Thread: Made in the USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Made in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Big fan of Oveja Negra, too...have an embarrassingly large number of bags from them.
    One of our local shops had their logo screened onto Wack Pack top tube and half-frame bags, and, well, the wallet kinda fell open on its own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Made co. They used to be in NYC and bought alot from them and then the sold to Duluth Trading. The enamelware is top notch, most made in the EU. I think Poland. Most of their stuff is in the USA, Japan, Germany and the EU somewhere.
    If you want enamelware that will last a lifetime but from them

https://www.duluthtrading.com/best-made/

Good workshop arpron

https://artifactbags.com/products/wo...37629526835395

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    it’s that maintaining a local economy sometimes depends on figuring out incentives and disincentives that have gutted these local economies and clearly don’t make any real sense.
    ^^^That starts to get into the meat of the issue.

We're not the world's low cost workshop anymore and that won't change; China and the rest of Asia are (and that won't change anytime soon, either). How do you order/arrange/regulate an economy (and build a supporting culture) so that enough decent paying jobs, supporting a stable standard of living and contentment, are available across the socio/educational/economic spectrum (particularly the bottom, say, 80%) when the types of jobs that made that possible in the post WWII era have been and will continue to be off-shored as rapidly as little-restrained capitalism can manage? Make it simple and ignore global environmental destruction, unsustainable resource consumption, climate change and such as that; how do you adjust to that in a peaceful, constructive fashion?

How do you do that when as a people we can't even get acknowledgement of those sorts of issues across party lines, never mind discuss them in any sort of civil, constructive manner. When someone like Bernie brings it up (few others will), instead of engaging the legitimate, underlying concerns/realities and demonstrable trends (which are supported by history), the opposition just screams "Commie". End of discussion, pass the gasoline can, spray liberally on conservative base, strike the matches and go full demagogue.

The weather forecast isn't good.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    ^^^That starts to get into the meat of the issue.

We're not the world's low cost workshop anymore and that won't change; China and the rest of Asia are (and that won't change anytime soon, either). How do you order/arrange/regulate an economy (and build a supporting culture) so that enough decent paying jobs, supporting a stable standard of living and contentment, are available across the socio/educational/economic spectrum (particularly the bottom, say, 80%) when the types of jobs that made that possible in the post WWII era have been and will continue to be off-shored as rapidly as little-restrained capitalism can manage? Make it simple and ignore global environmental destruction, unsustainable resource consumption, climate change and such as that; how do you adjust to that in a peaceful, constructive fashion?

How do you do that when as a people we can't even get acknowledgement of those sorts of issues across party lines, never mind discuss them in any sort of civil, constructive manner. When someone like Bernie brings it up (few others will), instead of engaging the legitimate, underlying concerns/realities and demonstrable trends (which are supported by history), the opposition just screams "Commie". End of discussion, pass the gasoline can, spray liberally on conservative base, strike the matches and go full demagogue.

The weather forecast isn't good.
    Didn't Trump also make a lot of noise about bringing back jobs to America? Whether he actually did is irrelevant in the context of assessing whether the subject is exclusive to the left of centre. On the right, it may just be a stunt to get more votes, but that still doesn't change the fact that the objective, if not the means, seems to be shared across the two parties?

Anyway, I think there is a severe limitation on supply-side economics when the market has a voracious appetite for cheap shit and people generally, implicitly expect others to work more or less for free.

If the majority were inclined to buy fewer, better things, it would be helpful.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't you bums go allllll po-litical here. This thread rocks.

So obvious > https://www.wintercutlery.com/s/shop

I've watched Eric's work progress at a phenomenal pace. I've got all the pocket knives I'll ever need. Kitchen knives need some work ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those are beautiful. If I did not have a kitchen knife set from J. Neilson coming I would get a set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    End of discussion, pass the gasoline can, spray liberally on conservative base, strike the matches and go full demagogue.
    So this is acceptable here? Beautiful.

John, do you blacklist any conservative who wants to buy your made in the USA frames, or is their money also green to you? I'm wondering how far you "walk the walk"...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Don't you bums go allllll po-litical here. This thread rocks.

So obvious > https://www.wintercutlery.com/s/shop

I've watched Eric's work progress at a phenomenal pace. I've got all the pocket knives I'll ever need. Kitchen knives need some work ;)

I have an excellent pocket knife I use daily, but the folding mechanism fills up with dirt, lint, wood, leaves and then won't fold or open properly. Has me thinking one of Eric's might be better for my current use.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KaBar-.jpg

KA-BAR Forged Wrench Knife: looks good in the shop, very affordable and made in New York. Not in the same category as above mentioned customs, but a good beater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    KaBar-.jpg

KA-BAR Forged Wrench Knife: looks good in the shop, very affordable and made in New York. Not in the same category as above mentioned customs, but a good beater.
    Eric Estlund has been making those out of old Campagnolo tools that owners can send in. Nice way to reuse a worn-out or obsolete tool.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got all the pocket knives I'll ever need.
    Does not compute. Then again, my pocket knife habit is as bad as my bike habit. On the topic of the thread, they're almost all MUSA.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I have an excellent pocket knife I use daily, but the folding mechanism fills up with dirt, lint, wood, leaves and then won't fold or open properly. Has me thinking one of Eric's might be better for my current use.
    Which knife is it? There may be a better choice for your needs. Then again, for hard use you can't go wrong with a fixed blade and Eric's look to be beautiful examples. He's on my list, for sure, though they're pretty enough that I'd have a hard time beating on them given some of the others that I have (I know, they're meant to be used).
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Eric Estlund has been making those out of old Campagnolo tools that owners can send in. Nice way to reuse a worn-out or obsolete tool.

Looks like they're actually better for spreading peanut butter!
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad and true I'm still using my Campy Peanut Butter wrench. Maybe someday I'll get better...never.

Jake, as the saying goes "if I have my pants on, I'm carrying a folding pocket knife". I have the same issue with all my pocket knives. Eventually the locks become partially obstructed with lint. Suggest you keep an old toothbrush someplace where it will remind you to scrub the lock mechanism every now and again.

I've got one folder that is impervious to abuse. The Chris Reeve, of course, never fails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Does not compute. Then again, my pocket knife habit is as bad as my bike habit. On the topic of the thread, they're almost all MUSA.

Which knife is it? There may be a better choice for your needs. Then again, for hard use you can't go wrong with a fixed blade and Eric's look to be beautiful examples. He's on my list, for sure, though they're pretty enough that I'd have a hard time beating on them given some of the others that I have (I know, they're meant to be used).
    It is this knife - https://www.monolithknives.com/colle...me-lock-folder

Mine is just the plain titanium with plain blade.

Nice knife. I carry it every day. It is sitting here on the table next to my phone, keys and wallet. I’ve used it hard. As a result I’ve had to disassemble it a couple times, and unfortunately the torx bolts at the rear of the knife are not up to the task. It needs better bolts. Pivot is just a ball bearing spindle with a single post stop that the end of the blade hits when fully open or fully closed. A spring “tongue” cut into the titanium locks the knife open. The problem as TT says is lint x everything that gets stuck on the post stop or the hook on the end of the blade that rests on the post stop, resulting in the knife not closing fully or staying locked open, either of which often results in blood. The thing is, my wife got it for me, and she is very proud of it and that I carry it all the time. So I need to just send it back to the company and have them replace the bolts and rejigger the post stop somehow.
    Last edited by j44ke; 07-10-2021 at 10:06 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sad and true I'm still using my Campy Peanut Butter wrench. Maybe someday I'll get better...never.

Jake, as the saying goes "if I have my pants on, I'm carrying a folding pocket knife". I have the same issue with all my pocket knives. Eventually the locks become partially obstructed with lint. Suggest you keep an old toothbrush someplace where it will remind you to scrub the lock mechanism every now and again.

I've got one folder that is impervious to abuse. The Chris Reeve, of course, never fails.
    Josh, try these: https://knifepivotlube.com/products/...nife-care-swab

Or, as you say, use a Chris Reeve. A Large Inkosi can take a beating and their spa treatment service will bring it back to tip-top (though I usually just hit mine on a Spyderco Sharpmaker and embrace the snail trails).

It is this knife - https://www.monolithknives.com/colle...me-lock-folder

Mine is just the plain titanium with plain blade.

Nice knife. I carry it every day. It is sitting here on the table next to my phone, keys and wallet. I’ve used it hard. As a result I’ve had to disassemble it a couple times, and unfortunately the torx bolts at the rear of the knife are not up to the task. It needs better bolts. Pivot is just a ball bearing spindle with a single post stop that the end of the blade hits when fully open or fully closed. A spring “tongue” cut into the titanium locks the knife open. The problem as TT says is lint x everything that gets stuck on the post stop or the hook on the end of the blade that rests on the post stop, resulting in the knife not closing fully or staying locked open, either of which often results in blood. The thing is, my wife got it for me, and she is very proud of it and that I carry it all the time. So I need to just send it back to the company and have them replace the bolts and rejigger the post stop somehow.
    Looks nice. Probably not designed for hard use with you living in woods these days. You may want to blast it with compressed air or use the swabs I linked above from time to time to avoid needing to do a full teardown. And it does sound like you're a good candidate for a fixed blade when on the homestead. If you want a recommendation for a hard use folder that can stand up to your abuse, let me know. There are some great options out there. Personally, I'd save the Monolith for more gentlemanly tasks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does it leak? If not I'll take two.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    Does it leak? If not I'll take two.
    Not so far, and I doubt any leak will come from the reel. The fittings are way above the quality of even the best hoses I have. They actually make their own hoses too, which must have fittings equal to the ones on the hose reel. There's a nice cinch feature that holds the hose in place so there isn't any stress on the connection. Plus that pipe in the center is the real deal. Nicely made. The one above does 125' of standard hose. You can double that I think and then also add a second set of wheels.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Josh, try these: https://knifepivotlube.com/products/...nife-care-swab

Or, as you say, use a Chris Reeve. A Large Inkosi can take a beating and their spa treatment service will bring it back to tip-top (though I usually just hit mine on a Spyderco Sharpmaker and embrace the snail trails).

Looks nice. Probably not designed for hard use with you living in woods these days. You may want to blast it with compressed air or use the swabs I linked above from time to time to avoid needing to do a full teardown. And it does sound like you're a good candidate for a fixed blade when on the homestead. If you want a recommendation for a hard use folder that can stand up to your abuse, let me know. There are some great options out there. Personally, I'd save the Monolith for more gentlemanly tasks.
    I think you are right. Only a matter of time before I break the tip off this blade I think. What do you recommend?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just went into a daydream about my steel Spectrum, the aura reaching from the the utility room below my home office desk is a daily distraction. But, that's a common Salon experience.

So, I'll just say Speed Queen washing machines. Can't kill 'em.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are right. Only a matter of time before I break the tip off this blade I think. What do you recommend?
    Fixed blade or folder?

For a fixed blade, I'd probably recommend something from ESEE if you want to beat on it without care. My camp knife is an ESEE 3 and it can take a beating. And their warranty is unbeatable. You break it, they fix it or replace it. And they're MUSA.

For a folder, we'll probably need to take this conversation to DMs to avoid boring everyone. It depends how hard you're actually using the thing and what size you want/like/need. Benchmade, Zero Tolerance, and Spyderco, just to name a few, all make a large variety of models and have at least one or two that can take a huge amount of abuse.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast