Thread: US Womans Soccer 4th World Cup

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: US Womans Soccer 4th World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by King Of Dirk View Post

.... I'll make up numbers, but let's say the ladies get 12% of a billion dollars and the fellas get 8% of six billion dollars. Are the guys underpaid? Should they demand the same percentage the women get? If, someday, the women generate as much revenue as the men, should their percentage go down?
    Title 9 has benefits reaching beyond collegiate sport. Taking that model to international sport would have huge ramifications to woman rights on a global scale. If male soccers don't like sharing I be happy to tell them to find another job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    I wonder...if Ms Rapinoe said "Make America Great Again" and wore a MAGA hat while accepting her awards, would you still be glad of her noise making?
    Or imagine that it was 4 years ago and she said that she wouldn't meet with President Obama. In either case, she would not be celebrated like she is now.

My biggest problem with her statements is that she said them before the team won the WC. IMO, while the tournament is still going on a player should keep their mouth shut. I feel that as a representative of the country one should represent all Americans and not just some. Once it's over, then she can say anything she wants, as is her right.

1: the 13-0 Thailand game. I know you don't let up at that level, but the celebrating of every single goal was not IMO showing good sportsmanship.
    2: Ms Rapinoe political statements. I don't agree with her opinion, and that's my right. I agree that she has the right to say what she wants - and I have the right not to watch her play.
    3: The "teacup" move vs the UK. Again, show some class.
    +11ty billion.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I was rooting for The Netherlands in the final. I would have loved to have seen the US Team taken down off of their high horse.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    Or imagine that it was 4 years ago and she said that she wouldn't meet with President Obama. In either case, she would not be celebrated like she is now.

My biggest problem with her statements is that she said them before the team won the WC. IMO, while the tournament is still going on a player should keep their mouth shut. I feel that as a representative of the country one should represent all Americans and not just some. Once it's over, then she can say anything she wants, as is her right.

+11ty billion.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I was rooting for The Netherlands in the final. I would have loved to have seen the US Team taken down off of their high horse.
    Weak sauce.
    Go back to watching Lou Dobbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Title 9 has benefits reaching beyond collegiate sport. Taking that model to international sport would have huge ramifications to woman rights on a global scale. If male soccers don't like sharing I be happy to tell them to find another job.
    I'm not ready to blame the players; I don't know that the male soccer players have been given the option. Have they? Is it the case that the women are paid less because the men won't accept less? If so, yeah - I'd send them packing too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got some pearls and fainting couches for sale, CHEAP, for those offended by the USWNT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Of Dirk View Post
    I'm not ready to blame the players; I don't know that the male soccer players have been given the option. Have they? Is it the case that the women are paid less because the men won't accept less? If so, yeah - I'd send them packing too.
    Title 9 has benefits reaching beyond collegiate sport. Taking that model to international sport would have huge ramifications to woman rights on a global scale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crashburn View Post
    I've got some pearls and fainting couches for sale, CHEAP, for those offended by the USWNT.
    It's not about being offended. Nor is it about Rapinoe's politics and outspokedness, which I heartily endorse. USWNT have a history of being sore losers (Hope Solo vs Sweden at Rio) and shitty winners (Thailand of course and Lindsey Horan at the post-England interview). Not everyone needs to aspire to being Lionel Messi, but if you want to be Ronaldo then there will be plenty, myself among them, who will cheer your losses and want to throw our collective beer at the screen when the U-S-A, U-S-A chanting begins.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while i care about the politics and all the nonsense, its not what gets me with this team, they are just humans, mostly 20 something humans, kids really

id just want to see beautiful football, and they didnt play beautiful, they played efficient. too many penalty goals, not enough team goals. i have a problem with the ugly way they play, i find it offensive a professional coach can take that level of talent and make them so boring as a whole. its just philosophy, winning is cool, but winning in style and beautifully like the French men did, now thats what the World Cup is about.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    It's not about being offended. Nor is it about Rapinoe's politics and outspokedness, which I heartily endorse. USWNT have a history of being sore losers (Hope Solo vs Sweden at Rio) and shitty winners (Thailand of course and Lindsey Horan at the post-England interview). Not everyone needs to aspire to being Lionel Messi, but if you want to be Ronaldo then there will be plenty, myself among them, who will cheer your losses and want to throw our collective beer at the screen when the U-S-A, U-S-A chanting begins.
    Point taken but I think plenty of the offended ARE reacting to Rapinoe's politics and god for forbid profanity. I did a quick search for Tim Thomas, the Boston Bruins goal tender who refused to visit the White House after they won the Cup in 2011. Guess what crickets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    id just want to see beautiful football, and they didnt play beautiful, they played efficient.
    I think half the goals scored in the final were quite beautiful.

TH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    I think half the goals scored in the final were quite beautiful.

TH
    all goals are beautiful, just ask the strikers. thats literally the one play i alluded to that was... soccer is not about goals, i mean it is, but its also about so much more. this is one of the reasons we dont do well with it in the states. we still dont understand that the object is only 65% to win and the other 35% is to play beautifully. its the most stunning game on the planet, the most artistic, the most free flowing, the most cerebral, the most like Jazz. This team does not understand that. US soccer doesnt get this. they played boring, safe, efficient. thats fine, but dont expect me to get excited by it. Im excited by good football
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the object is only 65% to win and the other 35% is to play beautifully.
    I'm going to try this at line my next performance evaluation review.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the object is only 65% to win and the other 35% is to play beautifully.
    Should there be a judged portion? Maybe we should weight the goals by 65% and the judged score by 35% to get the total score?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not going to try and explain the merits of doing something beautifully, this is a cycling forum, if you cant find pride in something done beautifully, thats fine, but dont pretend playing a game beautifully is a new concept. goals are goals, thats neat, and ineos will win the TDF, but do you all like the ineos froome machine winning the tour? or is it more fun to watch allaphillippe? sagan? wellens? WVA? US women are the froomes and ineos of women's soccer, ugly and efficient, lacking entertainment factor for those who understand what they are seeing. perhaps this will help you all understand the point, but i dont really care.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

im not going to try and explain the merits of doing something beautifully, this is a cycling forum, if you cant find pride in something done beautifully, thats fine, but dont pretend playing a game beautifully is a new concept. goals are goals, thats neat, and ineos will win the TDF, but do you all like the ineos froome machine winning the tour? or is it more fun to watch allaphillippe? sagan? wellens? WVA? US women are the froomes and ineos of women's soccer, ugly and efficient, lacking entertainment factor for those who understand what they are seeing. perhaps this will help you all understand the point, but i dont really care.
    Ugly and efficient, like written communication that lacks capitalization and punctuation?

Sorry, I couldn't resist that jab. I get your Froome analogy, but it's hyperbole. Hyperbole to the millionth power.

TH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+11ty billion.

So I'm sure you were first in line to condemn the President this week for suggesting that non-white congresswomen born here should go "back to where they came from" for having the gal to suggest ways for the country to better serve it's citizens...

Anyway, lots of pro-athletes have turned down White House visits in the past because of their political views. A big deal wasn't made of it when it was a conservative turning down Obama. You'll have to find some other couch to faint on.

Athletes passing on visiting the White House is nothing new — The Undefeated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djg714 View Post
    Weak sauce.
    Go back to watching Lou Dobbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    So I'm sure you were first in line to condemn the President this week for suggesting that non-white congresswomen born here should go "back to where they came from" for having the gal to suggest ways for the country to better serve it's citizens...

Anyway, lots of pro-athletes have turned down White House visits in the past because of their political views. A big deal wasn't made of it when it was a conservative turning down Obama. You'll have to find some other couch to faint on.

Athletes passing on visiting the White House is nothing new — The Undefeated
    I love how it is that since I express an opinion against Ms. Rapinoe's actions, I'm immediately branded a Trump supporter. Nothing could be further from the truth.

As I said earlier, my only problem with her actions was the timing of them and I would feel that way regardless of what party the President in office represents. IMO one should not make such a statement while the tournament is underway. I feel that while competing and representing the USA one should keep their mouth shut but once the competition is finished then one can say whatever they want or take whatever actions they want. I don't care if the entire team doesn't visit the White House or for that matter if zero athletes who are invited ever attend a meeting with the President.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said earlier, my only problem with her actions was the timing of them and I would feel that way regardless of what party the President in office represents. IMO one should not make such a statement while the tournament is underway.
    Wasn't she replying to a question from a (maybe lame) reporter who started fishing for the answers he/she ultimately got? That is what I remember as the genisis of this non-story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love how it is that since I express an opinion against Ms. Rapinoe's actions, I'm immediately branded a Trump supporter. Nothing could be further from the truth.

As I said earlier, my only problem with her actions was the timing of them and I would feel that way regardless of what party the President in office represents. IMO one should not make such a statement while the tournament is underway. I feel that while competing and representing the USA one should keep their mouth shut but once the competition is finished then one can say whatever they want or take whatever actions they want. I don't care if the entire team doesn't visit the White House or for that matter if zero athletes who are invited ever attend a meeting with the President.
    Some people have a problem with confident , assertive women.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Wasn't she replying to a question from a (maybe lame) reporter who started fishing for the answers he/she ultimately got? That is what I remember as the genisis of this non-story.
    Yes. But she could have answered in other ways...."We have to win first", "Who knows if we'll be invited?", etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast