that at first seems like a strain is usually a trigger point... ofter times caused by misalignment of some sort.
    She sounds like the real deal. Keep her close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have access to a Concept 2 or similar indoor rower? Core strength development plus excellent cross-training benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I'm hoping Chance Legstrong and others will chime in with some workouts here aimed at developing core strength.

FWIW I have a pair of pushup bars that I seldom use not core per se but anyone who incorporates pushups as part of his strength training I would love to hear suggestions. I usually do 3 sets of 10 pushups and call it a day. I know that is super weak but I try to focus on form and doing them right vs banging out a super set, but 10 reps feels like my plateau.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Velo News article on core workouts for cycling

Five ways to diversify your core training

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged